Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:50 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,155,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I will say this much, from Grand Central Station to Baldwin via LIRR was literally a 1 hr 15 minute commute. Left work at 5:30, run to Grand Central's 7 train to get to Hunters Point Ave LIRR station for the 5:47 train, and then transfer at Jamaica at 6:33 pm to the Babylon train.

Arrival time at Baldwin LIRR was 6:55 pm. (according to LIRR's schedule, in many instances, it was really 7 pm on the dot).

Then walk to my car and drive home - arrival time at home 7 - 7:15 pm depending on local traffic.

Total commuting time: 5:30 pm - 7:15 pm (1 hr 15 minutes). I was NEVER home before 7 pm, unless I managed to get out of work at 5 pm on the dot, or hustled to Penn Station via the Shuttle from Grand Central to make a 5:35 Express Babylon train that arrived in Baldwin by 6:10 pm .

In the afternoon, it was about the same (to arrive at my DESK by 9:20 am, I had to leave my house at 7:20 am be at the LIRR station by 7:45 am to find a parking spot and run to the platform for the 7:54 train). Either way you slice it, I was hustling in the AM/PM from LIRR to subway, etc. No chance to sit longer than 25 min to read a book or sleep!!!

I know Lindenhurst would be longer, and I am talking about DOOR to DOOR, not the BS schedule put out by LIRR that promises 46 minute rides from Babylon to Penn.

My commute NOW - I leave my house at 8:35 am, and am answering emails at my work desk by 9:15 am. I love working in Long Island, I cant fathom dealing with the LIRR or a congested LIE/SSP any more...
But isn't that 1 hour and 45 minutes? (5:30-6:30 = 1 hour + 6:30-7:15 = 45 minutes)

In any case, good for you that you've been able to save an hour of commuting time each day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,532,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I will say this much, from Grand Central Station to Baldwin via LIRR was literally a 1 hr 15 minute commute. Left work at 5:30, run to Grand Central's 7 train to get to Hunters Point Ave LIRR station for the 5:47 train, and then transfer at Jamaica at 6:33 pm to the Babylon train.

Arrival time at Baldwin LIRR was 6:55 pm. (according to LIRR's schedule, in many instances, it was really 7 pm on the dot).

Then walk to my car and drive home - arrival time at home 7 - 7:15 pm depending on local traffic.

Total commuting time: 5:30 pm - 7:15 pm (1 hr 15 minutes). I was NEVER home before 7 pm, unless I managed to get out of work at 5 pm on the dot, or hustled to Penn Station via the Shuttle from Grand Central to make a 5:35 Express Babylon train that arrived in Baldwin by 6:10 pm .

In the afternoon, it was about the same (to arrive at my DESK by 9:20 am, I had to leave my house at 7:20 am be at the LIRR station by 7:45 am to find a parking spot and run to the platform for the 7:54 train). Either way you slice it, I was hustling in the AM/PM from LIRR to subway, etc. No chance to sit longer than 25 min to read a book or sleep!!!

I know Lindenhurst would be longer, and I am talking about DOOR to DOOR, not the BS schedule put out by LIRR that promises 46 minute rides from Babylon to Penn.

My commute NOW - I leave my house at 8:35 am, and am answering emails at my work desk by 9:15 am. I love working in Long Island, I cant fathom dealing with the LIRR or a congested LIE/SSP any more...
5:30-7:15 is an hour and 45 minutes...

...and how did it possibly take you 25 minutes to drive to the Baldwin LIRR station from anywhere in Baldwin?

The return commute in the evening is always slower unless you're one of those lucky people who get out of work and to the station at the exact time an express train leaves. I think it's kinda odd that they run almost nothing except express service in the morning, and almost nothing but locals on the way home... how does that make any sense? Isn't it the same people going both ways? Whatever, though... I don't mind the trip home being a little longer since I sleep through most of it anyway.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:20 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,695,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Nope...hour and a half. I catch the express at 530...it gets into penn at 638. Im not saying it sucks...it does, but i deal with it.
So what. The 530 express is only a 7 minute differential to the 704. You are still loking at 1:50 average.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 PM

21,000 posts, read 28,576,880 times
A stay at home dad? Not what I am used to but good luck finding an affordable home

Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,423,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
So what. The 530 express is only a 7 minute differential to the 704. You are still loking at 1:50 average.
No....an hour and a half! Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-01-2011 at 06:34 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 07:31 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,695,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
No....an hour and a half! Wtf???
No. The 5:30 gets in at 6:38, the 7:04 gets in at 8:19. I am pretty sure that calculates to a 7 minute difference.

Before you use Moderator cut: that language was deleted make sure you understand what you are objecting to.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-01-2011 at 06:35 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,793,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
5:30-7:15 is an hour and 45 minutes...

...and how did it possibly take you 25 minutes to drive to the Baldwin LIRR station from anywhere in Baldwin?

The return commute in the evening is always slower unless you're one of those lucky people who get out of work and to the station at the exact time an express train leaves. I think it's kinda odd that they run almost nothing except express service in the morning, and almost nothing but locals on the way home... how does that make any sense? Isn't it the same people going both ways? Whatever, though... I don't mind the trip home being a little longer since I sleep through most of it anyway.
(1) I agree its retarded, but I think the LIRR looks at it this way - most people who go into the City are taking the trains at the same time (6 am -8:45 am) so they get everyone onto the trains faster by running express trains. But on the way home, they figure some people dont leave work until 7, 8 or 9 pm - so the local service works because people aren't in a rush to get home as much as they are to get into work.

Who knows??!

(2) As to the driving distance from Baldwin to LIRR, I always had to leave at 7:30 to make the 7:54 train because I am located south of Atlantic Avenue and local traffic is just RETARDED in some intersections (Merrick Rd & Grand Ave, Sunrise Hwy & Grand Ave), plus finding a parking spot is a CHALLENGE if I am not there by 7:45-7:50. I usually had to park all the way by Freeport HS/that side lot undeneath the LIRR overpass because the parking lots would already be filled. Then walk/run to makethe 7:54.

Hence why it sucked.

PS Yes its 1 hr 45 minutes, for some reason my brain was thinking 1 hr 15 minutes because thats the average time it took me to get into work in the mornings when I drove on days that had light traffic (I would cut through the Conduit --> Cross Bay Blvd to LIE at Queens Center Mall) ...As noted above, going home ALWAYS took longer than going to work.
After a while I gave up on the LIRR and started driving into work because I couldn't deal with the idiots I was sitting next to on the LIRR. Left the house at 8 am, and would be parking at the garage off 2nd Avenue in midtown by 9:15 am.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM

765 posts, read 1,557,588 times
If your willing to do a LOT of work you can find something maybe for $225k or under BUt you will have a ton of work to do.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 AM

11 posts, read 31,618 times
I live in Valley Stream and I highly doubt you'll find any decent house for under 300k. My family is moving and our barely medium sized house with tiny kitchen and little closet space is going for 400k. If your husband were to start bringing money to the table you could live there, and many other places, comfortably but for under 225k you're not going to find anything.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM

581 posts, read 1,246,404 times
yep, very hard finding something under 225k. And as soon as something comes on the market, it is gone in 60 seconds.

My frustration is that there are sooooooooo many short sales. Many of the properties around that price, and many even up to 250 are short sales..and we all know how short sales have a lengthy process.

I live in Nassau and woulda rather stay here. I have been out in suffolk, mainly deer park, babylon, lindenhurst area and i dont like it there, so i scratched suffolk off my house hunting list....for now anyway.

I work in queens, close to belmont race track and i find driving 35-40 minutes a chore. not only that, the chance of running into traffic is too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island