Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 01:25 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
As far as I know your local government would have cut down that tree and planted a new one without charge. Back when I lived in Nassau the village did this free, and even offered a tree selection for replanting.

Now that I live in a low cost/low tax area, the dead tree in the front is my responsibility. You do get a little less at times when the tax bill is 80% cheaper.

In NY, I paid in the ballpark of $150 to grind down a couple of stumps in my yard.

A sawzall has blades that are too small and weak. I tried this. I bought a detachable pole saw and gonna try out the 8" chainsaw to hopefully dislodge some stumps on my property.

Yeah, I have a cheapo Harborfeight pole chainaw that I'm willing to sacrifice on the rootball.

I did buy some large 12" sawzall blades, so I want to give that a shot also.

I love my Kobalt 18" cordless chainsaw too much to ruin. That saw and rotating three 80v 2amp batteries has cut down many trees that have fallen on my property into logs for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 01:45 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Harbor Freight could sell you a full size electric chainsaw for about $60. You could burn through that at low cost.

I broke two Sawzall blades trying to cut through the roots of a large bush. Tried out a Milwaukee cordless saw and an electric Dewalt saw. Both failed miserably.

Probably will have to get a tree service to cut down the dead tree in the front, as it's pretty big. I recommend you consider doing likewise.

At some point you will have to weigh the time cost of doing these jobs yourself, and also the risk of hurting yourself. As a professional yourself, you already know the value of leaving things to the pros.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:54 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I don't have real chainsaw.

I have a Lowe's Kobolt 18" electric cordless chainsaw. But it took care of that 60ft pine tree. I don't want to mess up the chain by cuttingthe rootball.

I was thinking of pressure washing all the dirt/rocks off and going at it with the sawzall with a 12" blade.

BTW, my wife is embarassed that I'm the only North Shore guy in the Roslyn area cutting up his own fallen tree instead of hiring a crew. Neighbors walking by looking at me funny. But I love doing this kind of stuff, including splitting logs into firewood with my 8lb maul.
You could try to power wash the rootball and yank it out with your vehicle.
Ah whatever. I applaud your manliness and ambition.
Might just be easier and less painful to just pay the 150-200 bucks for a grind.
*shrugs*

Old 12-07-2020, 03:39 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
As a fellow DIYer I would have done just what you did and would hire someone for the root. That could cause you to throw out your back and do some serious damage. People look at me funny too when they see me working on my car in the driveway but I don't care. I like to save money and take pride in doing the work myself.

Old 12-07-2020, 06:02 PM

783 posts, read 1,423,837 times
I'm a DIYer also but in this case paying someone to grind the stump for $200 is a no-brainer. To do it yourself, it's a hard day of work or longer.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:09 PM

101 posts, read 71,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
As a fellow DIYer I would have done just what you did and would hire someone for the root. That could cause you to throw out your back and do some serious damage. People look at me funny too when they see me working on my car in the driveway but I don't care. I like to save money and take pride in doing the work myself.
I had my car up on ramps a few week ago changing the oil one neighbor stopped as he was driving by and thought I was crazy

Old 12-08-2020, 07:41 AM

99 posts, read 54,708 times
If you can have it ground up for <$200 that is worth it. You will kill yourself trying to break it down with a reciprocating saw (plus will go thru dozens of blades). If you use a chainsaw, you will certainly semi-destroy the saw. In the end, you will spend around $100 in tools/blades so why not just hire it out?

Old 12-08-2020, 09:11 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
I ripped out a 4 smaller stumps from some Diseased hemlocks a few years back that I cut down. It’s worth the $200. I destroyed every blade I had, chain, reciprocating, circular. Probably $60 in blades plus I still had to dig and use brute force. We did drink allot of beer after the power tool usage was done and enjoy some whiskey though.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:19 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
I'm gonna give it a shot this weekend when I have the time and it warms up a little. Willing to sacrifice some cheapo Harborfreight power tools that are due for a better upgrade anyway. But if it looks like it will be tough, I'll hire a pro.

Old 12-08-2020, 05:29 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I don't think it's being cheap to DIY but if you are like my husband who has a bad back then a pro is who he would hire. We ripped out some Bushes and a small tree when we first moved here in 2003 with a heavy chain and his pick up truck. But when it came time to cut down the really big tree we hired someone. also nothing wrong with fixing your own car or changing the oil. My husband does that unless it's big job where he does not have the patience then we take it somewhere. But normal maintenance like brakes, oil changes, wiper blades, fluids, spark plugs etc... he can do himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: