Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 01:46 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
The whole south shore corridor is becoming more like Elmont. One good town next to a not so great town from Valley Stream out through Suffolk. The borders between the towns blur each more everyday. Towns like Elmont are becoming the new norm for Long Island: more diversified and higher percentage of renters compared to previous generations.

If you think you can escape the creep in from the not so great town you are mistaken. Buying in the more expensive but somewhat whiter area is no guarantee it will stay that way. Spending top dollar on a house during a period of relatively high interest rates in a decreasing market may not be the best financial decision.

Elmont is an example of a town that is open for gentrification. Test scores are identical to Franklin Square. Valley Stream is another type town with similar potential. If they were in NYC they would be snapped up by young people. Public transportation is readily available, access to highways, and close to NYC for work make them desirable.

If Elmont was in NYC, it would be flooded by young folks looking for a bargain. It is weird that by crossing over the Nassau line the rules change.
Again you first prog. Go ahead an be the first one to move and lead the Elmont "Gentrification" charge. Put your money where your big mouth is while you fake virtue signal from your high horse.

Also Elmont is far from a "bargain" its housing is highly inflated like the rest of Nassau with the high taxes to match. Nor is it a terrible area, just very meh.

Last edited by peconic117; 11-13-2022 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 02:04 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Again you first prog. Go ahead an be the first one to move and lead the Elmont "Gentrification" charge. Put your money where your big mouth is while you fake virtue signal from your high horse.

Also Elmont is far from a "bargain" its housing is highly inflated like the rest of Nassau with the high taxes to match.
Progressive? Bring your bull**** to the Politics forum.
Just pointing out that there are lower cost of living areas on LI that work for some. It is a way to save some money if you need to live on LI.

Old 11-13-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Progressive? Bring your bull**** to the Politics forum.
Just pointing out that there are lower cost of living areas on LI that work for some. It is a way to save some money if you need to live on LI.
Only a Prog like you would write a completely tone deaf and virtue signaling post judging someone because of their preference for certain towns. Nor am I the only one who responded negatively to such an idiotic comment.

Old 11-13-2022, 02:31 PM

Yeah I am progressive lol. You dont know we at all. My family think I am far right politically.

Economically for a family whose budget wont allow them to go to a neighborhood they wanted, Elmont presents an opportunity that SOME may want to CONSIDER.

In an ideal world it is nice when a teacher from the district can financially invest in the neighborhood or a cop or other publically financed employee buys in the neighborhood. It helps strengthen the neighborhood. NYC has a residency requirement for its workers for the same reasons.

The OP is free to disregard my suggestion. I dont think they are beholden to follow any suggestions made here. It is a public social media site and they asked for opinions/suggestions. I gave mine.

I am.not sure of your emotional investment in my suggestion. Not sure how it got to be political, but that is on you. My suggestion could save the OP some serious money of the price of a house IF they were interested in it. It is not for everyone.

Younger people arent as afraid of people of different ethnicities and will live in more diverse areas. It is the future of LI as whites move out and are replaced by NYC transplants.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:25 PM

93 posts, read 41,782 times
Look, OP basically grew up in the area (NHP and GC), so he knows the relative deal and you should understand why he's not going to move to Elmont. It might be different if he and his family were black or something, but he's not.

Quote:

Elmont is an example of a town that is open for gentrification. Test scores are identical to Franklin Square. Valley Stream is another type town with similar potential. If they were in NYC they would be snapped up by young people. Public transportation is readily available, access to highways, and close to NYC for work make them desirable.
No, it really isn't ripe for gentrification (if you even understand what that term means), at least not "gentrification" by white people, and test scores in Elmont are not identical to those in Franklin Square.

Quote:

If Elmont was in NYC, it would be flooded by young folks looking for a bargain. It is weird that by crossing over the Nassau line the rules change.
Is Rosedale being "flooded by young folks looking for a bargain? Is Hollis?

Old 11-13-2022, 04:28 PM

93 posts, read 41,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link View Post

I grew up in New Hyde Park and later moved with the family 8 blocks SE to western Garden City, right by the Stewart Manor Train Station. She grew up in Franklin Square. Our parents are still in those same locations. While it would be nice to be close to them, i don't think you get much bang for your buck in New Hyde Park and Franklin Square. Floral Park is nice, but another town that doesn't seem to have much on the market in our price range.
Buy your parents a condo somewhere and take the house in Garden City.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah I am progressive lol. You dont know we at all. My family think I am far right politically.

Economically for a family whose budget wont allow them to go to a neighborhood they wanted, Elmont presents an opportunity that SOME may want to CONSIDER.

In an ideal world it is nice when a teacher from the district can financially invest in the neighborhood or a cop or other publically financed employee buys in the neighborhood. It helps strengthen the neighborhood. NYC has a residency requirement for its workers for the same reasons.

The OP is free to disregard my suggestion. I dont think they are beholden to follow any suggestions made here. It is a public social media site and they asked for opinions/suggestions. I gave mine.

I am.not sure of your emotional investment in my suggestion. Not sure how it got to be political, but that is on you. My suggestion could save the OP some serious money of the price of a house IF they were interested in it. It is not for everyone.

Younger people arent as afraid of people of different ethnicities and will live in more diverse areas. It is the future of LI as whites move out and are replaced by NYC transplants.
Lol you are a fool. And as I posted before your brilliant suggestion to buy in Elmont won’t save the OP any money. It is not even cheap there. Plenty of much nicer areas the OP could buy in for the median price of an Elmont home. If you are going to give advice at least try to give some useful advice!

Lol yeah some city workers have a residency requirement but hmmm strange cops and teachers DONT. In fact MANY live on LI, in fact thousands do. funny how that works huh? Guess many people don’t see it your way.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post
Look, OP basically grew up in the area (NHP and GC), so he knows the relative deal and you should understand why he's not going to move to Elmont. It might be different if he and his family were black or something, but he's not.

No, it really isn't ripe for gentrification (if you even understand what that term means), at least not "gentrification" by white people, and test scores in Elmont are not identical to those in Franklin Square.

I don’t think he has a clue what it means or even what he’s talking about on this subject TBH.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksuit View Post

H. Frank Carey scores/ranking versus Elmont Memorial High School

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...istrict-101039

As I said previously, it is not a decision for everyone and is certainly out of the box. Nor do I expect the OP to make that decision. I just feel Elmont gets a bad rap sometimes, and it is not as bad as some folks think it is.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Lol you are a fool. And as I posted before your brilliant suggestion to buy in Elmont won’t save the OP any money. It is not even cheap there. Plenty of much nicer areas the OP could buy in for the median price of an Elmont home. If you are going to give advice at least try to give some useful advice!

Lol yeah some city workers have a residency requirement but hmmm strange cops and teachers DONT. In fact MANY live on LI, in fact thousands do. funny how that works huh? Guess many people don’t see it your way.
I made a suggestion. People can entertain it or not.

Why don't you make some suggestions instead of being on the look out for "progs" or "woke" people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island