Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2023, 03:14 AM

407 posts, read 437,205 times

Advertisements

Today, I was watching an Ina Garten show where she had a firefighter make sloppy joes for his station. He was based in East Hampton. I noticed he had a pronounced Boston-y accent with a touch of New York to my ear. Ive never been to the area. Are the Hamptons and eastern Long Island an area where the eastern New England accents go into New York? Was fascinated.

https://youtu.be/PwNYK10STFc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 05:31 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,062,933 times
Someone may come along with more detailed of personal knowledge of this, but I have heard several people out on the forks are actually Boston Red Sox fans.

Carl Yastrzemski was born in Southampton, I believe his family may have been potato farmers, or something regarding the farming industry.

Old 05-07-2023, 07:18 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
I lived on LI for 59 years and I hear no Bostonian accent at all in this clip. The a's are way off. Paaahk the cahr.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:20 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I lived on LI for 59 years and I hear no Bostonian accent at all in this clip. The a's are way off. Paaahk the cahr.
Agree. My mom is from New Hampshire and that whole side of the family is still there. No NE accent here at all. You'd hear "cawbination" instead of "cahmbination". NE accident is more than just "pahk the cah". My relatives say "scawlahps" for "scallops". I could go and on but that accent annoys me and I don't want to think about it LOL.

This man has a fairly neutral NY accent, about what I'd expect from someone who is removed from the boroughs. Not everyone in NY has that heavy Joey Buttafuoco accent....people always ask me if I'm from PA lol (my dad is from Manhattan but his dad was from Ireland).

That said, the eastern end of Long Island is not far from New England and you can pick up NE radio stations out there.

Old 05-08-2023, 01:05 PM

21 posts, read 16,402 times
There is a notable accent for people that were the original founders of East Hampton, that some still carry today. The people I am speaking of are called Bonackers and the accent is called Bonac. It has many similarities to a New England accent, as the original settlers in eastern LI were from New England. There aren't many left that speak as such, but maybe the firefighter you heard was one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island