Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 PM

8 posts, read 42,130 times

Advertisements

can anybody give info on newcomers club, playdates for six year old, camps, private pools i know very little. i know no other moms out there. My husband is starting new job in e.setauket. i have three kids twins 4 yrs and 6yr old and stay at home. also need good kid karate school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 10:17 PM

262 posts, read 1,233,212 times
Stony Brook and Setauket are great towns. It sounds like your 6 year old is school age so once he/she is enrolled in school, he will make plenty of friends to have play dates with. Three village school district is very good. Which school will your little one be attending? I have worked in all of the elementary schools and my own kids have gone there too.

There are no private pools that I know of but a wonderful swimming program at Stony Brook University. The district also offers swimming programs at the high school.

There are many summer camps. The most popular are the ones offered at Stony Brook U, and the Knox School. Most people enroll their children in the district camp which is the least expensive. If you're interested in private schools there is Laurel Hill School and Harbor Country Day School, both of which are good. There are many Karate places in the area but I can't tell you which is best. Soccer is also big here.

If you plan on putting your twins in preschool, Setauket Parent Playschool in Setauket is wonderful but very difficult to get into. (You might get lucky and find there is an opening). There is also a very good Montessouri preschool in Stony Brook. There are many other preschools in the area which provide a great opportunity to meet other moms.

Welcome to the Stony Brook/ Setauket area and good luck.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 AM

29 posts, read 144,208 times
There all over the place pull out the yellow pages and everything will be at your finger tips!! so much exciting stuff to do,for swimming i recomend The YMCA .......Hope you find what your looking for!

Old 12-13-2006, 04:48 PM

89 posts, read 345,730 times
You're going to love Stony Brook! It's a great downtown with fantastic restaurants. My inlaws live there. We live in Port Jefferson. My kids both went to the Setauket Parent Playschool. It was a co-op back then, don't know if it still is. Put your name in now. There is also a great preschool in downtown Port Jeff, I can't remember the name right now. Soccer is huge here, the pee wee leagues are so fun to watch. Best of luck and WELCOME!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:48 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,660,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohcorner View Post
You're going to love Stony Brook! It's a great downtown with fantastic restaurants. My inlaws live there. We live in Port Jefferson. My kids both went to the Setauket Parent Playschool. It was a co-op back then, don't know if it still is. Put your name in now. There is also a great preschool in downtown Port Jeff, I can't remember the name right now. Soccer is huge here, the pee wee leagues are so fun to watch. Best of luck and WELCOME!
Any recommendations? I've only been there once or twice and it was years ago, but I've been meaning to go back. Where is the downtown area that's nice?

Old 12-16-2006, 07:56 AM

89 posts, read 345,730 times
Downtown Stony Brook is opposite the Three Village Inn on Route 25A. They've added stores but still kept it quaint. During the holiday season they have horse drawn carriage rides. It really is lovely this time of year.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:30 PM

262 posts, read 1,233,212 times
We usually refer to that area as "Old Stony Brook" because of all the 100+ old houses there. This time of year there is a lovely candlelight tour of the historic houses in that area and Setauket. I highly recommend it.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:07 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,937,767 times
I'm sure the public library childrens dept has great activities that would help you meet other Moms right away. Stony brook is lovely, I grew up in Port Jeff.
You will love it there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island