Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 06:26 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
No such thing as a new home in my area. Always leave a few walls up so it's a "more than 50% alteration." Trying to beat the taxman! Funny but not so funny watching them turn a levitt slab w/ some sticks into a McMansion and avoid the bulk of the taxes. But def a lot of improvements going on. That's less of a sign of LI's worthiness than low interest rates and a strong stock market. I'm sure the HELOC's are flying off the shelves as usual.
That rules been gone for atleast 7 years. Everything is a complete teardown. These tear downs aren’t Helocs, homes are purchased by investors / builders torn down and then resold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 06:29 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Sometimes that’s the case by me, but lately I’ve been seeing lots of demos to a literal hole in the ground. Completely new construction by developers. Taxes on these new houses have got to be 25k +. Insane
Depends on your SD, mine are in the 14s with star! Go to one of the surrounding towns from me they are 4-15k more per year.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:10 AM

297 posts, read 196,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
No one builds with chinese material. Lumber is all USA and Canada. Most joists today are going to be Pre fab I joists since you can run 40-50 ft w/o sistering. Most osb plywood is made in the state and Canada. Triple pan windows are a massive wast of $$. Windows are the biggest waste of $$ towards efficiency. Better off with a single pan window that’s is insulated properly. For 1m you could sure as hell build a insane house. New homes don’t even use 2x4 code is 2x6 exterior.

The older homes here are going away. Got on Plainview, syosset, East Meadow, hicksville, Bellmore, Merrick. New homes every where.

Are LI schools prob overrated, sure they aren’t poor and stony Brooke is a very good school.
Windows from many leading brands in EU imported to US cost about 6k for the entire house (just windows->installation everyone can do themselves), the same as Andersen give or take a few. We laugh at people who have Andersen, not because the windows are bad, but because they think they have it best whereas the world has moved ahead by 50 years already and the price is the same.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
That rules been gone for atleast 7 years. Everything is a complete teardown. These tear downs aren’t Helocs, homes are purchased by investors / builders torn down and then resold.
They are smart. They tear down a small house and build yet another poor house that looks nice and will not last 100 years. Some idiot will buy it thinking they got a good deal. Elsewhere, houses last for 700 years.

I took a look at some houses in MA (tend to be older), built in 1800's and they all look like they are going to fall apart, but when I see my grandparents house, it looks like it can withstand another Chernobyl blast. Yes, yes, we shouldnt be complaining as we make more money here, but why are the builders here, specifically in LI so bad?

Even in AZ or Texas in middle of nowhere, you can find a nice all brick or masonry 2k+ sqft ranch with high ceilings for < 250k and less than 2k in annual property taxes?

here, what do we get? a 1.5 story shoe box with walls that are less thick than my wrists? I get reminded of the 3 little pigs when I take a stroll on sunrise. It's disguisting and more concerning that people here think it's ok to live here. The rest tell you to "leave if you dont like it". That's by far the dumbest response as I wasnt asking where I should go to but rather how can they tolerate living in a house of quality less than that of a jail cell.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:26 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Dummies like to spend 700k on a lipsticked pig house.
Built to bare minimum code with the cheapest materials they can buy.
But they’ll spend a few bucks on granite countertops knowing that the suckers see that and go “wow”. Granite counters + vinyl siding= lol

Old 12-16-2020, 08:29 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
Current Town of Hempstead code. There is definitely a tax impact as well. Drive around most "new" construction in mid-south-central Nassau and you'll see the slab and original 4 walls left in place most of the time.

https://hempsteadny.gov/permits-and-...ntial-building

Old 12-16-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Dummies like to spend 700k on a lipsticked pig house.
Built to bare minimum code with the cheapest materials they can buy.
But they’ll spend a few bucks on granite countertops knowing that the suckers see that and go “wow”. Granite counters + vinyl siding= lol
lipstick pig house. thats going to make the book!

Where did you end up going to? Seems like you'd fit well in Arizona/New Mexico. I was thinking of that too as FL looks to be the next Belt Parkway.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Beat me to it. I remember these renos 2005-2010 in Brookhaven where it was a teardown less one wall that was encased within a new wall, which was laughable. It was the final loophole that got closed.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:51 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Exactly most of these are developers. And didnt they close that tax renovation loop hole?

Old 12-16-2020, 09:58 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
lipstick pig house. thats going to make the book!

Where did you end up going to? Seems like you'd fit well in Arizona/New Mexico. I was thinking of that too as FL looks to be the next Belt Parkway.
Ok so now you are saying any new houses built here are built with "junk" materials (as if you somehow know that which you dont, you just hate it here and think everything is bad) and somehow think mc mansions mass built in the south or southwest (like FL) or AZ) arent built with materials on the cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island