Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM

238 posts, read 1,957,608 times

Advertisements

I realize this question could easily be answered by making a phone call, but I figured I'd start here.

We'll be closing on our house later this week and would like to have a shed installed in the backyard ASAP. The house is in the Town of Hempstead, and the shed I've been looking at is 10'x12'. If it matters, we wouldn't be pouring a concrete foundation - I've heard that a poured concrete foundation makes the structure "permanent", though I'm not sure how accurate that is. We'd be using cinderblocks instead.

Do I need a permit for this? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question, but we're first-time homeowners and have no clue about this kind of stuff.

Also, as a side note, does anyone know what the penalty is for having one without a permit? Is it the kind of thing where they may fine you and then force you to get a permit, or would they make you take it down?

Last edited by CuriousGeorge13; 06-10-2013 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
yes. also could require a variance depending where in the yard you want to put it. check the codes online. The shed companies will agree to any BS and will NOT be responsible for code violations.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:22 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
I realize this question could easily be answered by making a phone call, but I figured I'd start here.

We'll be closing on our house later this week and would like to have a shed installed in the backyard ASAP. The house is in the Town of Hempstead, and the shed I've been looking at is 10'x12'. If it matters, we wouldn't be pouring a concrete foundation - I've heard that a poured concrete foundation makes the structure "permanent", though I'm not sure how accurate that is. We'd be using cinderblocks instead.

Do I need a permit for this? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question, but we're first-time homeowners and have no clue about this kind of stuff.

How tall is it? I belive they cannot exceed 9ft in height. Check the variance--it has to be at least 2 feet from the property line. Hope you have good neighbors. You're just moving in and already want to put in a shed. A lot of people don't like sheds. A friend of ours put up a really nice one and the neighbor went nuts. Make sure the surveys are in order and accurate. My friend's survey and his neighbor's were off by a few feet making the whole process a nightmare.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
How tall is it? I belive they cannot exceed 9ft in height. Check the variance--it has to be at least 2 feet from the property line. Hope you have good neighbors. You're just moving in and already want to put in a shed. A lot of people don't like sheds. A friend of ours put up a really nice one and the neighbor went nuts. Make sure the surveys are in order and accurate. My friend's survey and his neighbor's were off by a few feet making the whole process a nightmare.
I believe the height is just under 9 feet. The company we'd be using to install it requires a distance of at least 3 feet from the property line. I guess we're good on both fronts.

I can't speak for the neighbors, but we have a brand new survey - it's needed for the closing.

Think we'll be alright?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I believe the height is just under 9 feet. The company we'd be using to install it requires a distance of at least 3 feet from the property line. I guess we're good on both fronts.

I can't speak for the neighbors, but we have a brand new survey - it's needed for the closing.

Think we'll be alright?
They had a brand new survey too. Turned out the fence on the property line was off by a few feet so it looked like there was more property on my friend's side. My dad's survey was also different than his neighbor's. If the shed is just under 9 feet then you can't concrete the foundation because it will make the structure taller.

It sounds like you'll be alright but definitely check out the ToH site regarding permits. Good luck with the closing and congratulations!

Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
They had a brand new survey too. Turned out the fence on the property line was off by a few feet so it looked like there was more property on my friend's side. My dad's survey was also different than his neighbor's. If the shed is just under 9 feet then you can't concrete the foundation because it will make the structure taller.

It sounds like you'll be alright but definitely check out the ToH site regarding permits. Good luck with the closing and congratulations!

I think you're making a bigger issue out of it than it is.

to answer the OP's question

Yes you need a permit Shed Permit - ToH
restrictions are listed on the page.. however in certian building zones they are more restrictive. I know in mine its 120sqft as max size.

I built a shed at my old house without a permit
it was caught when i tried to clear out an old open permit at the time of sale (for a garage that was never built)

I had to file for a permit, pay twice the application fee and that was it.

I also kept everything in line when I built correctly regarding set backs etc. but was a little over height. I actually asked the inspector before I filed... he said and I quote... "I'm not going to bring a tape measure."

I actually built mine. but I'm sure they see these pre built ones all the time. I don't think you should worry about height as an issue unless you are building it tall.

I don't think you should worry about your neighbors either, its a shed, keep it in the required set backs and be done with it.

I'm sitting here debating in my new house, what to do regarding a shed. I want to build one... I don't want to go through the hassle of filing plans, but I know I should. I'm more concerned with the delay than anything else.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post

restrictions are listed on the page.. however in certian building zones they are more restrictive. I know in mine its 120sqft as max size.

it was caught when i tried to clear out an old open permit at the time of sale (for a garage that was never built)

I also kept everything in line when I built correctly regarding set backs etc. but was a little over height. I actually asked the inspector before I filed... he said and I quote... "I'm not going to bring a tape measure."

I actually built mine. but I'm sure they see these pre built ones all the time. I don't think you should worry about height as an issue unless you are building it tall.

I don't think you should worry about your neighbors either, its a shed, keep it in the required set backs and be done with it.

I'm sitting here debating in my new house, what to do regarding a shed. I want to build one... I don't want to go through the hassle of filing plans, but I know I should. I'm more concerned with the delay than anything else.
Thanks for the advice.

I, too, am concerned about the delay more than anything else. I don't want our bicycles, lawnmower, gardening tools, etc., sitting in the middle of our living room for months while the paperwork is being sorted through.

Any idea how long the process takes?

Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post

Please explain how I'm making a bigger issue out of it than it is. People put up sheds without the proper paperwork, incorrect surverys, sheds that are too big, etc. There is nothing more frustrating than thinking you have everything in order and then a half an inch or a foot can screw up everything. My friend, who had the issue with his neighbor, his shed ended up being over 9 feet. He didn't think it would be a big deal because he had it set all the way in the back but his neighbor complained that it blocked sunlight--totally ridiculous. This was just a few months after they moved in.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,065 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

I, too, am concerned about the delay more than anything else. I don't want our bicycles, lawnmower, gardening tools, etc., sitting in the middle of our living room for months while the paperwork is being sorted through.

Any idea how long the process takes?
Setbacks are key and depending on level of ba**buster of the inspector, height can be just as much of an issue. If it's a corner lot in ToH remember the insane rule that there are 2 front yards (one on each facing street), 1 side and 1 rear and NOTHING can go in the "front" without a variance. If it's not a corner lot you probably needn't worry about that, just the 3 feet prop. line setback. As for the delay, you can always put it up, making sure it's legal and, as noted above, the permit fees will double for "existing structure" but that would probably only total a few hundred bucks tops. Might be worth it to you, might not.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Setbacks are key and depending on level of ba**buster of the inspector, height can be just as much of an issue. If it's a corner lot in ToH remember the insane rule that there are 2 front yards (one on each facing street), 1 side and 1 rear and NOTHING can go in the "front" without a variance. If it's not a corner lot you probably needn't worry about that, just the 3 feet prop. line setback. As for the delay, you can always put it up, making sure it's legal and, as noted above, the permit fees will double for "existing structure" but that would probably only total a few hundred bucks tops. Might be worth it to you, might not.
Thanks. Does it need to be 2 feet from the property line, or 3 feet? I ask because whatever the minimum is, I'd probably add 6 inches just to be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island