Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 04:08 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times

Advertisements

What happened to the Handlebar Restaurant in Mount Sinai? I remember seeing it on that reality show with Chef Ramsay? I passed by it and it's closed. I guess the Chef gave the owner bad advice or he didn't follow up on it. There were a few Long Island restaurants (Westhampton, Babylon, Islip, Bellmore) featured on that show. How did they fare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 05:13 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
What happened to the Handlebar Restaurant in Mount Sinai? I remember seeing it on that reality show with Chef Ramsay? I passed by it and it's closed. I guess the Chef gave the owner bad advice or he didn't follow up on it. There were a few Long Island restaurants (Westhampton, Babylon, Islip, Bellmore) featured on that show. How did they fare?
The show is Kitchen Nightmares. The issue is that you can give all the good advice that you want, but in a down economy, no one can guarantee that the people will show up. That's why early bird specials and buy one get one coupons are KING nowadays.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 PM

383 posts, read 664,546 times
They just showed a follow up on Kitchen Nightmares where Gorden ramsley goes back and at that time it will still open. Guess he did the show awhile ago

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The show is Kitchen Nightmares. The issue is that you can give all the good advice that you want, but in a down economy, no one can guarantee that the people will show up. That's why early bird specials and buy one get one coupons are KING nowadays.
Funny you say that...just the other day I heard my wife tell her friend..."if it's not on restaurant.com we don't go!!!". And the sad part is I realized she is right!

Old 06-27-2010, 07:07 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Funny you say that...just the other day I heard my wife tell her friend..."if it's not on restaurant.com we don't go!!!". And the sad part is I realized she is right!
I knew the place over the years and worked with the female chef years prior to her working there. I never judge by restaurant.com because alot of great places aren't on there. Handlebar was like Tara's Bar in port jeff. People went there for a burger and a beer, not for a great meal. I would much rather go to any of the Lombardi's (port jeff, holbrook, or even middle island).Middle island Lombard's is on restaurant.com for $10 you can get $25 certificate and if you use the promotion code SUMMER you can get it for $2 each right now.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 21,337 times
It probably failed because the owner is truely a weak man. He was really acting like a pansey when confronted with the problems, and he seemed like kind of a dick when something needed to be done to change things. Melissa probably should not have been a "head chef". The reason she wasnt talking was that she didnt know what she was doing. She should have had someone telling her what to do, and she gladly would have done it. ANd the owner looked bad on that show. He probably closed the restaurent so that he would no longer be associated with the behavior he exibited.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:22 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,559 times
You know - it's funny you bump this 2+ year old thread because I was just laying awake just last night wondering what ever happened to that local/yocal irrelevant hole-in-the-wall.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
And I thought I was the only one.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 PM

71 posts, read 190,307 times
It's no longer Handlebar, that closed a long time ago. It became some sort of arcade for a short while, and now I think it's another bar and grill all over again.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM

414 posts, read 808,394 times
Handlebar was a dump. It is called Benchwarmers now, and is far better than anything that was there before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island