Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Yes, I know, thanks. The point I'm getting at is when I try to conduct my own search and pull up either the school report card or test scores, it only shows the test results and other stats for 7th and 8th grade ONLY. How can I see results for test and other stats for each individual grade the way they break down 7&8?

Now the college thing has me wondering-what if students decide to attend college, let's say, 2 or 5 years after they graduated high school? Is that tracked in these rankings or are the college rankings based on college attendance IMMEDIATELY after high school? Know what I'm sayin'?
As far as I know, you can only go by regents for HS
https://reportcards.nysed.gov/files/...0252070004.pdf

On the tracking question, it only records 2010-2011 completers.

Last edited by Pequaman; 05-01-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,260,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
As far as I know, you can only go by regents for HS
https://reportcards.nysed.gov/files/...0252070004.pdf

On the tracking question, it only records 2010-2011 completers.

Ahh, got it. So if students decide to go to college, lets say, 2 years after HS, then they totally screwed up the school ranking LOL

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,005,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budsvtec View Post
Awesome Mac Arthur High School in Levittown came in at 85.2.
Yes, something positive for my 7% tax increase (even though I voted for a 3%increase). I am surprised that:

a) beat Wantagh and Seaford
b) Division and Island Trees so much farther down the list.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 AM

909 posts, read 1,840,888 times
Quote:
Ahh, got it. So if students decide to go to college, lets say, 2 years after HS, then they totally screwed up the school ranking LOL
Another thing to consider, most of the middle to lower middle class areas have a high 2year college enrollment for a reason. Not everyone can afford a 500k home and not everyone can afford 25k a year to send their kids to a state school forget about top ranked. I don't see how these aspects makes one better than the other.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,350,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Thanks Pequa.

That's also why Mount Sinai SD ranks higher. They have no special needs programs.
I thought this list was set up so that the special needs population didn't skew the data. Pequa?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Another thing to consider, most of the middle to lower middle class areas have a high 2year college enrollment for a reason. Not everyone can afford a 500k home and not everyone can afford 25k a year to send their kids to a state school forget about top ranked. I don't see how these aspects makes one better than the other.
I completely agree, that's why I think including the college enrollment, or maybe lack of college enrollment, shouldn't be used in these rankings. I know kids who graduated from lower income high schools and went off to 4 yr colleges on scholarships. I also know kids who barely graduated from the higher ranking schools and basically bummed around.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,941 times
Quote:
I completely agree, that's why I think including the college enrollment, or maybe lack of college enrollment, shouldn't be used in these rankings. I know kids who graduated from lower income high schools and went off to 4 yr colleges on scholarships. I also know kids who barely graduated from the higher ranking schools and basically bummed around.
Every list out there uses 4-year as the biggest variable. Some use it as high as 33-50%. This one is 20-25% and incorporates 2-year into the mix. Think of it this way: Even if you take out the 4-year data, do you think the list will look much different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I thought this list was set up so that the special needs population didn't skew the data. Pequa?
I'm a little confused by Lancet's comment as well. I'm assuming he means it allows schools like Mount Sinai to focus more of their resources into General Ed programs? Not sure.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM

840 posts, read 2,450,047 times
i still don't understand escalating drop-out rates. i don't know anyone in 25 years who has dropped out of hs

Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM

283 posts, read 582,706 times
Tnx for posting,

Glad to see plainview up there!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Every list out there uses 4-year as the biggest variable. Some use it as high as 33-50%. This one is 20-25% and incorporates 2-year into the mix. Think of it this way: Even if you take out the 4-year data, do you think the list will look much different?

I'm a little confused by Lancet's comment as well. I'm assuming he means it allows schools like Mount Sinai to focus more of their resources into General Ed programs? Not sure.
Hmmm, it's possible, no? If only 59% going on to 4-year College and 54% with advanced regents designation is true or accurate then wouldn't removing that low percentage increase the score? It only takes 1 low score to affect the overall average. If I consistently maintain B's and B+'s but I fail 1 test or get a C, it will lower my average, right? The variable also excludes students who are not going into 4 yr colleges but are joining the military and THEN getting a college education. Gotta love metrics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island