Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 12:09 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Good for you - most high schoolers wouldn't have the nerve.

As for the OP - I wasn't implying you're wealthy because you live in GC, but .... you live in GC. Word gets around. If you didn't grow up there you probably don't understand to what extent.

Character is what you do when no one is looking - this applies to "I'm gonna cheap out on a sitter I never plan to see again" (except you do, if you need her till January). You think she's just ok now wait till you give her $10-$20. Again you never answered if you're home with her or not.
Under normal circumstances, I would not have spoken up, as we were very we'll taught to respect your elders, but this was a neighbor 4 doors away, who used to pay me to the 1/4 hour and he would write down if I "owed" him. The final straw was when I told them that she threw herself against the stove in a temper tantrum because I would not give her any snacks, and they immediately called 4 year old Wendy to ask if she got hurt and how she got her scrape. I guess they wanted to see, if she said I smacked her around. The little brat said, I got mad because she would not give me a snack and I fell. I bet if the kids said I did throw her into the stove they would have believed her.

As an interesting aside, my mom told the following story years later. I was a baby and my parents had a little rectangular pool with the 4 corners that were "seats". Mom had our next door neighbor and her little ones over and we were in the pool splashing. We were laughing and playing and the mom of Wendy, (above child) opened the gate into our yard and invited herself in. She was childless at the time and I apparently splashed and she got wet, as she stood talking to my mom and neighbor. She walked over to me, pulled me up by the arm, spanked me and put me down in the pool again. I was maybe 3. My mom said she was stunned and at first utterly speechless. Mom then proceeded to ask why she thought it ok to discipline me, as she was still very much alive, and very much my mother. She replied, that she thought my mom would have wanted her to reprimand me for bad behavior. My mom apparently blew at that point and told her that a) she was not to ever raise her hand to me ever again, b) children in a pool, splash that is what they do and C) since she invited herself in, she could now show herself out! I guess it is fair to say, they didn't make a lot of friends in the neighborhood. The really fun thing was at my moms' wake in 2003, one of the 63 kids that lived on the block when I grew up asked me to tell that story as it was legendary in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 12:54 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
She walked over to me, pulled me up by the arm, spanked me and put me down in the pool again. I was maybe 3. My mom said she was stunned and at first utterly speechless. Mom then proceeded to ask why she thought it ok to discipline me, as she was still very much alive, and very much my mother. She replied, that she thought my mom would have wanted her to reprimand me for bad behavior. My mom apparently blew at that point and told her that a) she was not to ever raise her hand to me ever again, b) children in a pool, splash that is what they do and C) since she invited herself in, she could now show herself out! I guess it is fair to say, they didn't make a lot of friends in the neighborhood. The really fun thing was at my moms' wake in 2003, one of the 63 kids that lived on the block when I grew up asked me to tell that story as it was legendary in the neighborhood.
DANG!!! The things that happened before smartphones LOL!

Old 12-11-2020, 03:51 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,405,223 times
Quote:
Under normal circumstances, I would not have spoken up, as we were very we'll taught to respect your elders, but this was a neighbor 4 doors away, who used to pay me to the 1/4 hour and he would write down if I "owed" him. The final straw was when I told them that she threw herself against the stove in a temper tantrum because I would not give her any snacks, and they immediately called 4 year old Wendy to ask if she got hurt and how she got her scrape. I guess they wanted to see, if she said I smacked her around. The little brat said, I got mad because she would not give me a snack and I fell. I bet if the kids said I did throw her into the stove they would have believed her.

As an interesting aside, my mom told the following story years later. I was a baby and my parents had a little rectangular pool with the 4 corners that were "seats". Mom had our next door neighbor and her little ones over and we were in the pool splashing. We were laughing and playing and the mom of Wendy, (above child) opened the gate into our yard and invited herself in. She was childless at the time and I apparently splashed and she got wet, as she stood talking to my mom and neighbor. She walked over to me, pulled me up by the arm, spanked me and put me down in the pool again. I was maybe 3. My mom said she was stunned and at first utterly speechless. Mom then proceeded to ask why she thought it ok to discipline me, as she was still very much alive, and very much my mother. She replied, that she thought my mom would have wanted her to reprimand me for bad behavior. My mom apparently blew at that point and told her that a) she was not to ever raise her hand to me ever again, b) children in a pool, splash that is what they do and C) since she invited herself in, she could now show herself out! I guess it is fair to say, they didn't make a lot of friends in the neighborhood. The really fun thing was at my moms' wake in 2003, one of the 63 kids that lived on the block when I grew up asked me to tell that story as it was legendary in the neighborhood.
If one of my neighbors did that to one of my kids my wife would pummel that neighbor. I mean screaming at the top of her lungs beating Moderator cut: language removed out of that neighbor. Cops would definitely be called.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-11-2020 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-11-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
If one of my neighbors did that to one of my kids my wife would pummel that neighbor. I mean screaming at the top of her lungs beating the ever out of that neighbor. Cops would definitely be called.
From what the neighbors recalled, my mom also asked her if my dad had appointed her as my guardian!! Mom was a firecracker, and when she told my sister and I the story, it sounded like her tone was similar to what you are talking about.

Like I said, mom died in 2003 and at the wake they were talking about it. That neighbor finally moved and said they wanted to be with "more of their own kind". When that comment got passed around another neighbor simply said "no loss."

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-11-2020 at 05:09 PM..

Old 12-11-2020, 05:48 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,405,223 times
Quote:
From what the neighbors recalled, my mom also asked her if my dad had appointed her as my guardian!! Mom was a firecracker, and when she told my sister and I the story, it sounded like her tone was similar to what you are talking about.

Like I said, mom died in 2003 and at the wake they were talking about it. That neighbor finally moved and said they wanted to be with "more of their own kind". When that comment got passed around another neighbor simply said "no loss."
That's just nuts. But where on earth would it be acceptable to spank your neighbors kid (that you barely know)? What kind of people were "their own kind?" Neanderthals? Lol.
RIP to your mom as she did the right thing.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:35 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
Quote:

OMG the nerve of that woman! If I had to watch her kid I'd probably start using drugs LOL. What was the wage for a babysitter then? When I babysat in HS it was anywhere from 5 to 8 dollars and hour.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
OMG the nerve of that woman! If I had to watch her kid I'd probably start using drugs LOL. What was the wage for a babysitter then? When I babysat in HS it was anywhere from 5 to 8 dollars and hour.
Late 60’s- 70’s 50 cents an hour. I kid you not, they had a pad on a bulletin board and if he didn’t have a Quarter, he would write that down as “overpayment “ 25 cents and the following week he would deduct the overpayment from what he gave me and reminded me of the overpayment!

It is so funny now that is about 50 years ago and it’s still aggravating to me when I think about that family. Probably says something about me still harboring these feelings so many years later.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:01 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
If I was watching that kid today I'd demand 15.00 and hour LOL

Old 12-13-2020, 12:22 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,534,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Hi all,

We started with a college aged sitter for our kids (age 5 and up) in mid-November. She's making about $300/week ($15/hr). Most likely she'll be gone by January. What's a decent Christmas tip (she's doing an okay job)/do In need any: I am proposing a $10-$20 GC as a token, my wife wants to give $50. What say you?
$10-$20? Insult. $50 if you are NEVER going to use her again. $100 if you ever need a favor

Old 12-13-2020, 12:54 PM

Oh and one more thing, skip the gift card, cash is king, especially for a college student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island