Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2024, 10:50 AM

28 posts, read 32,698 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to the area in the next year or so. We have done some research and like both Richmond and Winchester. I know Winchester is much smaller, but what is your opinion of both and which would you recommend? We are in our late 60s but have a young grandson that lives with us. Affordability is a big factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 12:23 PM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times

Hi!

Welcome to the Kentucky threads here at City Data!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=SbwJHIcM5fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRSsfZTH9I

Live in Lexington, near both but never lived in either.
Maybe the video's will help a little.

Old 04-06-2024, 04:39 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Both are nice and certainly more affordable to Lexington. Both are conveniently located to Lexington if you need to get a big city fix. Richmond, home to EKU (one of the state’s regional colleges), is very much a college dominated town, which means there is more to do but it comes with headaches associated with that college and having a large number of young people compared to the general population. Winchester, primarily a combination of factory town and hub for surrounding rural/agricultural populations, is more affordable and has a small town feel to it. Both have decent to good school systems, so I would not really consider that a factor. Both are generally very safe but like everywhere there are pockets of less desirable areas. Richmond, being larger and having the college, has a greater variety of shopping and food options.

Keep in mind that while a smaller town with less commerce will have cheaper housing, the slightly bigger town with more grocery stores and gas stations is likely to have cheaper groceries and gas because of greater competition and more supplier options.

Old 04-06-2024, 02:32 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Oldhad1 pretty much summed it up. The only thing I could add is that Kentucky is still The South. People are outspoken in the South, so if you see something that bothers you, speak up. I have seen a LOT of things that didn't square up where I am in Little Rock, and the thing is, you can express yourself. If you see something that seems off the wall, say so. It's OK to express yourself, and probably things will change. Either way, people will know where you stand. Sometimes people get used to doing things a certain way, and don't understand that it isn't a one size fits all kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
View detailed profiles of: