Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM

3 posts, read 267,683 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a new member. I was always curious as to what separates the wealthy neighborhoods of Long Island from each other? Specifically, what is the difference between places like East Hampton, West Hampton, South Hampton, Montauk, Amagansett, Water Mill, Bridgehampton, Sagaponack, and Sag Harbor? Is one region more "hip" with more young people? Which place has a better nightlife? Which place has more museums. Which is the richest and most desired place to live?? Which place has the better village? Which place has better restaurants and shopping? Is one place mostly large estates and farmland? What is the culture, characteristics, and demographics of these towns?

For instance, I always had the stereotype that Montauk was for upper-middle-class old people. West Hampton and South Hampton were for Yuppies and people with new money from the New York City area. East Hampton was for international old wealth and celebrities. So, I assumed East Hampton was the richest and most exclusive of the Hamptons. Is this true? Sag Harbor was for more upper-middle-class young people. The other towns I mentioned I figure are more suburban areas with large estates. How accurate is this description?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd View Post
Hi, I am a new member. I was always curious as to what separates the wealthy neighborhoods of Long Island from each other? Specifically, what is the difference between places like East Hampton, West Hampton, South Hampton, Montauk, Amagansett, Water Mill, Bridgehampton, Sagaponack, and Sag Harbor? Is one region more "hip" with more young people? Which place has a better nightlife? Which place has more museums. Which is the richest and most desired place to live?? Which place has the better village? Which place has better restaurants and shopping? Is one place mostly large estates and farmland? What is the culture, characteristics, and demographics of these towns?

For instance, I always had the stereotype that Montauk was for upper-middle-class old people. West Hampton and South Hampton were for Yuppies and people with new money from the New York City area. East Hampton was for international old wealth and celebrities. So, I assumed East Hampton was the richest and most exclusive of the Hamptons. Is this true? Sag Harbor was for more upper-middle-class young people. The other towns I mentioned I figure are more suburban areas with large estates. How accurate is this description?
West Hampton = yuppies and new money. Rich kids who want to hang out at the beach. A lot of summer homes with 20 people co-renting.

Southampton = people with money who want to be seen. A lot more old money then you would think and a lot of Manhattan families who have had family homes in Southampton for generations.

East Hampton = Old money and ultra rich. Especially the Further Lane area. These people usually don't want the hustle and bustle that comes with the public beaches in Southampton/West Hampton.

Sag Harbor = for the crowd that has little interest in beach going. A lot sailors, boaters, and people who want a small town New England feel.

Montauk = place for middle class LIers to go to feel vacationy and for the wealthy who don't want to be bothered.

Small towns like Amagansett and Watermill are where you find people who have the money to not need a hampton address. Usually down to earth people who have great taste and don't care what other people think. Don't take this for a lack of wealth, that would be a mistake.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:41 PM

401 posts, read 944,529 times
Don't forget Wainscott. They all bleed together to me

Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 267,683 times
Thanks for the info NYEconomist. Much appreciated.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,932,540 times
My husband's office is on main street in Bridgehampton, he's a luxury home builder so I can tell you who buys 8 million dollar plus summer homes and in what areas these days.
I agree with almost everything NYeconomist said.
sagaponack usually comes up highest on the "wealthiest zip code" list.
Water Mill and Bridgehampton have a mix of old and new money and recently have become more culturally diverse. Years ago there were very few Jewish people east of the canal, not the case anymore.
Bridgehampton and Water Mill are known for amazing farms and the equestrian lifestyle. Very popular for NYC families.
East Hampton has a lot of celebrities and very old money estates, a great village and a fairly high number of year round residents.
Sag harbor and Amagansset are very artsy, homes are generally much smaller.
Southampton has the village estate area that is primarily really old money, the rest is a mix of summer share houses, young new money and year round lower income people. Southampton is the most affordable area south of the highway.
As far as clubs or nightlife, east of the canal the best nightlife is by invitation only-charity events and private parties held at someone's home or estate. The real Hamptons society lifestyle is still "who you know".
The Hamptons club scene that upislanders speak of is not where you will find the uberwealthy or the celebrities, unless they are getting paid to appear. Generally people on LI go to clubs in Hampton bays or westHampton, not at all a reflection of the true Hamptons lifestyle.
Westhampton and Hampton bays, quogue, remsenberg are all the poor people's Hamptons LOL. There are some big money waterfront homes and a few estate areas but it pales in comparison to the areas east of the canal. it sure is a lot easier to get there though.
there are many towns north of the highway-east of the canal like North Sea, noyac that are year round, low key vibe, very wooded and private but still pockets of giant homes mixed in.
My husband doesn't work in montauk, it's a totally different vibe out there.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
West Hampton = yuppies and new money. Rich kids who want to hang out at the beach. A lot of summer homes with 20 people co-renting.

Southampton = people with money who want to be seen. A lot more old money then you would think and a lot of Manhattan families who have had family homes in Southampton for generations.

East Hampton = Old money and ultra rich. Especially the Further Lane area. These people usually don't want the hustle and bustle that comes with the public beaches in Southampton/West Hampton.

Sag Harbor = for the crowd that has little interest in beach going. A lot sailors, boaters, and people who want a small town New England feel.

Montauk = place for middle class LIers to go to feel vacationy and for the wealthy who don't want to be bothered.

Small towns like Amagansett and Watermill are where you find people who have the money to not need a hampton address. Usually down to earth people who have great taste and don't care what other people think. Don't take this for a lack of wealth, that would be a mistake.
Sag Harbor also seems to have a very high gay population for some reason. Also artistic people. I also noticed over the years that Sagaponack drew alot of off the wall celebrities, writers or people that don't want to be spotted like Kurt Vonnegut. If you're looking to stay away from kids throwing parties or on dune road, just go east of the westhampton/and wh beach areas.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 PM

208 posts, read 492,115 times
Just a Snobish Area all Around

Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
Just a Snobish Area all Around
There are definitely parts but that is a bad generalization.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:22 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Beginning on the west at the Town of Brookhaven/Town of Southampton border and, generally, moving eastward, the "Hamptons area" includes:

The Hamlet of Eastport

The Hamlet of Northampton

The Hamlet of Riverside

The Hamlet of Remsenburg-Speonk

The Hamlet of Westhampton

The Village of Westhampton Beach

The Village of Westhampton Dunes

The Hamlet of Quiogue

The Village of Quogue

The Hamlet of East Quogue

The Hamlet of Flanders

The Hamlet of Hampton Bays

The Hamlet of Shinnecock Hills

The Hamlet of Tuckahoe

The Village of Southampton

The Hamlet of North Sea

The Hamlet of Water Mill

The Hamlet of Noyack

The Village of North Haven

The Village of Sag Harbor

The Hamlet of Bridgehampton

The Village of Sagaponack

Crossing into the Town of East Hampton, and continuing in an easterly direction:

The Village of Sag Harbor

The Hamlet of Wainscott

The Village of East Hampton

The Hamlet of East Hampton North

The Hamlet of Northwest Harbor

The Hamlet of Springs

The Hamlet of Amagansett

The Hamlet of Napeague

The Hamlet of Montauk

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 05-12-2011 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: North Haven is a village, not a hamlet as originally typed.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 AM

815 posts, read 2,051,880 times
North Haven is a Village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island