Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 03:11 PM

814 posts, read 442,633 times

Advertisements

I would support it but it would be extremely difficult to create, outside of never getting enough federal votes to make it happen.

Long Island is predominantly red, yet their votes mean nothing in a blue majority voting extremely liberal NYC. In fact upstate NY (north of the Bronx) is also predominantly red. Upstate would stand a better chance of making it happen, yet still would never get congress to approve, so each thought is a fantasy.

But I understand the frustration and reason, because their state doesn't represent their views, only those of a single city... albeit that single city has the largest voting block. I lived on Long Island for my first 50 years of my life. I went to NJ for a few years before going south. Now I'm in NC, where it's a purple state that better represents all voting blocks.

It feels like my vote means so much more for the first time in my voting life. I never felt that on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 03:31 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
We would be great as a state. We don’t have the economic resources to sustain. So the feds would be forced to financially support us! with the rite state Gov we could just claim poverty lower our taxes and feed of the feds $$.
So yo would add a state payroll to your current taxes and exactly who do you think the feds are getting the money you suggest will supporting LI from?

Old 10-12-2023, 04:01 PM

814 posts, read 442,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
So yo would add a state payroll to your current taxes and exactly who do you think the feds are getting the money you suggest will supporting LI from?
But would taxes go up or down?

Since LI'ers wouldn't have to supply Albany's constant budget shortfalls, maybe they wouldn't have to pay so much in State taxes.

And LI'ers wouldn't be beholden to the many unions that have a stranglehold on Albany/NYC.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:18 PM

259 posts, read 174,236 times
Will never happen. We can't even get Washington DC to be a state, never mind having part of a state split off and become a new state. Same thing in California and the "Jefferson State" that some out there want.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=SickofJersey;65946735]But would taxes go up or down?

Since LI'ers wouldn't have to supply Albany's constant budget shortfalls, maybe they wouldn't have to pay so much in State taxes.

And LI'ers wouldn't be beholden to the many unions that have a stranglehold on Albany/NYC.

I did not see that at all. They would be autonomous to rule as they see fit per the 3 separate areas, but we would still be part of the same state and just like now required to pitch in to cover shortfalls.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If LI where to become a state (obviously never happening) No state taxes. We need to be cash poor state and let the feds make it up w/ $$ from the rest of the country.

Old 10-13-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
If LI where to become a state (obviously never happening) No state taxes. We need to be cash poor state and let the feds make it up w/ $$ from the rest of the country.
Two different convos. I responded to the bill in the assembly as was posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island