Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 10:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,090,592 times

Advertisements

As said above, you guys just don't make enough to be able to afford a house at that number. You would be in such a better financial position to look at houses, condos, or coops in the $85-175K range as a starter home. Put 20% down and live there for 5-7 years. Save the remainder of your money. Then in 5-7 years when you are both making more money (hopefully), you'll be able to afford that expensive house.

You will be in foreclosure within 2 years if you continue on your current path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 AM

196 posts, read 419,913 times
I would never buy a home with that low income and nice nest egg, or if I did it would be a much cheaper starter home that you can stay in for 8-10 years while your salary climbs and you can let that nest egg build in value through investment. Then you can buy a much nicer home and be able to afford monthly payments with salaries. 200k in investments at about 6% a year = 12k a year that compounds = over 100k more money saved in 8 years. By then you should both be making considerably more and you can buy a great home.

Why have such a low income and then dump all of your capital into a home where you can't access it, that is not guaranteed to rise in value, when it can be in the markets making a lot more money?

Old 06-23-2015, 10:48 AM

200 posts, read 211,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Okay, so you have 2 years on the same "on the books job".. making $28K.

Your wife makes $40K "on the books job"........does she have two years on the same job?

What's the interest rate on your car loans?
She just got certified in what she studied for seven years. She has been working same job for two years making more each job she goes to.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,335,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
She just got certified in what she studied for seven years. She has been working same job for two years making more each job she goes to.
So she has 2 years of employment history, you either none or a couple of years "on the books". Have you factored in your reserves? The bank is likely going to want to see 6-12 months of money in the bank to pay your mortgage given the short work history, low income and high DTI.

This doesn't have to be cash, but I don't imagine either of you have this sitting in a 401K.

If you're desperate to buy I agree with the other poster and suggest you buy a condo. Because your income is so low you won't benefit from the tax writeoff, and you won't build much equity in the first 10 years anyway of a 30 year mortgage. If you are planning a family any time in the next 5 years the last thing you want to do is be house poor with the prospect of the main breadwinner taking 12 weeks off.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
So she has 2 years of employment history, you either none or a couple of years "on the books". Have you factored in your reserves? The bank is likely going to want to see 6-12 months of money in the bank to pay your mortgage given the short work history, low income and high DTI.

This doesn't have to be cash, but I don't imagine either of you have this sitting in a 401K.

If you're desperate to buy I agree with the other poster and suggest you buy a condo. Because your income is so low you won't benefit from the tax writeoff, and you won't build much equity in the first 10 years anyway of a 30 year mortgage. If you are planning a family any time in the next 5 years the last thing you want to do is be house poor with the prospect of the main breadwinner taking 12 weeks off.
The issue with the condo is that we need a home with a side entrance or back entrance for her to privately practice rather than shelling out 500-1000 to rent an office.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:05 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,607,778 times
Quote:
The issue with the condo is that we need a home with a side entrance or back entrance for her to privately practice rather than shelling out 500-1000 to rent an office.
Depending on where you are situated and your wife's business, that can open up a whole different can of worms...

Old 06-23-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Depending on where you are situated and your wife's business, that can open up a whole different can of worms...
Exactly, now you're talking about needing the house to be both a residential and business, which, depending on the town, can require different zoning and permit prospects.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Exactly, now you're talking about needing the house to be both a residential and business, which, depending on the town, can require different zoning and permit prospects.
Understood. Good point.

What would you guys suggest as price range for us? 299 and below will bring us into undesirable areas. We would like to be in the 300s.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Understood. Good point.

What would you guys suggest as price range for us? 299 and below will bring us into undesirable areas. We would like to be in the 300s.
I, personally, wouldn't want to put that full $200K down on a house. I'd want to save most of that. I'd look at small starter homes, condos, or coops. You can get coops in nice areas for low prices. There are some in Sayville that can be had for between $85-$125K if you want 1 or 2 bedroom units. Buy that, stay there for 5-7 years. Save, and earn more. Then you can buy that dream house, in the nice area you want, for $400+K.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM

400 posts, read 764,559 times
Quote:
Oddly enough when I spoke to a loan officer without running our credit I just wanted to know what type of loan the bank would give us at 200% down and 1000 in taxes etc. and the guy said $289,000 loan. That's what confused me because when I looked up homes for 450k our debt to income was at 50%. The math for me was 289+200 is $489,000 home to afford.

We can surely rent locally for 1800 a month. But why rent what we can afford a home and pay $1700 for rent and start a family in a few years and start building equity?
I completely understand where you are coming from. I am living in my first house for the last 6 years and I can tell you that owning has been much more expensive than I anticipated. There are alot of hidden costs and sometimes its very frustrating. I think your attitude in this discussion is great... Learn from what others are saying.. but I think you need to be concerned about over-extending.... Like any project, you need to adjust your budget for a 10%, if not 20% cost adjustment, so factor that in... It will help you in the long run, and you will be much happier for it. You can do a lot with 68,000 if you overcome the housing issue. Once you go down this path, there are costs that you wont recoup for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island