Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:53 AM

715 posts, read 1,237,260 times

Advertisements

I lived in Los Angeles for almost 4 years. Parking is a whole business in LA. I had to pay to park pretty much anytime I went somewhere (mall, restaurant, even my school). I've parked in 7 story parking garages and 4 stories below parking garages; yes, even in earthquake epicenter LA they have parking garages below ground. Some of the garages even have a digital meter telling you how many spaces are available on each level. Garages can be done on Long Island without looking like an eyesore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM

198 posts, read 253,124 times
Limited resource needs to have price to control the demand -- basic economics really.
-- plus stops people from abusing. What they should do is actually charge different prices based on the number of spots available...

Old 05-07-2014, 11:33 AM

570 posts, read 1,218,028 times
This is just one of Petrone's newest money-making schemes. I wouldn't be surprised if he got something out of it, like campaign contributions.

Interesting, Patchogue just got the very same meters and there was an article recently in Newsday where the businesses are complaining because they feel that the fines are too excessive and are keeping people AWAY from shopping! I'll bet that Huntington will ultimately experience the very same issue.

The most expensive meters are on the two main thoroughfares, NY Ave and Main St. You can hardly drive down those roads at certain times of day, no less try to park. If someone puts enough money in the meter for three hours, rather than the old two hours, how is that freeing up spaces? People who only want to pick up take-out dinner or a coffee won't want to put $1 in a meter! And they won't want to park blocks away to avoid the meter for a two minute pick up.

A parking garage on Elm St would be ideal. It could be built into the hillside and landscaped nicely so it won't be an eyesore. As long as Petrone keeps giving new businesses parking variances so they don't have to provide additional parking spots for their customers, we are going to have a continuing problem.

I have a feeling that the local neighborhoods are going to see an increase in both traffic and parking in front of their homes by people trying to avoid the traffic jams and the lack of parking spots. These new meters are only going to make matters worse for those of us who live here. Out of towners won't care.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 PM

198 posts, read 253,124 times
What makes Huntington nice -- is the walkable downtown if you keep piling on parking lots ... the town becomes a giant mall and will lose its appeal.

http://usa.streetsblog.org/wp-conten...rochester1.png

Last edited by mikeroz; 05-07-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 01:42 PM

883 posts, read 3,726,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I lived in Los Angeles for almost 4 years. Parking is a whole business in LA. I had to pay to park pretty much anytime I went somewhere (mall, restaurant, even my school). I've parked in 7 story parking garages and 4 stories below parking garages; yes, even in earthquake epicenter LA they have parking garages below ground. Some of the garages even have a digital meter telling you how many spaces are available on each level. Garages can be done on Long Island without looking like an eyesore.
Exactly! Most busy downtown areas have parking gargages and many are underground or disguised somehow. It doesn't have to be an ugly concrete structure that screams 'parking garage' lol!!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroz View Post
What makes Huntington nice -- is the walkable downtown if you keep piling on parking lots ... the town becomes a giant mall and will lose its appeal.

http://usa.streetsblog.org/wp-conten...rochester1.png
In a bustling downtown area, growth is inevitable. What would you suggest?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:26 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,800,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
I like meters because it keeps spots open for people actually interested in downtown shopping. I used to get very frustrated in Port Jefferson never finding spots-until they put in the nuisance meters. Is 1 buck an hr worth it to do my business in town? Personally I think it is a little high, I like a quarter/half hr, b/c some people are just picking up take out ect and a dollar really is uncool for ten minutes of use.
In contrast, I used to shop in PJV but stopped once the meters were installed. I refuse to pay to park to pick up take out. I place a note on my dashboard that states I am picking up food.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,651,857 times
Personally, I can't stand the music that's piped out of speakers at some of the corners in Huntington Village. Makes it feel as if I'm walking around in a shopping mall.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Personally, I can't stand the music that's piped out of speakers at some of the corners in Huntington Village. Makes it feel as if I'm walking around in a shopping mall.
Wow I have never noticed this- it's not just music coming from stores with open doors??

Old 05-07-2014, 06:39 PM

483 posts, read 672,679 times
Maybe to prevent loitering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island