Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 16,862 times

Advertisements

I bought from Bob's about 3yrs ago, the delivery was expensive & had to wait over a month. I bought a livingroom set, couch & loveseat, a 5' tv stand, a coffee table & 2 end tables, a kitchen table & 6 chairs, a queen size bedroom set, footboard, headboard, night stand, bureau, dresser & mirror. One of the delivery persons had put stuff on his shoes to I am assuming waterproof them & left on my just bought berber wall to wall carpeting going upstairs on each step. This was reported to customer service but after I thought it was taken care of but once it gets humid the oil comes back to the surface. I started noticing approx 3" screws on my carpeting & finally figured out they were coming from the coffee table & end tables. I don't think they were screwed in enough. It is just me in the household so not a lot of use is given to this furniture. When summer hit the following year the drawer in one of the end tables got stuck (swelled) and I could not open the drawer. Had to have a friend take it apart as I had important papers in the drawer.

Now less than 3 years later I am replacing my livingroom set. I ordered a couch & loveseat on the 2nd or 3rd of Sept. & my friend was going to pick it up for me. The items were coming in on the 25th but they said I can not pick up until the 26th-. Well last week my friends truck died. I called Bobs & to make a long story short, they could not deliver until the 9th of October, like 3 weeks later. I told them to cancel the order. Approx 6 weeks to get a couch & chair. They say their delivery is reasonable & other stores are not but they werer going to get 99.99 to deliver to me but I had to wait until they were here getting god knows how much in delivery charges. Oh & the first time I called they told me they were going to call back & never did.

Anyways, 1 days later I went to a pretty local place, maybe 15-20 minutes away-Aumand in Walpole NH and went back again today to place my order...today is Sunday, it will be here on Saturday-delivery 25.00. They were having a sale & I even got more money taken off the sale price. The set cost slightly more but it is a better quality. The fabric is much nicer.

I do not think I will ever go back to Bob's after this experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Everything is made in China these days so you're not going to get the craftsmanship of yester-year.
Those days are long gone.
So true. You'll see the difference in the gauge of wood used, quality of fasteners and lack of rigidity in any piece that has a frame (like a couch).

Raymour & Flanagan are leaders in the Chinese stuff, I don't know but would imagine Bob's is too. Our last browse at R&F left me impressed with the prices... they were pretty high. I would guess they run lot's of sales

8-10 years ago, we bought some furniture from Ethan & Allen, and it was pretty expensive back then. The finishes and ability of the wood to hold up against the abuse of 3 children just wasn't there back then. I think it's probably very costly and slightly lower quality as well.

We've also bought some pieces from Pompansanoosic (pompy), beautiful hard woods, excellent finishes and yes very pricey. They've also started to reduce the gauge of wood in their furniture, but it's still pretty nice. Price is very, very high though, and we found their shipping was rough.

And at the high-end these days, Stickley. Beautiful Arts & Crafts style, sumptuous leathers, colorful fabrics and heavy oak. Big bucks these days. You can find this brand on LI at EJ Audi showrooms.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:52 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,074 times
My friend bought a dining room set from Bobs and within 2 months, the chairs broke and one side of the table became loose and the entire table sagged..she had to return it and Bobs said it wasn't their fault, that it was an assembly/installation problem and refuses to take it back..she had to threaten litigation and a nasty BBB letter to make them change their tune...
I don't think I would buy from Bobs, unless its a small furniture item that I won't mind replacing in 2 yrs or less. It's cheap for a reason.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
My dining room and living room sets are from Bob's and 7 years later they still look brand new. They get use daily. I also have 2 small children and a cat. We are very happy with our purchases from them. We just bought a sectional sofa this month so hopefully it holds up as well as the other pieces we bought from them.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whotoldyouthat View Post
I have read so many bad reviews that I am afraid to consider Bob's. Their sofa's are attractive and some are very comfortable but the reviews say that the sofa's won't hold up to everyday heavy use. Is there anyone out there who can tell me anything about the sofa's in terms of the seat cushions? Someone who has a sofa from Bob's and has used it more than a year and a half that can comment on the cushions and sagging? New stuff hasn't yet passed the test of time so I need to know what people think?
Bob's Furniture store has stuff that does last. My husband and I bought a new home about 10 yrs ago and our first furniture was from Bob's. We are still using some of it in the home now. The rest we gave to a niece who was just getting her own place and needed some stuff..we got new furniture and she took the "still in good shape" stuff from Bob's.

On the other hand...we did purchase some very expensive stuff from a privately owned, fancier furniture store about 6 yrs ago and it is practically in pieces now..about to can it and get some new stuff from BOB's!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 AM

114 posts, read 849,985 times
we have a Bob's reclining sofa. the sofa cushions aren't as plush as they once were (specifically the foot rest part), but it's still pretty comfy. the reclining mechanisms broke - they came to fix them, and it worked for another year, and broke again the same way. according to their policy, they do not fix the same thing more than once. but we figured a way to work them without the mechanism.

we've been looking to replace it for over a year, and have found some great options at Raymour & Macy's, but other priorities keep popping up, and we're still sitting on this Bob's couch for now. it's almost 6 years old.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
I purchased a Bob's bedroom set in MA for my vacation home in VT; we had to pick up because of the distance so no delivery issues. The set has held up fine, but doesn't get the use my everyday bedroom set does. No complaints, I would use it for a guest bedroom if it were in my house.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
We went to Bob's to look at a new living room set and the place was mobbed. The furniture looked cheap and I can almost gurantee it's made in CHINA which I will not buy from. We ended up buying from Ashley and the only items not made here are the accent tables.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 15,867 times
I have bought from bobs at least six times always had a good experience i was always happy with my delivery and my furniture never experienced any of the above comments i been a lawyer customer for years and have bought there portection plan i only had to use it once and they came over and fixed my problems and left and the job they did lasted me until the end i decided to get new stuff and i would pass it on to other family members i only keep my furniture an averge of six years then i get rid of it no problems here bye

Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 AM

110 posts, read 215,350 times
i purchased a Bob's sectional. delivery was not the greatest. i was confirmed for one day and they did come on the day they said they would be only one piece of the sectional came. i refused delivery and had to wait 3 weeks for another delivery date. we got a refund on the delivery for this mix up which was great.

the cushions are horrible. everytime someone sits on the couch they sink in. its hard for me to get up from the couch i have to build a bit of momentum before i can get out of my seat.

a friend of mine bought a couch and same issue. the first time they came over to sit down they asked is this Bob's? cause ours does the same thing...

u do get what you pay for. the price was attractive when we saw it in the store but after tax and delivery not so much. could have gotten something better for a bit more.

we will never buy bob's again ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island