Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,189,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Are Asians bad to have as neighbors? The Chinese family behind me, despite language barriers, have been polite and responsive neighbors. The white family to the rear on the other side crawled out from under a rock and hopefully will move elsewhere soon.

We have friends who actually live in the M, H & S sections who would beg to differ with the bank officer with regard to crime in the area. Do you know whether the bank officer lives there, or was s/he parroting what they heard from someone else, who heard it from someone else, etc.?

There are foreclosures according to Realtytrac.com which lists 39 preforeclosures and bank owned in Stony Brook, 11790. Of those, there are about 75% south of 25A not solely in Strathmore.

Setauket, 11733, shows 45 preforeclosure and 4 bank owned which represent a mix of the area from the critter houses, to Arrowhead up to Flax Ponf, Old Field, Poquott and Strongs Neck.

That brings the 3Vs to 88 preforeclosure and bank owned for a very large area.

In contrast, Rocky Point, the more affordable, lower priced area has 102 preforeclosures and bank owned (11788) which seems staggeringly large for much smaller area.

Larger areas, such as 11743, are shown to have as many as 173 preforeclosures and bank owned, but then, there is a rather depressed area in that zip code which isn't indicative of the entire area. Nonetheless, there are those who bought more than they can afford in the much nicer areas of 11743 and who are barely hanging on to their homes. Homes N25A on Eleanor, Beardsley, West Neck, Recreation Lane, Bay, Harbor Hill, Crane, Kane, Banbury are some of the preforclosures as are homes up on the neck Like 2 on Fiddlers Green, another on Oakwood Dr west and 2 on Target Rock.

No matter where one turns on LI there will be foreclosures. Some people are losing their homes due to job lose, others because they allowed themselves to believe they could afford more house than their wallet allowed and yet others who out of sheer hubris bought what they knew they couldn't afford, but had to put on a show.
I suppose OBH

Setauket-E Set 15k pop/45 Pre Foreclosure
RP 15k pop/102 Pre Foreclosure.

Staggering? Maybe? Depending on what part of the town ...different economics etc.

Whats shocking is that years ago you just would never see a boarded up home in the 3Vs unless there was a fire. Folks arent used to seeing that sort of thing there and it does make for some challenges in regards to student housing abuses.RP has cleaned up a bit and still has some work ahaed of it in the Downtown/North Shore Beach area but both areas are still a nice place to live.

FWIW I dont get the Asian swipe either, I actually envy the cultural and intellectual diversity of the 3v area but its starting to happen here too...thankfully.
Rocky Point Scientist Honored by Brookhaven Town - Miller Place-Rocky Point, NY Patch

BTW is Mills considered High Hill?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats fair,like StonyBrook (where my family is from), It really depends on where you are in RP. Some parts of RP have room for improvement(King Bway) some are absolutely stunning (Oak Hills).As for Mexicans I have not seen what you are describing...the area is still painfully Italian, white and catholic.Its actually held up surprisingly well considering the recent downturn.

SWR is really up in the air right now schools wise. Two SWR board members call for administrative cuts | North Shore Sun

I like Port Jeff Schools but not the immediately surrounding area and its unclear whats happening with the Power Plant( tax and health wise).
Port Jeff mayor: LIPA, its taxes needed

When did you leave?
Why?

Crooks

PS I think you got your Stathmores mixed up S-Section is still nice but the funny thing is that most of the folks in RP that moved from 3V came from those areas.
I am trying to recall where I read (recently) about the power plant gertting upgraded and increasing it's foot print on the property. It was written by someone living in Poquott who receives the pollution but none of the tax benefits of being adjacent to it. You are right to raise the question regarding the plant from both tax and health perspectives. Also, Lawrence Aviation in Port Jeff created a mess, too, the plume of which traveled northward toward Vandermuelen. (Sp?)

With regard to people from South of the Border -- I've noticed an increase in the Latino presence on the Brookhaven channel during apartment hearings and such. Often times they are from areas like Rocky Point, Sound Beach, Shirley and such.

There has always been a mix in socioeconomics in Rocky Point, however back when I rented there, it was, as you wrote, painfully white. Things do change over the course of 15 years, though.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I suppose OBH

Setauket-E Set 15k pop/45 Pre Foreclosure
RP 15k pop/102 Pre Foreclosure.

Staggering? Maybe? Depending on what part of the town ...different economics etc.

Whats shocking is that years ago you just would never see a boarded up home in the 3Vs unless there was a fire. Folks arent used to seeing that sort of thing there and it does make for some challenges in regards to student housing abuses.RP has cleaned up a bit and still has some work ahaed of it in the Downtown/North Shore Beach area but both areas are still a nice place to live.

FWIW I dont get the Asian swipe either, I actually envy the cultural and intellectual diversity of the 3v area but its starting to happen here too...thankfully.
Rocky Point Scientist Honored by Brookhaven Town - Miller Place-Rocky Point, NY Patch

BTW is Mills considered High Hill?

Crooks
In my travels through 3V I can count on one hand the board ups. It is odd, but the economy has been rough all over.

Mills is Long Hill. That's a good little pocket with a few student apartments in the houses, but a solid neighborhood. My concern in that neighborhood is the university has now surrounded over 80% of it. SUNY pulled Eminent Domain on Gyrodyne across the street -- KWIM?

Old 03-28-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
In my travels through 3V I can count on one hand the board ups. It is odd, but the economy has been rough all over.

Mills is Long Hill. That's a good little pocket with a few student apartments in the houses, but a solid neighborhood. My concern in that neighborhood is the university has now surrounded over 80% of it. SUNY pulled Eminent Domain on Gyrodyne across the street -- KWIM?
Truth be told its about the same out here.Ive seen maybe 10 in RP/MP/SB. Usually on busy roads or near powerlines etc generally the tough to sell stuff. Not saying there aint more, but apparently its pretty well hidden in NE Brookhaven.

Long Hill is awesome (thank you OBH).I love that area.That was the spot that came to mind when folks were denouncing so of 25a.

I agree most of the Strathmores look good by USB. S Setauket Park held up ok too. Just that pocket of M and University Heights seemed to take a little hit.Like I said its out of character with the area since those neighborhoods were a Half Mil not long ago. The area that took the hardest hit for 3V not surprisingly was E Setauket by the Critter/Mushrooms. That would be a little like our King/Bway not truly bad ...just a bit overrented, unloved.

Crooks

Old 03-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I am trying to recall where I read (recently) about the power plant gertting upgraded and increasing it's foot print on the property. It was written by someone living in Poquott who receives the pollution but none of the tax benefits of being adjacent to it. You are right to raise the question regarding the plant from both tax and health perspectives. Also, Lawrence Aviation in Port Jeff created a mess, too, the plume of which traveled northward toward Vandermuelen. (Sp?)

With regard to people from South of the Border -- I've noticed an increase in the Latino presence on the Brookhaven channel during apartment hearings and such. Often times they are from areas like Rocky Point, Sound Beach, Shirley and such.

There has always been a mix in socioeconomics in Rocky Point, however back when I rented there, it was, as you wrote, painfully white. Things do change over the course of 15 years, though.
I dont think Rocky Point and Sound Beach have much in common with Shirley but if youre seeing something Im not Ill take your word for it. I will say that the amount a rental stock has decreased since the 90s with more and more folks coming to buy and live year round and expanding their smaller beach homes by the water in North Shore and Sound Beach.I do know that theres definitely a rise in Latinos across all of Brookhaven and the USA so if RP went from 95% white to 90% white it really wouldn't startle or surprise me.

This Island is white and uptight anyway.Youre lucky to have some diversity in 3V.

As for the Lawrence avaiation Superfund OMG that filth has been running down the creek to Rocketship park for years I wont let my kid play there anymore.

Crooks

Old 03-28-2011, 03:43 PM

Here is some data regarding races in 3V (broken down by Setauket and Stony Brook) as well as Rocky Point, Sound Beach & Miller Place

RP, Sound Beach & Miller Place:
2010 Census: Rocky Point, Miller Place See Sharp Population Rises, Sound Beach Declines - Miller Place-Rocky Point, NY Patch

Stony Brook & Setauket:
Census: Asian Population Jumps in Stony Brook, Declines in Setauket - Three Village, NY Patch

AndreaII's Bank Officer connection is correct in stating that the Asian population is increasing, however we must bear in mind for census purposes anyone who was living at a location was counted. As many of us are aware, SUNY students rent houses near the University and school was in session during the census period. These students are leave in late May/early June and new students rent the next school year. This revolving door means the house could have Asian students one year, white students another, a rainbow of kids yet another. In short, the transient student population is enough to effect the small (but growing) Asian demographic. This does not mean students are solely responsible for the increase, but that they can skew it.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I dont think Rocky Point and Sound Beach have much in common with Shirley but if youre seeing something Im not Ill take your word for it. I will say that the amount a rental stock has decreased since the 90s with more and more folks coming to buy and live year round and expanding their smaller beach homes by the water in North Shore and Sound Beach.I do know that theres definitely a rise in Latinos across all of Brookhaven and the USA so if RP went from 95% white to 90% white it really wouldn't startle or surprise me.

