Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,694 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are starting the house hunting process. We are wondering what to expect (approximately) to pay on a monthly basis for utilities.... We are looking for a smaller house probably something that is 3 bedrooms 1-1.5 baths and newer (so hopefully we won't loose heat to drafty windows) and located on Eastern Long Island.

How much can we expect to pay per month for:

Garbage pick up?
Electric?
Oil?
Water?
Gas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 04:46 AM

20,291 posts, read 21,051,087 times
Electric and oil will be the same as the rest of the island.
Depending on where you move you may have municipal garbage pick up. If not, best bet would be to ask some neighbors who they use. Or just bring it to the dump yourself.
Natural gas service is spotty. Haven't had any propane appliances in a very long time so I don't know the current rates.
Water may be well/ground, if so its free! The municipal water varies by towns so you would need to find out that info when looking. SCW is the biggest company.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:42 AM

157 posts, read 214,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace62386 View Post
My husband and I are starting the house hunting process. We are wondering what to expect (approximately) to pay on a monthly basis for utilities.... We are looking for a smaller house probably something that is 3 bedrooms 1-1.5 baths and newer (so hopefully we won't loose heat to drafty windows) and located on Eastern Long Island.

How much can we expect to pay per month for:

Garbage pick up?
Electric?
Oil?
Water?
Gas?

Thanks!
Don't rule out an older home due to drafty windows. It's cheaper to replace windows than buy newer, at times. My first house was an all brick cape with plaster walls. Once we replaced the drafty windows, we were sitting pretty in a toasty home during winter, and cooler home in summer.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,694 times
In the towns that we are looking there is no garbage pick up so we would have to drop off the garbage every week to the dump (which I don't love the idea of) or we will have to contract a service.... If the water is not well water how much can we expect to pay in SCWA? How much is the average household electric in the area? We don't currently pay for electric..

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:47 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,884,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace62386 View Post
In the towns that we are looking there is no garbage pick up so we would have to drop off the garbage every week to the dump (which I don't love the idea of) or we will have to contract a service.... If the water is not well water how much can we expect to pay in SCWA? How much is the average household electric in the area? We don't currently pay for electric..

Thanks!
You don't pay for electric? Stay where you are! Don't move an inch!

If you must move, garbage service can be had once a week for about $35 a month. Three bed, two bath house, three adult occupants, no pool, minimal irrigation usage about $150 a year for water. There's no such thing as a meaningful "average" for electric usage. Considerations for heating and hot water usage, air conditioning use, cooking frequency, if electric, how many people home what times of day, appliance age and usage, lighting types and habits all factor in.

Someone who has not paid for their own electricity may have expensive habits that are hard to break. I have a family member who runs the dishwasher daily, regardless of how full it is (or isn't), and always uses the heated drying cycle; if I was paying that bill, I'd be pencil whipping the actual expense to see how many trips to Paris I could have had instead.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 AM

20,291 posts, read 21,051,087 times
Don't expect to pay a penny less than $225 a month for electric.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:49 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,554,891 times
Its all relative. I just moved from Brooklyn, and my monthly Con-Ed bill for an 800 sq/ft 1 bd room condo in DUMBO was more per month then my current PSEG bill for my current 2400 sqft 4bdr house in long island. So I find it cheaper here in LI.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,884,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Don't expect to pay a penny less than $225 a month for electric.
A useless figure unless one knows what services are electric, how big is the house, how many people live there, what their habits are, etc., etc., etc.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:21 AM

622 posts, read 856,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A useless figure unless one knows what services are electric, how big is the house, how many people live there, what their habits are, etc., etc., etc.
Useless, maybe, but I can tell you the power supply charge will almost double your bill, so I don't think it's entirely baseless. I've had some recent months as low as $197, but generally I'd say my average across 12 months is probably $250.

The question I have and realize no one is talking about, the power supply charge was instituted when oil was rallying to $120/bbl and more. Today, a barrel of oil sells for almost at 1999 levels and it's stable. Natural gas has been at historic lows for years now (actually, I don't believe there are any oil-fired generators in PSEG land, they tend to be nat gas). BUT, WE STILL PAY THE ONEROUS POWER SUPPLY CHARGE! It's another LI fleecing, where homeowners buy in, but they don't leave without Chapter 11 protection!

Old 10-28-2015, 05:32 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,326,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Useless, maybe, but I can tell you the power supply charge will almost double your bill, so I don't think it's entirely baseless. I've had some recent months as low as $197, but generally I'd say my average across 12 months is probably $250.

The question I have and realize no one is talking about, the power supply charge was instituted when oil was rallying to $120/bbl and more. Today, a barrel of oil sells for almost at 1999 levels and it's stable. Natural gas has been at historic lows for years now (actually, I don't believe there are any oil-fired generators in PSEG land, they tend to be nat gas). BUT, WE STILL PAY THE ONEROUS POWER SUPPLY CHARGE! It's another LI fleecing, where homeowners buy in, but they don't leave without Chapter 11 protection!
You make a very good point about the power supply charge, especially as it would have to double again if they actually fixed the delivery infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island