Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 02:51 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
9 days..... 9 days no power
We also were out for 9 days but whereas Sandy was the reason for the power going out, Sandy was not the reason for the 9 days without power. The length of the outage was primarily due to the the greed and ineptitude of LIPA and it's contractors. They were more than willing to have us sit in the cold and rake in millions in overtime and contracts.

In my case I heard from a neighbor you could get your power turned back on by approaching an out of state contractor and bribing them. So, that's what we did. For a case of beer the contractor walked the line in about ten minutes, pulled the long circuit breaker pole from his truck and reset the circuit breaker. From the time of approaching the contractor to having power took all of about 15 mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2023, 05:16 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
12 days, and we live nowhere near the water.
Same with my ILs in Garden City.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:27 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,148,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
We also were out for 9 days but whereas Sandy was the reason for the power going out, Sandy was not the reason for the 9 days without power. The length of the outage was primarily due to the the greed and ineptitude of LIPA and it's contractors. They were more than willing to have us sit in the cold and rake in millions in overtime and contracts.

In my case I heard from a neighbor you could get your power turned back on by approaching an out of state contractor and bribing them. So, that's what we did. For a case of beer the contractor walked the line in about ten minutes, pulled the long circuit breaker pole from his truck and reset the circuit breaker. From the time of approaching the contractor to having power took all of about 15 mins.
If it wasnt for the out of state contractors I think I would still not have power.
They commented on how lazy the LI workers were. What would take the NY workers different crews ( one to cut tree, 1 to run.new wire and no one would reattach wire to house) the out of state crews did it all at once

Old 06-27-2023, 06:54 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:

What brand?

I'm asking for a friend.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:02 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Basically, low-lying land within a couple of miles of water is vulnerable to flooding and erosion. The mid-20th century, before most of development was completed, saw a lot of powerful cyclones hit LI. It can happen again.

Plus LI is a dead-end in emergency situations where being on the mainland is safer, with NYC being the cork in its bottleneck.
Face it; way LI is developed now unless relatively close to Queens, NYC (and maybe not even then) no one is getting off Long Island quickly in event of storm warnings. Further out east one happens to be more that would apply. Maybe with a week in advance warning things might be manageable, but how often would that happen?

Still early warning systems are streets better than thing were in 1938. If New England/Long Island ever sees another hurricane like the "Yankee Clipper" it's not going to be pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRGvSfQarhA

Old 06-27-2023, 08:00 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Face it; way LI is developed now unless relatively close to Queens, NYC (and maybe not even then) no one is getting off Long Island quickly in event of storm warnings. Further out east one happens to be more that would apply. Maybe with a week in advance warning things might be manageable, but how often would that happen?

Still early warning systems are streets better than thing were in 1938. If New England/Long Island ever sees another hurricane like the "Yankee Clipper" it's not going to be pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRGvSfQarhA
The fact that happened in 38 and there has been nothing like it in the NE since shows what an extremely rare event that was. Also most of the loss of life from that storm was due to the complete lack of warning back then.

Old 06-28-2023, 06:58 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
There's really no need for a mass evacuation though. Generally speaking, the only people that need to evacuate are those on the south shore. The vast majority of Long Island is safe from storm surge. For those inland, wind damage, trees, and loss of power are the main concerns, which can be costly and a pain, but aren't necessarily life threatening unless you happen to be outside during the worst of it.

Old 06-28-2023, 06:58 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
It’s never the same outcome for anyone on LI with these storms.

Hurricane Sandy I lost power for about 1 1/2 days. That was the extent of it. Then Tropical storm Irene my basement flooded. Never know what you’re going to get.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:25 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,698,912 times
Quote:

Doesnt surprise me....

My case was a down pole in someones back yard.... except the pole was a Verizon pole that LIPA pays rent on, so had to wait for Verizon to replace the pole, then the guys from Quebec to do the work while a LIPA guy stood there and watched

Old 06-28-2023, 07:54 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times
Quote:
What brand?

I'm asking for a friend.
Bud Light!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island