Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:53 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Commuting from Suffolk County to Brooklyn 5 days a week is going to take a toll on you, esepcially if you're well past the Suffolk border. Maybe you should look into Nassau County or South Shore Staten Island.
I commute from Plainview/ Hicksville to Barlcays area and it's miserable by car. It's not doable at any hour of the day. The train is fine. Where the OP is looking going to BK daily is going to be miserable. The rare days I drive in are brutal doesn't matter when I leave 5am-10am are all atrocious. Luckily i only drive 3-5x a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 AM

73 posts, read 92,583 times
I just moved to Nassau (Stewart Manor on Floral Park border). My husband commutes to Brooklyn every day and goes in at off hours since he works for FDNY. It still takes him 45 mins plus and we live close (like 1 mile from Queens border). I would really look at that commute from Suffolk as that would be brutal, my cousin lives on Suffolk border and its a challenge to get into the city when she drives (which is very rare). Look in Nassau, much better commute and there are some really nice Villages (you won't get a lot of land, but who has time to take care of that anyway....in my opinion).

Old 03-17-2018, 07:41 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
West Islip
East Islip
Islip
Babylon
Sayville
Oakdale
Great River
Bohemia
Holbrook

Old 03-17-2018, 07:51 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
That commute is going to be hellacious - especially with kids - hope you have family nearby or helpful neighbors that can help out when school is closed or a kid needs to come home sick. Doctor/dentist visits, and all the other things that crop up with parenting kids that take you away from your job should be considered.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:12 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
OP,
I commuted for an year from Holbrook to Brooklyn for a year. 9-5 job, and that was 10 years ago, I heard the traffic has gotten worse.
I would do this ONLY if I have no other alternative left. Its bad, 90 mins one way peak hour. I know you are thinking of carpool, but it may not work that good with both of you doing it together, it takes all the flexibility out.

I would recommend Dix Hills, but you will have to use every bit of 700k to get in there, which I think should be worth it when you look back years from now.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:06 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I commute from Plainview/ Hicksville to Barlcays area and it's miserable by car. It's not doable at any hour of the day. The train is fine. Where the OP is looking going to BK daily is going to be miserable. The rare days I drive in are brutal doesn't matter when I leave 5am-10am are all atrocious. Luckily i only drive 3-5x a year.
Yeah, that's gonna be a real nasty commute, I highly recommend she look elsewhere.

I think she should consider Staten Island, it has spread out, white conservative areas that she's looking for, as well as lower property taxes than LI.

Old 03-17-2018, 07:12 PM

245 posts, read 319,616 times
This is an easy one. Suffolk won't be a great commute for you.. So make sure you're near a major highway.

At 700k, I wouldn't consider haugpaggue.

No question:
-Dix Hills (top choice by far)
-Commack
-Babylon

Old 05-25-2023, 06:42 AM

54 posts, read 29,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentz69 View Post
Sorry its been so long....We have checked about 20 houses since my last post. Since we have those certain "must haves" with the house, there are not many properties that fit exactly what we want. At this point I feel that we have narrowed down our search to Hauppauge, Nesconset, Commack, Smithtown based on the what we have seen so far. The search continues

5 days a week. We both work there

Thanks

good to know

Yea I can agree with that. Nassau has that as well

still dont want my lawnmower stolen LOL

We looked at a few homes in Setauket. Didnt find anything we liked in the other towns you listed. But we realized that even Setauket may be too far for us

Good point

Just curious where did you end up buying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island