Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:25 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
First, that’s not a McMansion. It’s a cape with an attached garage.

Second, Wyandanch will NEVER gentrify, despite all efforts.
I used to say the same thing about Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:37 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
First, that’s not a McMansion. It’s a cape with an attached garage.

Second, Wyandanch will NEVER gentrify, despite all efforts.
Ha. You will eat those words my friend......... It doesn't need business investment. It needs immigrants who are willing to buy in and achieve and turn the school district around. That CAN happen and when it does the home prices will skyrocket. I have seen it happen in areas I would have never DREAMED would be expensive.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I used to say the same thing about Brooklyn.
Brooklyn is a BIG place. Lol. My uncle bought 2 brownstones back in the 80s for chump change. In bed Stuy Brooklyn. Sold both last year to the hasidm for 4 million............ Nothing stays the same forever..

Old 07-14-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Brooklyn is a BIG place. Lol. My uncle bought 2 brownstones back in the 80s for chump change. In bed Stuy Brooklyn. Sold both last year to the hasidm for 4 million............ Nothing stays the same forever..
Well, I live in Ridgewood. So when I think Brooklyn, I typically think Bushwick, Stuyvesant, Brownsville and ENY. Never in a million years would I have thought people would be moving into these neighborhoods the way they are today. Even Ridgewood I thought was going to go completely downhill. You just never know.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Ha. You will eat those words my friend......... It doesn't need business investment. It needs immigrants who are willing to buy in and achieve and turn the school district around. That CAN happen and when it does the home prices will skyrocket. I have seen it happen in areas I would have never DREAMED would be expensive.
Yep. That's how it started in Bushwick and Bed-Stuy too. An influx of immigrants first paved the way. And they did open up businesses.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:33 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
The city is a different animal than LI. Very rarely, if ever at all do the lower quality areas turn into desirable ones. Just the way it is.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:48 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times
Quote:
They’ve been saying this for years about Wyandanch and nothing has changed. It’s still a crap hole. Wyandanch Rising has had no impact on anything. Housing in the area is still dilapidated and the streets at night are unsafe.

But sure, I’ll eat those words. Make sure you bump this thread when it does.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
The city is a different animal than LI. Very rarely, if ever at all do the lower quality areas turn into desirable ones. Just the way it is.
I would have loved to have heard you say this same exact statement in the '90s while standing on any street corner on Myrtle Ave. And no neighborhood in Suffolk or Nassau had anything on this part of Brooklyn in terms of deterioration. Wyandanch is a cakewalk compared to what Bushwick once was.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:26 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times
I love the comparison of Wyandanch and Brooklyn. LOL

You know deep down what Brooklyn had going for it? Proximity to NYC and to the water.

You know what Wyandanch has going for it? NOTHING. Its a crappy land locked area smack in the middle of the island that's too far east to be interesting. What would be the driving force to gentrify this area? Why would anyone want to live here over dozens of other already nicer areas on Long Island? They wouldn't.

"Come to glorious Wyandanch where you can raise your family in a brand new million dollar home of your dreams!" is something you will never read.

Old 07-14-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I love the comparison of Wyandanch and Brooklyn. LOL

You know deep down what Brooklyn had going for it? Proximity to NYC and to the water.

You know what Wyandanch has going for it? NOTHING. Its a crappy land locked area smack in the middle of the island that's too far east to be interesting. What would be the driving force to gentrify this area? Why would anyone want to live here over dozens of other already nicer areas on Long Island? They wouldn't.

"Come to glorious Wyandanch where you can raise your family in a brand new million dollar home of your dreams!" is something you will never read.
Bushwick and Bed-Stuy are nowhere near the water. And even today their streets are still rougher than anywhere else on Long Island, yet they are still marketable. Nobody thought these neighborhoods would be fetching the real estate prices they are getting today a couple decades ago. Nobody.

Maybe we compare to Mastic Beach and Shirley then if gentrifiers need waterfront so badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island