Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 28,247 times

Advertisements

I'm always confused by the elementary school zones in Jericho:

I have an impression that I-495 and 106 divide Jericho into 4 parts:

1. East of 106: no matter north or south of I-495, it's zoned to George Jackson. Though some of the housed on the east are zoned to Syosset;
2. West of 106, south of I-495: zoned to Cantiague;
3. West of 106, north of I-495, including some houses in Old Westbury and Brookville: zone to Robert Seaman.

Is that the correct school zoning? How about the gated community of "The Hunt Club of Jericho"? Are those town houses zoned to Robert Seaman or Cantiague?

I cannot find any info from zillow on each elementary school's zoning map. Is there a way of checking which school the house for sale is mapped to?

Last edited by Yac; 12-17-2020 at 02:50 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 09:12 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
call the district.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:13 AM

973 posts, read 1,409,076 times
As already stated, call the Jericho School District office and ask them "if you live at [address], which elementary school will the children attend?" However, keep in mind that intra-district school placement can change at any time at the whim of the Superintendent and/or School Board. What may be true today may not be true tomorrow. This is especially relevant if you are looking at houses to start a family, and your not yet conceived first child is still several years away from enrollment. Generally speaking, a School District may make adjustments over time in order to keep enrollments and class sizes somewhat equal amongst its several elementary schools. Also, some districts may enroll certain kids in certain schools based on needs that the child may have. A school district can even move their set up to something called the Princeton Model - where all K-1 are in one building, 2-3 in another, etc. The bottom line is that any particular house/student is not guaranteed to attend any specific school within a district.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:19 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Transportation dept. They have the actual (current) boundary maps. They require community approval (vote) to change. Same for distance requirements for transportation. Set by each district by community vote. Even the board cannot just willy nilly change Trans policies without the voters approval. The trouble is what change a majority approves may still mess up a # of others in the minority and they get very vocal about it. Sound familiar?! lol

Old 12-10-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Transportation dept. They have the actual (current) boundary maps. They require community approval (vote) to change. Same for distance requirements for transportation. Set by each district by community vote. Even the board cannot just willy nilly change Trans policies without the voters approval. The trouble is what change a majority approves may still mess up a # of others in the minority and they get very vocal about it. Sound familiar?! lol
Is this something unique to Jericho? Because a community vote is not generally required to change intra-district school assignments.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:16 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Is this something unique to Jericho? Because a community vote is not generally required to change intra-district school assignments.
Intra district assignments shouldn't have anything to do with transportation. You are either eligible for a bus based on address or not. The RULES for that distance and the boundaries are all based on vote. If they shut a building and have to relocate kids, that is a whole different matter. Doesn't seem like it happens much. I remember a recent attempt to close an elementary in Wantagh. The families went berserk. I would think any attempt to do that would need a valid reason and the parent would have some say or should put up a big fight. Regardless, I was responding to "Jericho School Zones" not really "intra district assignments."

Old 12-11-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Intra district assignments shouldn't have anything to do with transportation. You are either eligible for a bus based on address or not. The RULES for that distance and the boundaries are all based on vote. If they shut a building and have to relocate kids, that is a whole different matter. Doesn't seem like it happens much. I remember a recent attempt to close an elementary in Wantagh. The families went berserk. I would think any attempt to do that would need a valid reason and the parent would have some say or should put up a big fight. Regardless, I was responding to "Jericho School Zones" not really "intra district assignments."
I never said intra-district assignments had any anything to do with transportation rules. In any event, NYS law does not require a community vote to change intra-district school assignments, which is the same thing as changing "Jericho School Zones". Whether or not a SB would want to hold a vote for political reasons is another matter, but they would not be required to do so. The Jericho School Board, therefore, would be able to say "Elementary School X is too crowded, so Smith Street, Jones Street and Johnson Street kids now go to Elementary School Y" without a community vote, unless Jericho SD has some sort of local law or self imposed requirement necessitating a public vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: