Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2020, 03:59 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,169,191 times

Advertisements

Same - both look nice (to me - I know very little). Pros cons. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 06:32 PM

82 posts, read 80,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
Same - both look nice (to me - I know very little). Pros cons. thanks
Ultimately they're very similar places. Both towns are at the same price point & have that same blue-collar middle class vibe with most folks having many family members who are cops, firefighters and union workers; big Italian presence. Watch out for the potential risk of flooding in coastal areas of both towns. Schools probably perform on a similar level.

Lindy has a train station and a centralized downtown so it probably has the slight edge.

West Bab is a notch better as far as the housing stock and neighborhood 'niceness' to me. Belmont Park and the walking trails that connect to Argyle Park are close-by to many points in town so those who are active & nature lovers will probably like it better.

Last edited by OceanDude; 06-27-2020 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 11:25 AM

9,174 posts, read 13,272,093 times
Ocean Dude covered a lot of it. A couple of points to add:

Lindenhurst

A big plus for Lindenhurst is that Lindenhurst has a railroad station (village residents can get a parking sticker and use the village parking lot) which might be key in the future because there are signs this year that more people might be trying to get their families out of the city.

Lindenhurst has a small downtown area and maybe more of a community feel as everyone is with a mile or so of Wellwood Avenue, the main North-South road. Everything is centrally located on Wellwood Avenue, Montauk Highway or Hoffman Avenue (the railroad) or within a few blocks at most. This goes for most of North Lindenhurst as well.

West Babylon

In contrast to Lindenhurst, West Babylon is more spread out and spreads from the Southern State down to the Great South Bay and is several miles wide. There is no real downtown area (although see below) and nothing is centrally located.

On the positive note, there is very little industry in West Babylon (unlike Lindenhurst which has small factories near the railroad tracks) with the West Babylon part north of Sunrise pretty much close to 90% residential.

I should also mention that the Town of Babylon is trying to create a small downtown area for West Babylon on Little East Neck Road. They are also trying to do something for Wyandanch. Still nothing like Lindenhurst or Amityville and of course all are dwarfed by downtown Babylon Village.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:22 PM

I've read about the Downtown that was proposed near West Babylon HS. I really can't envision it over there. It's a very big, congested and dangerous 4+ way intersection and I doubt that it's safe for them to encourage more foot traffic in that area.

I also can't envision it being profitable since Babylon Village's downtown is pretty close and kind of already serves as the local downtown, despite it technically falling in a different jurisdiction. They would probably be better off trying to expand the small shopping area all the way up on Little East Neck Road near Herzel Blvd. But I don't know, I feel like that commercial area is already suitable for the area as it is.

Another important detail that we left out. West Babylon is split up between three different school systems... West Babylon, North Babylon and Babylon Village. Babylon schools are the most sought after while North Babylon is probably the least. All 3 are probably well-capable of delivering a quality education for a child with involved parents so I wouldn't get too caught up in splitting hairs. I agree that West Babylon will lack that intimate community feel and might feel divided at times because of the differing school district lines and the lack of a centralized downtown.

I think North Lindenhurst shares the same school system with Lindenhurst.

Last edited by OceanDude; 06-28-2020 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 07:10 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,153,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Ocean Dude covered a lot of it. A couple of points to add:

Lindenhurst

A big plus for Lindenhurst is that Lindenhurst has a railroad station (village residents can get a parking sticker and use the village parking lot) which might be key in the future because there are signs this year that more people might be trying to get their families out of the city.

Lindenhurst has a small downtown area and maybe more of a community feel as everyone is with a mile or so of Wellwood Avenue, the main North-South road. Everything is centrally located on Wellwood Avenue, Montauk Highway or Hoffman Avenue (the railroad) or within a few blocks at most. This goes for most of North Lindenhurst as well.

West Babylon

In contrast to Lindenhurst, West Babylon is more spread out and spreads from the Southern State down to the Great South Bay and is several miles wide. There is no real downtown area (although see below) and nothing is centrally located.

On the positive note, there is very little industry in West Babylon (unlike Lindenhurst which has small factories near the railroad tracks) with the West Babylon part north of Sunrise pretty much close to 90% residential.

I should also mention that the Town of Babylon is trying to create a small downtown area for West Babylon on Little East Neck Road. They are also trying to do something for Wyandanch. Still nothing like Lindenhurst or Amityville and of course all are dwarfed by downtown Babylon Village.
Where about son L.E.N? It’s funny but as kids we used to think of the area from Baur to Lexington as the town or the stores.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:14 AM

9,174 posts, read 13,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDude View Post
I've read about the Downtown that was proposed near West Babylon HS. I really can't envision it over there. It's a very big, congested and dangerous 4+ way intersection and I doubt that it's safe for them to encourage more foot traffic in that area.

I also can't envision it being profitable since Babylon Village's downtown is pretty close and kind of already serves as the local downtown, despite it technically falling in a different jurisdiction. They would probably be better off trying to expand the small shopping area all the way up on Little East Neck Road near Herzel Blvd. But I don't know, I feel like that commercial area is already suitable for the area as it is.

Another important detail that we left out. West Babylon is split up between three different school systems... West Babylon, North Babylon and Babylon Village. Babylon schools are the most sought after while North Babylon is probably the least. All 3 are probably well-capable of delivering a quality education for a child with involved parents so I wouldn't get too caught up in splitting hairs. I agree that West Babylon will lack that intimate community feel and might feel divided at times because of the differing school district lines and the lack of a centralized downtown.

I think North Lindenhurst shares the same school system with Lindenhurst.
I never heard about that and I cannot see it either. That is a busy intersection and the roads run together at odd angles, it would not be a good place to put another shopping center or two.

I am talking about further up Little East Neck Road north of Sunrise. There has been stores in that area for quite a while but I read somewhere how the town is looking to upgrade it. There are new streetlights, although I am not sure when they were put in.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I never heard about that and I cannot see it either. That is a busy intersection and the roads run together at odd angles, it would not be a good place to put another shopping center or two.

I am talking about further up Little East Neck Road north of Sunrise. There has been stores in that area for quite a while but I read somewhere how the town is looking to upgrade it. There are new streetlights, although I am not sure when they were put in.
Oh yeah, the area near the CVS. I haven't heard about them upgrading that strip of stores?

It's had those nice streetlights for a while; it's always been a well-maintained shopping area from as far as I can remember. I can't envision them making it even busier. It get's very congested with all of the Melville commuters during rush hour so it seems like a terrible idea to make that area even busier - especially since it's only one lane each way and there doesn't seem to be much room for it to be widened. Also, there's no exit for the SSP over there so one would need to be added in order to make the area accessible to more consumers.

Old 04-25-2024, 02:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,207,091 times
Bump. Same question 4 years later.
West Babylon Crime Rates and Statistics

Last edited by Yac; Today at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island