Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 PM

14 posts, read 26,161 times

Advertisements

Hi...I will begin commuting to the city in a month and planning using the Gibson station in Valley Stream. I don't live close enough to walk, but can obtain a parking permit. Aside from the 2 small lots, it seemed like there was a lot of residential street parking available. Is it ok to park on the side streets there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM

18 posts, read 29,817 times
The two small lots fill up pretty quickly & are full pretty much all day unless you get there pretty early. The residential streets are very safe but there is a 4 hour parking limit on all streets unless you use metered parking. The main VS LIRR Station only a few minutes away by car has more parking available than the Gibson Station.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Thanks. I don't have to be in until 9:30 so I'm catching a later train. I heard VS gets filled up by 8 and noticed the metered parking at Gibson was available at Gibson at 8:30. Will probably stick with that unless I'm in the City late.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:38 AM

236 posts, read 473,798 times
If you have to drive to the train station, there really is no point in using Gibson over VS. Gibson is pretty much set up to serve those who are walking from the surrounding areas. There is an extremely limited amount of parking, and the meters (Gibson Blvd/Munro Blvd) are for the stores around the station, not for commuters (judging by the time limit). I don't know exactly what the parking rules are on the books, but I'm sure there is a good reason why there are very few commuter cars, if any, parked on the surrounding streets.

Meanwhile, VS has a ton of parking. You might have to walk a bit, but I doubt you'll be left without a spot. Have you looked at the lot maps?

http://mta.info/lirr/images/stationm...lleystream.pdf

http://mta.info/lirr/images/stationmaps/gibson.pdf

Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 AM

23 posts, read 65,576 times
Even though it looks like Valley Stream has a ton of parking, everything is filled up early and stays thay way pretty much all day. You may find a few meters on the street along The Village Green. The only reason these spots have been available lately is because the village recently increased the cost from 25 cents per hour to 25 cents per 1/2 hour which doubles the cost and people have probably found other ways to get to the train instead of paying that high amount.

You figure most full time workers are parked there at least 10 hours a day which would now cost $5 per day ($25/week, $100/month, $1,200/year!!). To some, that may not seem like a lot, but when you add it up, it sure is.

If you are an Inc. Village of VS resident, you can probably still get a permit, but those spots are limited and it doesn't guarantee you a spot. Forget about getting a non-resident permit which sell out as soon as they go on sale, and now they're giving first preference to people who had a permit the previous year, then a few leftovers are available to others.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2013, 06:08 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
The VS lot is full by 7:15.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:31 PM

Will stick with the Gibson meters. They are for 12 hours. Will cab it to lynbrook station when I'm staying out after work.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-13-2023, 06:25 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,682 times
Bumping for current feedback. Apparently by 730 am the little bitty station is all fillled up and the indoor waiting. stationihouse appears indefinitely closed for repairs. Just in time foe winter. Does anyone know exactly how early you have to get there to get parking? Coworker just moved to a coop in Gibson and had to work from home twice now because he couldn't get parking and is unable to walk. By 7 am? 630? 6? Before 6? Thanks.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:32 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Some people go the Valley Stream station on Sunrise which has a bigger lot and there are 2 different train lines that stop there, rather than Gibson. The parking permit is the same.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:37 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Some people go the Valley Stream station on Sunrise which has a bigger lot and there are 2 different train lines that stop there, rather than Gibson. The parking permit is the same.
Thanks. Tried to rep you but said I must spread it around. Do you know what time that fills up? It seems confusing because there are multiple lots and most seem to require parking permits. I also hear that lot isn't much better because if you get there after 7 - it's already full too. Yes? Lol we are trying to get this guy to the office so we can ALL get our work from home days, and not just the guy who can't find LIRR parking for his trains. One problem with flexible hours, when you get the later shift, everyone else is already apparently on their way to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island