Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:18 AM

37 posts, read 136,430 times

Advertisements

We've been looking for a home for over a year, and it seems that homes in GC are falling much faster than other areas such as Manhasset and Port Washington. Even the prices in Rockville Centre seem to be staying stable. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Delayed reaction. Skyrocketing taxes. Lots of crappy homes that need a ton of work, and buyers just aren't putting up with it anymore.

When we were looking at home back in the mid-90s, homeowners in GC were the worst offenders for not keeping up with their homes.

A lot of houses that were selling for around $1 million 5 years ago are really not that big either. They may look big from the outside, or they are in the Estates section, but get inside and it's like the space disappeared. Buyers have wised up to that too.

I also think that when people sell, they want to sell quickly....if you've got someone who has been in their house in GC over 10 years, they probably are still going to make money even if the price has dropped from what it was a year ago or 3 years ago. So they aren't going to let it sit and sit.

Our former neighbors just sold their house for $100K less than we did - totally comparable to our old house and with a nicer yard. But they've been in that house almost 20 years - they aren't losing money on the deal by any stretch.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 AM

82 posts, read 261,014 times
What are your impressions based on? Not quite sure if this is really the case.

However, I will say that after looking at houses last year, my impression is that the realtors in GC - as compared with Manhasset and Port W - almost never price a house to sell quickly. They almost always start with an asking price that is more suited to 2007, and then reduce 20, 30 or 100k at a time. In some instances, there is no cutting from the 2007 price, and the house just lingers on the market six months and is then taken off without a sale.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,346,140 times
I think this shows a definite economic shift for Garden City, probably fueled by While Flight.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 AM

239 posts, read 509,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Delayed reaction. Skyrocketing taxes. Lots of crappy homes that need a ton of work, and buyers just aren't putting up with it anymore.

When we were looking at home back in the mid-90s, homeowners in GC were the worst offenders for not keeping up with their homes.

A lot of houses that were selling for around $1 million 5 years ago are really not that big either. They may look big from the outside, or they are in the Estates section, but get inside and it's like the space disappeared. Buyers have wised up to that too.

I also think that when people sell, they want to sell quickly....if you've got someone who has been in their house in GC over 10 years, they probably are still going to make money even if the price has dropped from what it was a year ago or 3 years ago. So they aren't going to let it sit and sit.

Our former neighbors just sold their house for $100K less than we did - totally comparable to our old house and with a nicer yard. But they've been in that house almost 20 years - they aren't losing money on the deal by any stretch.
Couldn't agree more. I'm from Garden City and I second that there are many people here that do not keep up with their homes (e.g. kitchen that hasn't been renovated in more than 20-30 years). It's also true that several years ago many houses in Garden City were selling for $1 million and were not even that big.

I think another reason why Garden City was overpriced because of its location and amenities. Unlike Manhasset and Port Washington, Garden City is centrally located. You can easily access the North and South Shore from Garden City, it is close to both Jericho and Hempstead Turnpike, and is right next to Roosevelt Field Mall and all the shopping on Old Country Road. Garden City also has 5 LIRR stations that are walkable. Compared to its neighboring towns, Garden City is slightly more spacious and has wider roads as well. Garden City also has huge village pool with two water slides, an adult and kitty pool, food court, and mini golf.

Nevertheless, Garden City was still overpriced and I agree that too buyers have wised up to that in recent years.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times
GC has never cost more than Manhassett.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
GC has never cost more than Manhassett.
That's true....when we sold last year we had quite a few potential buyers who were from Manhasset. I was curious about this and looked for comparable homes to mine on MLSLI.com and they were priced a good $100-200K above mine and many needed work.

GC is more convenient but Manhasset is the north shore.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:35 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
How would a buyer in GC know if the price offered is too high? What would be the basis of comparison?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 AM

That's a tough question to answer...I lived there 13 years and really paid attention to home prices. It would be easy for me to say when seeing a house whether I think it's overpriced or not, just from knowing the village so well. I would take into consideration how many BRs the house has, the current taxes, and the condition of the home.

I looked on MLSLI.com before and I'm surprised how many houses there are under $600K. Some of them are in good locations, etc....it looks like there has really been a big drop the last 6 months.

I think buyers are looking at what people paid. If someone paid $1 mil for a 3 BR house in 2006, I think buyers are thinking that's going to be a tough negotiation now. That house just isn't worth that much (probably never was).

Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How would a buyer in GC know if the price offered is too high? What would be the basis of comparison?
That's Real Estate 101 -- and applies to a buyer anywhere

Comps -- as in comparing the price to recently sold similiar homes in the same area.

This is a good book to read before you purchase your first home:

Amazon.com: Home Buying For Dummies, 4th Edition (9780470453650): Eric Tyson, Ray Brown: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island