Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 02:25 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Who cares? If I wanted to live in an upscale community I would pick one that fits me
what size are you?
Quote:
and most likely on the mainland so I am not trapped.
trapped? Has someone or something ever prevented you from leaving your home?
Quote:
Most people I know would select Westchester when discussing an upscale community to settle in.
I'm curious to see the results of the poll you surely must have conducted in order to arrive at such a conclusion.
Quote:
I have more respect with Anderson Township with a population of @43,00 than Plandome Village, on the island’s north shore, has 1,300 . When your population is that low your town/village is the equivilant of an HOA down here. At least Anderson Township like Scarsdale Village has a respectable population that makes it look like an actual community.
Plandome Village has noted your lack of respect and is terribly hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Plandome Village has noted your lack of respect and is terribly hurt.
I'm sure they will get over it..

Old 06-02-2013, 03:55 PM

131 posts, read 332,700 times
Where the Rich (Still) Live--Bloomberg

Where the Rich (Still) Live - Businessweek

"In fact, while the wealthiest towns are found in a number of states across the country, there was, perhaps unsurprisingly, a fair amount of clumping. For example, nine towns on Long Island's North Shore made the list: Brookville, Lloyd Harbor, Munsey Park (Manhasset), Muttontown, North Hills, Old Westbury, Oyster Bay Cove, Roslyn Estates, and Sands Point."

Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
America's Most Affluent Neighborhoods - Forbes

"Dominating the list beyond D.C. and Dallas is Nassau County on Long Island, New York, which boasts four towns in the nation’s top ten. Already one of the 12 richest counties in the U.S. with a median household annual income close to $100,000, Nassau is home to pockets of even greater wealth.

Plandome Village, on the island’s north shore, has 1,300 residents and median household income of $248,036, according to the Census Bureau. Just a couple of miles away, the incorporated village of Munsey Park, an upscale section of the town of Manhasset, boasts roughly 900 households (nearly 3,000 people) making $227,716 a year. Village law in Munsey Park mandates that all homes be of colonial architecture. And if you’re having a garage sale – go ahead, but signs around the neighborhood promoting it are prohibited. Wall Street suburbia has its standards.

Another Long Island enclave on the list: Oyster Bay Cove, home of original old money estates that have since been sold and sliced into housing lots. The grave of Theodore Roosevelt, whose nearby Sagamore Hill home was dubbed the “summer White House” during his presidency more than a century ago, sits in the middle of a local bird sanctuary. The last Long Island pocket: Hewlett Neck, the wealthy section of a group of abutting villages called “The Hewletts,” where residents enjoy access to the south shore ocean and to New York City, just 20 miles away."
This was the list I was referring to, it's actually from the IRS, not Forbes:

The Richest Zip Codes In The United States [PHOTOS]

Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM

131 posts, read 332,700 times
Nassau County and Suffolk County are also wealthier than Westchester and Fairfield. Even more impressive considering both Nassau and Suffolk are considerably more populous than Westchester and Fairfield.

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nassau #12 at $91,414
Suffolk #23 at $84,106
Fairfield #44 at$77,289
Westchester #47 at $77,006

Fairfield and Westchester are not even close.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Nassau County and Suffolk County are also wealthier than Westchester and Fairfield. Even more impressive considering both Nassau and Suffolk are considerably more populous than Westchester and Fairfield.

List of highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nassau #12 at $91,414
Suffolk #23 at $84,106
Fairfield #44 at$77,289
Westchester #47 at $77,006

Fairfield and Westchester are not even close.
If you like the finer parts of North Shore Nassau and can afford them, that's all that matters.

What is really hilarious is that some of the people on here so ferociously downing it in favor of Westchester and CT live in average working to middle class 30 years past their prime south shore LI towns anyway and could not afford the finer parts of Nassau's North Shore if it meant the firing squad so why are they even dissing it. Just crazy.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm sure they will get over it..
I don't know. I drove through there today and saw a lot of "for sale" signs.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Is quality of life for an UMC wealthy family better in the North Shore of Long Island (NSLI) vs. Fairfield vs. Westchester? Based on our research, we concluded that it is.