This Island is white and uptight anyway.Youre lucky to have some diversity in 3V.

As for the Lawrence avaiation Superfund OMG that filth has been running down the creek to Rocketship park for years I wont let my kid play there anymore.

Crooks
I should have been more clear re: RP, SB, Shirley. The common factor was the housing stock -- more houses, closer together, fixer uppers, some higher end. These areas would attract more homebuyers looking for affordable homes, a deal, or a place which would support an income apartment more easily. (Think of the homes on the flower streets between Broadway and Prince, for example.)

Interestingly enough, with the population increase in Rocky Point between 2000 and 2010, RP went from 92% white to 94% white, despite the AA population rising from 60 to 207, the Asian population rising from 117 to 222 and the Hispanic population rising from 511 to 978.

Despite the increases in minority populations in Stony Brook, we're still hovering at the 88% white mark. Looks like I can put off Mandarin lessons for another few years.

LA & Rocketship Park...very sad. As a parent I wouldn't want my children on the playing fields at the HS, either.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I should have been more clear re: RP, SB, Shirley. The common factor was the housing stock -- more houses, closer together, fixer uppers, some higher end. These areas would attract more homebuyers looking for affordable homes, a deal, or a place which would support an income apartment more easily. (Think of the homes on the flower streets between Broadway and Prince, for example.)

Interestingly enough, with the population increase in Rocky Point between 2000 and 2010, RP went from 92% white to 94% white, despite the AA population rising from 60 to 207, the Asian population rising from 117 to 222 and the Hispanic population rising from 511 to 978.

Despite the increases in minority populations in Stony Brook, we're still hovering at the 88% white mark. Looks like I can put off Mandarin lessons for another few years.

LA & Rocketship Park...very sad. As a parent I wouldn't want my children on the playing fields at the HS, either.
LOL you might want to brush up on that Spanish too since you went from 500 to 800 or something goofy like that.
Lets take the White purity test shall we? Really who cares.Hows the QOL, the Schools etc. We both lived in both areas.
Id say its pretty darn good in both.

Still not sure I agree on the Tri Hams.
IMO Shirley is to Sound Beach as Centereach is to Stony Brook

Wee houses, handymen, rental apartments eee gads sounds like Critterville with basements.

Crooks

PS
Stop poaching our Asians.

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-28-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
LOL you might want to brush up on that Spanish too since you went from 500 to 800 lol.

Wee houses, handymen ....sounds like Critterville with basements.

Crooks

PS
Stop poaching our Asians.

Critterville, 11733 or Broadway/Prince, 11778 *sigh* if we could only launch them elsewhere.

Sound Beach, Rocky Point and Shirley all started as summer communities and the smaller properties, eastern locations, affordable housing created the mix we see today. Stony Brook was a pre-Revolutionary settlement; Centereach...What can I say about Center Rico? That it's founding shares more in common with Levittown? Much different set of roots. South Stony Brook shares more with Centereach and Levittown (the development aspect) than Stony Brook Village.

Funny part of this is -- a number of us "Hispanics" just started marking ourselves down as such. Me hablo Espanol, no hablo Mandarin!

OBH

P.S. They're our Asians.... Neener neener neener! If you want to attract more you're going to have to open an Asian market, too! LOL

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 03-28-2011 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: Dang it clicked send too soon.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Critterville, 11733 or Broadway/Prince, 11778 *sigh* if we could only launch them elsewhere.

Funny part of this is -- a number of us "Hispanics" just started marking ourselves down as such. Me hablo Espanol, no hablo Mandarin!

OBH

P.S. They're our Asians.... Neener neener neener! If you want to attract more you're going to have to open an Asian market, too! LOL
Too Funny....next stop Flushing East.

Like I said neither of those areas are awful...just overrented and unloved.

I actually thought we had more of an increase in AAs and Indian buying in which is cool too.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island