Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 PM

30 posts, read 66,373 times

Advertisements

I have been eyeing up these towns for the last 4months with the possible intent on buying next spring, they all look so charming and I am aware of the excellent schools and the boundaries of which the better schools fall on.
how is the village at night, are the bars rowdy? What is the criteria and cost of joining the northport yacht club or the center port yacht club, both seem nice from the outside, are they exclusive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrocky View Post
I have been eyeing up these towns for the last 4months with the possible intent on buying next spring, they all look so charming and I am aware of the excellent schools and the boundaries of which the better schools fall on.
how is the village at night, are the bars rowdy? What is the criteria and cost of joining the northport yacht club or the center port yacht club, both seem nice from the outside, are they exclusive?
During August, Northport Village has events on Tuesday and Thursday nights (free), why not check that out?

As far as criteria for membership and cost, I'd like to suggest that the most accurate information would come from the Yacht Clubs themselves... JMHO

Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 AM

341 posts, read 1,536,107 times
all great town. I think Centerport is super... Huntington was closer to the trains and the schools weren't as big an issue to me as waterview, so the house I chose was in Huntington for commute/cost.

On the Yacht club issue - can't speak to those specifically, but generally you'll need a member to 'sponsor" you and then they'll be happy to take your money to "join." That said, joining and "getting a slip" are two very different things. How big is your boat?

In general, most yacht clubs and country clubs are hurting for members.

Some of the private marinas in Huntington are hurting a bit - I hear West Shore is at 75 percent capacity, so you could slip there but it's expensive. If you like a yacht club for the social aspect, that's different.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacrocky View Post
how is the village at night, are the bars rowdy? ?
In Northport? No.

Now, the Sweet Shoppe....well, that's another story.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:27 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,762,800 times
I'm not sure about the Centerport Yachtclub, but I do have friends who belong to the Northport Yacht Club and have been there many times. Yes, it is rather exclusive. You need to be recommended by a member and voted upon. The waiting list is many years long. Very high inititation and annual fees.

That being said, it is a lovely facility. I've been there for everything from casual drinks to weddings and it has always been very nice.

Personally, I would rather have a friend who belongs then belong myself. They are required to put a certain amount on their chit every year, so they'll usually pay when they invite you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: