Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 53,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
GCGuy,
What I was merely trying to point out was if this person was unaware of the huge cost of living after living in certain parts of Pa, she would be in for a huge shock. Pa is a pretty big state, you are really generalizing in your comments. LI is expensive everywhere, PA however has many different types of areas. Not only is the cost of real estate cheaper, my taxes, insurance, electric bill and cable bill are 1/2 of what they were on LI. I don't live in a less than desireable area. I am basing what I said on facts, not opinion, its cheaper, less stressful, much more scenic, and the quality of life has greatly improved.
As for crime being low on LI, yeah right! I still have relatives there, I know what goes on in their neighborhoods. How many people do you know with security systems and car alarms? Do they have these because there is no crime?
Hello I love PA,
I live on long island, been here for about 10 yrs. I can say that I have had only good experiences with the crime factor out here in selden(knock on wood). I do have alarm systems on both my house and my cars but the main reason is for ins purposes. I have never felt that I really needed them. There are isolated incidents(and I do mean isolated) but overall on a scale of 1-10 I'd give my town a 2. I agree with you about the high cost of living though. I 'm lookin to get out... where bouts do you live and is it accepting to interracial families? really interested let me know. thanks, Magnoliame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 12:30 PM

27 posts, read 165,066 times
Default Grew up on LI

What the other posters have said is true. You don't say where you will be working, nor whether you will be renting or buying a home, nor how far (time) you would be willing to commute. I grew up in Southampton and Hampton Bays. Those are great towns to grow up in as far as crime goes. It is practically non-existent. The stuff I see on a weekly basis in the local paper is people getting arrested for DWI or DUI. (You can order "The Southampton Press" to get a bit of the feeling of what it is like to live out there. It really is all there in that paper. A lot of politics out there too.) Which brings the problem with living out there, especially in the winter, there is not much to do. Some, stuff, but not like city life. New York City is about one and a half hours to get to by car. Oh, if you live on "The Island" you will need a car, unless you are VERY close to a train station or live further west (like towns others have posted) where you can catch some bus service. Yes, some things are expensive. The cost of homes is just rediculous! But I have to tell you, I moved to lower upstate New York (Ulster county) and I pay MORE in property taxes than my parents do in Southampton! The reason, I figure, is that the mansions in town and near the ocean cover a lot of the tax base and my town up here does not have those types of homes, and the needed tax money is more evenly collected. Hampton Bays is a very elderly town, though it has been undergoing a revamp from the younger set. You might have a better time of finding a home or rental there. Quogue, any town further east, Westhampton, some of the towns on the north side of the island are good. If you like the neighborly feel, don't move to Riverhead. Some little neighborhoods dot the area, but on the whole, it is run-down, the jail is there, it is the east end county seat so all service buildings are there, and the main shopping for the east end is there. They seem to be trying to revamp, but it is slow in coming. As for tolerance, it is better than it used to be. I am white and dated some blacks in school and I had to deal with the racism from both groups, but I think the tolerance is much better than that now. At least, when I visit and go out, I don't hear it or see it against others like I used to. There has been quite an influx of Hispanic people, many doing landscaping work. That seems to be more of a local's problem than mixed couples these days. Remember, the further east you go, the quieter it is (...that is unless it is the summer time and the rude people from the city are out! Watch the demeaner of the locals change when summer hits!)
Good luck and happy trails!!!

Old 02-04-2007, 05:55 PM

34 posts, read 123,670 times
hello, I live in Pa and I am going to tell you, there is nothing cheap in Pa anymore! Everyone from NYC is moving here and that is fine,but you have to understand, the gas is not dropping, my taxed have sky rocketed, it is going up to 12%, i hear people complain how there property taxes have gone up extremely high. It is nice that you want to live here because you think it is cheap BUT I have lived here all my life and there is no such thing as cheap! I live 45 mins from the poconos and the samething is happening to them. The lady was telling me after 1/07 there houses are going as high as they can sell them for. I live in easton,next to 78, and you are lucky if you can find cheap rent anymore! SO when people from New York say they left NY because of the pricing of houses , you aren't really getting to far away because nothing in Easton is cheap anymore! NOTHING!

Old 02-05-2007, 05:12 AM

I Love PA
That's funny that you say what you say about cost of living, because taxes where I am at is far from cheap,my cable bill went extremely high,and the crime is here no different from anywhere else! You felt living in Long island was stressful and that's ok BUT I already know what I am getting into, if I didn't know then I wouldn't be relocating. Just curious what did you do while you lived in Long Island? That does make a difference also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
GCGuy,
What I was merely trying to point out was if this person was unaware of the huge cost of living after living in certain parts of Pa, she would be in for a huge shock. Pa is a pretty big state, you are really generalizing in your comments. LI is expensive everywhere, PA however has many different types of areas. Not only is the cost of real estate cheaper, my taxes, insurance, electric bill and cable bill are 1/2 of what they were on LI. I don't live in a less than desireable area. I am basing what I said on facts, not opinion, its cheaper, less stressful, much more scenic, and the quality of life has greatly improved.
As for crime being low on LI, yeah right! I still have relatives there, I know what goes on in their neighborhoods. How many people do you know with security systems and car alarms? Do they have these because there is no crime?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:50 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,665,741 times
I can't wait to see how the crime gets in PA as many of the less affluent types move out of places like the Bronx to those cheap, wonderful PA pastures. It's already happening. I see it when I visit my wife's family.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:31 PM

491 posts, read 832,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplwh View Post
Look further North, like Williston Park, New Hyde Park...great areas, close to NYC, Roosevelt Field Mall...etc.
.......no Multi racial in Hyde Park-Floral Park.
Its mostly old school Italian's who fled Queens when the Puerto Ricans came in hordes after Johnson immigration reform act of 1965. They accept that as well as they do in Howard beach and Munsey Park

Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 PM

GCGuy,

Crime here is on the rise,so see what you mean! I get alot of people off who move here from NY when I say "you must have been chased off your block th at is why you came here", hehehe. And the poconos is not getting any better! You don't believe me ask me for a link and you will see yourself!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 PM

15 posts, read 103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetZ Riide View Post
I am goingto look into Bellmore. I am going to take my time when looking! I really appreciate the advice!
I wouldn't look in Bellmore.. I used to own a gas station there.. There are no mixed couples there.. It's mostly Jewish neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island