Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,086,262 times

Advertisements

I agree with the above. The OP could of easily saved half.

Also with EZpass, if you have 3 or more you can carpool the Port Auth tunnels/bridges for $3.50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Verrazano on way to LI and GW on way out is a big saver... you just end up paying the "secondary" tolls onto Staten Island or into the Bronx.
you also pay more on the turnpike and there's the extra money you're spending on gas. How much are you really saving?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

Also with EZpass, if you have 3 or more you can carpool the Port Auth tunnels/bridges for $3.50.
WOW, I guess that would go up too huh? It was $2.00 last year.
Should note that you have to use an attended lane and tell the attendant thats it's EZPass carpool.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,086,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
WOW, I guess that would go up too huh? It was $2.00 last year.
Should note that you have to use an attended lane and tell the attendant thats it's EZPass carpool.
yeah, I remember when its was $1. then again I remembers tunnels being in the $3-4 range not long ago either.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,085 times
Based on discussion here, I like that people are actually avoiding the toll roads now to save money. Hopefully this will become the general thought of the money concious people.
So when I'm in a hurry I can opt to take the toll road to save time.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
you also pay more on the turnpike and there's the extra money you're spending on gas. How much are you really saving?
If we're talking central LI, the gas consumption of entering from the South (Staten Island) and leaving from the North (Bronx) is a non issue... especially if you're filling up in Jersey compared to LI. The time you spend on the turnpike really depends where you're going and is not necessarily going to be a lot of money. For me, it's like 2 bucks to get from GW to 78W where I go across PA and down through VA avoiding 95 completely (which is highway robbery toll wise to just sit in insane traffic and end up down in the same vicinity).

Keep in mind we're talking a free Verrazano and a free GW doing this... It essentially leaves you paying for an Outer Bridge or a Goethals toll (Goethals will be more because of the additional turnpike cost, but is faster being more direct) on the way in and a Throgs, Whitestone, or Triborough on the way out. I also factor in the fact that I'm not being stopped at an additional toll booth which besides the cost is a factor for a non EZPass ex-pat. If you have an EZpass, I understand that this almost a non-issue.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
I never knew this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

Old 01-13-2012, 12:02 PM

74 posts, read 107,520 times
Default Then do as in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC51 View Post
Well, unfortunately you spent $12 more than you needed to on the trip up. If you took the more sensible and direct route through Staten Island, you'd have paid for one bridge from NJ to SI and then gotten a freebie (no toll eastbound) over the Verrazano.
The second part of this is that you then go home through Manhattan because there is no toll on the westbound side.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,953,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Mass transit? These people were from Texas. Not a chance.
DO NOT CARE where your from the drive here is STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 AM

956 posts, read 1,208,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Amazing, especially when you can cross the Hudson thirty five miles up the river at Bear Mtn for a dollar round trip. I think the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge (I-84) further up is still a dollar round trip also (it was a few months ago).
I was behind a large tractor trailer on the Throgs Neck recently, saw the toll amount flash for the truck (cash lane) , it was $66. Many food delivery trucks come to the island from NJ, guess who is absorbing the cost of all those tolls ?
Newburgh-Beacon Bridge is still $1 RT since 2000! Next month it's going up though ; $1.25 Ezpass and $1.50 RT. Still one huge bargain and hey this is the first hike in over a decade! I would like the PA and MTA to keep the prices steady for that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island