Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2006, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,551 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating form okinawa japan (we are a military family)We have recieved orders to garden city new york. What is it like there? We are thinking about available housing in uniondale. We have a child about to start elementary school next year so I am trying ot find a great school district in the area? I am orginally from a small town in NC so I am very nervous about this, but very excited too. Just dont want to make a wrong decision on the area we choose to live. I would appreciate any input or suggestions. Oh if you have advice on surrounding colleges in the area I am looking for one to finish my degree. Thanks Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 08:28 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
There is military housing in East Garden City next to Nassau Community College. These homes are huge and beautiful old style colonials. There is an onsite military shopping area (PX? I'm not military so I don't know if that is the right way to say it, but I've treated military families who lived there).
Uniondale is the district for this housing development, which is an okay district, they get lots of $$ from the nearby Roosevelt Field shopping center. You will be 3 minutes from the Nassau Coliseum, where the NY Islanders Hockey team play; 30 minutes from Jones Beach, 2 minutes from a cool LI Children's Museum and Cradle of Aviation Museum.
Colleges within a 10 minute radius include Nassau Community (within walking distance as you are literally on the campus) which offers associate degrees; Hofstra University and Adelphi University are excellent schools as well.

A second option in the housing wqas some military garden apartments on the Uniondale/ East Meadow border. THese apartments are okay, but not nearly as nice as the Garden City housing. The 2 developments are about 5 to 10 minutes apart from each other, so all of the above info regarding colleges pertains. Both are close to the Meadowbrook Parkway which can connect you to northshore or southshore parkways or the Long Island Expressway.
The Long Island Rail Road has a stop in Garden City for easy transport into NYC.
Garden City itself is an exclusive, beautifully maintained village with lots of stores and parks. If these military houses were up for private sale, they would easily be worth well over 1 million dollars!
Don't be worried about this relocation,Long Island has a lot of great things going for it, and is very kid friendly. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:08 AM

40 posts, read 199,615 times
Thumbs up Garden City Great Place to Live.

Garden City is a Very Rich, Pretty awesome town. You'll be close to everything restaurants, 2 mall Roosevelt Field(one of best in the US) and the Source Mall and Hicksville mall in about 20min away. Great public transportation. Good schools in Garden City, almost no crime and lots of activities for kids.

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island