Shopping: Winner is NSLI. Americana Manhasset (nothing in Fairfield or Westchester can compare). Add in local shopping in Great Neck, Wheatley Plaza, Walt Whitman Mall, Garden City and its just not even close.

Commute to Manahattan: What beats the Port Washington Line in Great Neck, Manahasset, Port Washingon? Answer: Nothing.

Schools: Are the public schools in Fairfield and Westchester any bettter than Manhasset, Great Neck, Jericho, Cold Spring Harbor, Roslyn? I don't think so. Maybe Bronxville and Scarsdale are or are on the same level and that's it.

Totality and Diversity of wealth: NSLI wealth is just as high or even higher than Westchester and Fairfield but also more diverse. Lots of entrepreneurial money in the North Shore. Lots of real estate owners, owners of businesses, plus Wall Street and other corporate commuters, inherited wealth, etc. Westchester and Fairfield are too heavily reliant on Wall Street only. NLSI is overall wealthier (Kings Point, Sands Point, Brookville, Old Brookville, Old Westbury, Upper Brookville, Lattingtown, Matinecock, Oyster Bay Cove, Cove Neck, Cold Spring Harbor, Lake Success, Roslyn Estates, Roslyn Harbor, Roslyn Heights, Manhasset, North Hills gated communities, Locust Valley, Llodd Harbor, Mill Neck, etc. I am not even including NE Queens border towns like Douglaston Manor, Little Neck Hills that have homes that sell for 2-3mm +. There is an uniterrupted series of UMC/wealthy towns for 25 consecutive miles from Bayside Queens through to Huntington north of the Grand Central and Long Island Expressways.

Recreation: Fairfield and Westchester don't have access to as many and as high quality beaches and pools as residents of NSLI. Also the variety of summer camps in NSLI beats Westchester and Fairfield (Pierce, Shibley, Buckley, Friends Academy, Portledge, etc.) Country clubs on NSLI like Piping Rock Club, Piping Rock Beach Club, all the yacht clubs, etc.

Private Schools: Fairfield and Westchester probably have NSLI beat on this front. We want our kids to stay in public though so it's not an issue. NSLI privates are not bad (Friends Academy, Portledge, Greenvale School, buckley Country, etc.)

Picturesque villages: Fairfield and Westhceshter don't have cute dowtown villages that rival the Village of Roslyn, Village of Cold Spring Harbor, etc. National Historic sites.

Access to the Hamptons and North Fork: NSLI wins

Access to Airports: We travel a lot. NSLI wins

Variety of housing stock: NSLI wins--Ritz Carlton North Hills; gated communities in Manhasset, Woodbury, North Hills; luxury rentals in Roslyn, Great Neck; urban living in dowtown Great Neck; estate living in Locust Valley 2 acre minumum zoning towns, Old Westbury, waterfront living options, small village type living like Munsey Park, etc.

In all of the above I am only focusing on the NSLI and not including other upscale ares of Long Island like Garden City, Hewlett towns, Rockville Centre, etc. If you include these too, I think Long Island beats Fairfield and Westchester hands down.

In its article on the 1%, NYTimes said North Shore of Long Island has the highest concentration of 1% in the country so NSLI must have something going for it.
Bzzzzp! The correct answer was "any railroad that doesn't terminate at Penn station"
Ding

Old 06-03-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Bzzzzp! The correct answer was "any railroad that doesn't terminate at Penn station"
Ding
Up your knowledge of what terminates at Penn Station. The LIRR is not the only one. Or are we being dramatic here and saying any and all of them are bad precisely because they terminate at Penn Station? If so, please explain the reasoning. That should be interesting.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:28 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Up your knowledge of what terminates at Penn Station. The LIRR is not the only one. Or are we being dramatic here and saying any and all of them are bad precisely because they terminate at Penn Station? If so, please explain the reasoning. That should be interesting.
And?
City-data doesnt have a non-sequitur award, if thats what you're angling for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island