Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 08:14 AM

259 posts, read 176,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Just got the Ring 2 doorbell, actually love this thing. It covers my front porch and my entire front property.
Now I'm looking into getting the rest of the cameras they have. Anybody else have them?

The Ring doorbells are very insecure and are an easy backdoor for people to break into your home network/computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 12:46 PM

5,555 posts, read 7,154,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
The Ring doorbells are very insecure and are an easy backdoor for people to break into your home network/computers.
So are Smart TV's, Alexa, and all other gadgets, if there going to get you, they will with any device you have.

Maybe we should get rid of all gadgets and utilize the library again.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:42 AM

46 posts, read 40,975 times
I have all my smart things running on my guest network, with a different password than my "regular" 2.4 and 5ghz

Old 12-31-2019, 07:58 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,552,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
That's true only because most people don't understand basic security. I believe that the most popular password people use is still "password."

2FA and secure passwords can prevent 99% of the problems people have with security. (Along with realizing that some Nigerian Prince is not going to give them $23 million)

In any event, I think it is a bad idea to put personal/sensitive information on a 3rd party "cloud" server. Easy enough to work around that. Where you must do so, there are ways of encrypting that data (not with Ring - but there are other options).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
So are Smart TV's, Alexa, and all other gadgets, if there going to get you, they will with any device you have.
And that's not limited to internet devices. I remember the old baby monitors from back in the 80s... pre-internet. We would often pick up conversations from other homes in the neighborhood. Those had no passwords and no security. Amazing how many people had no idea they were broadcasting to anyone who chose to listen. We heard some strange conversations.

Quote:
Maybe we should get rid of all gadgets and utilize the library again.
Considering the library tax and its regular increases, I'll take my chances with connected devices. Basic online security precautions are an easier solution and much less expensive.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post

And that's not limited to internet devices. I remember the old baby monitors from back in the 80s... pre-internet. We would often pick up conversations from other homes in the neighborhood. Those had no passwords and no security. Amazing how many people had no idea they were broadcasting to anyone who chose to listen. We heard some strange conversations.
Ha ha, I remember that. When cordless phones came out I remember the lines got crossed and I was able to eavesdrop on a neighbors conversation...

Old 12-31-2019, 09:22 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,933,322 times
Wyze with a data-leak: https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/updated...-26-2019/79046

Old 12-31-2019, 11:05 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,803,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
That's true only because most people don't understand basic security. I believe that the most popular password people use is still "password."

2FA and secure passwords can prevent 99% of the problems people have with security. (Along with realizing that some Nigerian Prince is not going to give them $23 million)

In any event, I think it is a bad idea to put personal/sensitive information on a 3rd party "cloud" server. Easy enough to work around that. Where you must do so, there are ways of encrypting that data (not with Ring - but there are other options).

Considering the library tax and its regular increases, I'll take my chances with connected devices. Basic online security precautions are an easier solution and much less expensive.
Good post and well said 2FA and strong passwords will stop 95% of issues, as the vast majority of “hacking” is simply brute force (guessing the password) and the other 5% chances are very low as it’s very unlikely someone is going to waste time using other more advanced methods to break into someone’s useless home network.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:53 PM
exm

3,742 posts, read 1,805,245 times
I have a Ring 2 doorbell with Blink outside cameras. No need to stick 'just' with Ring.

And I do love the Ring 2, just get a second battery for convenience sake (so you'll always have a charged battery handy).

Old 01-06-2020, 09:17 AM

4,537 posts, read 8,363,094 times
I wound up getting this over the weekend. This should deter package thieves.

Old 12-04-2020, 12:33 PM

So just to give an update.
I ended up returning the ring doorbell to Costco for a refund, yes after one year - Costco is great for that.

I wanted the camera to record someone coming up my driveway and onto my front porch. Instead this Ring camera would start recording after they left my front porch and were walking down my driveway. What's the use if you can't get a look at the person's face. Ring support blamed it on my router and WIFI which is 8' away, (the same WIFI that streams movies into my house.)

Secondly my promotional plan ran out after a year and now I needed to pay them a yearly fee to view "delayed videos".

Screw that!
as other mentioned I will look into the Wyze cameras. Would be interested in getting a SD card as well.

Last edited by NYTom; 12-04-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island