Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2023, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 1,734 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Anyone has applied amnesty for unpermitted work in the house?
Do you guys think it makes sense to utilize this opportunity?

First time home owner, has unpermitted work like fence and basement.
I wonder what I should do.

Thank you all for any advice or recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 08:39 AM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Is the town aware of the unpermitted work or are asking if you should initiate this process on your own will?

Old 10-14-2023, 08:46 AM

I don’t think the town aware, I just received a general newsletter from the town about this.

Old 10-14-2023, 04:11 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littledragon2023 View Post
I don’t think the town aware, I just received a general newsletter from the town about this.
Interesting I just found it

“ Oyster Bay Town Supervisor Joseph Saladino announces that the Town Board recently approved a Building Permit Amnesty Program to provide for a six-month period for homeowners and commercial property owners to obtain the necessary permits required on building improvements previously completed, without incurring late fees and penalties. This Building Permit Amnesty Program is open now through the end of 2023.

“This Building Permit Amnesty Program allows residents and business owners with unpermitted and previously-completed improvement projects to legalize their property and avoid costly fines and penalties,” said Supervisor Saladino. “All Towns require building permits on home and business improvements to ensure work is completed in accordance with workmanship and safety standards.”

The Town of Oyster Bay’s Building Permit Amnesty Program applies to all permits, including fence, decking, plumbing and all aspects of construction. Residents can call the Town’s Department of Planning and Development for additional information on their specific project.

During the amnesty period, standard fees will cover the entire building application process. To begin the process for a building permit”

The problem that’s not mentioned is if your items aren’t up to code then you can run into some big issues. If the work was done well and up to code your taxes will go up but you’ll be complaint which is nice for peace of mind. Especially if down the road your converting to let’s say natural gas or some other reason when the town will be in your basement.

You’d have to speak to some of your residents in the town to see how it went. A finished basement and if you don’t rent it out they should never find out about it so some don’t want time tax raise.

Biggest question is do you have an egress window at least if your basement ?

Fence you’ll need a survey I assume for town of oyster bay which is what we are talking about? Do you have a recent one from your home purchase that has the fence?

Last edited by 94nasupra; 10-14-2023 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-16-2023, 12:51 AM

Thank you for your reply 94nasupra!
Nope, no egress window for basement, but don’t plan on renting it out. I guess at this point probably not doing anything is the best way to go.

For the fence, already checked the survey, it only includes the fenxe from previously owner. I install like 6 additional panel on the side to make it look complete. Hopefully no one spot it out. (No permit)

Thanks so much for looking into this and to give me some pointers. Really appreciate it.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:16 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I

The problem that’s not mentioned is if your items aren’t up to code then you can run into some big issues. I
?
Bingo...and codes change often enough that I can almost guarantee your work is not up to current code.

unless this is true, it's not amnesty, it's a trap

Old 10-16-2023, 11:30 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Do not bring attention to your home. Those blood suckers in Oyster Bay just want your money. It's a fence, if you ever need to permit it due to majoe work on the home it's not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island