Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 PM

42 posts, read 59,443 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I could really use your help! I just finished graduate school and am moving to Lexington to start a new job in August. Problem is I've only been to Lexington a couple of times. I fell in love with the area but don't know enough about it yet to do an effective housing search. I'd like to at least have some neighborhoods in mind when I get down there. Here's some background that I hope will help:

- I'll be working downtown on Vine
- I wouldn't say no to something cheaper of course but I'd be willing to spend up to $1000-$1100/mo
- I'm 25 years old so I could definitely do a neighborhood with young professionals or grad students, but would prefer not to be surrounded by undergraduate students
- I have a car and don't mind commuting; looking for a place where I don't have to worry about parking or my car being broken into
- I'm not a fan of giant anonymous apartment buildings or subdivisions; neighborhood character is nice
- I hope to adopt a dog when I arrive in Lexington
- Pie over cake (saw this somewhere)

I hope those preferences narrow the list but not to none! I would be extremely grateful for any neighborhood suggestions (streets help even more, since I only know neighborhoods from what I can find on Google Maps/Wikipedia).

I've also seen ads on Craigslist listing rooms on horse farms in neighborhood areas. I'm kind of intrigued by this since I love horses and driving through the country. Is this a terrible idea traffic-wise? Will I despise my mornings and evenings? For any other reasons?

Thanks so so much for any help you can give.

-TheLexGeneral
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 01:41 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Try Chevy Chase or adjoining Ashland Park - lots of older apartment buildings, minus pools and fitness rooms but well-maintained, in very desirable neighborhoods close to downtown.

Not sure about the dog - you'll have to inquire about each apartment's policy. I would assume small dogs would be more acceptable than large, however.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 PM

229 posts, read 371,498 times
I second looking at the Chevy Chase area... it's lovely. I actually work there, and really enjoy driving to work every day. The only issue is that you have the potential of being run down by students certain times of the year.

I would also suggest checking out Park Plaza. I have a friend who moved there after college and she absolutely loves it... she's been there 9 or 10 years now. She has a dog, so I know they allow pets. It's right in the heart of downtown, which is nice. They have a parking garage, so you wouldn't really ever have an issue with parking. The only thing that I don't love about it is that if you go out at night on foot, you'll encounter plenty of homeless folk that hang out around the building. I really don't think it's that big of a deal though, because you're right by the library, there are always tons of cops out, it would take you less than a minute to walk into a local business... like I said, I don't love it, but I don't feel unsafe either. (That's a lot coming from me, as I'm quite paranoid )

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 PM

https://www.andersoncommunities.com/park-plaza.php

Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Thank you for your responses.

I've heard a lot of positive things about the Chevy Chase area, but I can never seem to find any listings there. I will be in town in a couple of weeks, will I find better luck just driving around the area looking for "For Rent" signs? Should I seek out a broker to help me? If so, are there any recommendations? How do I go about seeking one out?

Thanks so much. I'm really looking forward to moving to Lexington but this housing search has me all stressed out.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLexGeneral View Post
Thank you for your responses.

I've heard a lot of positive things about the Chevy Chase area, but I can never seem to find any listings there. I will be in town in a couple of weeks, will I find better luck just driving around the area looking for "For Rent" signs? Should I seek out a broker to help me? If so, are there any recommendations? How do I go about seeking one out?

Thanks so much. I'm really looking forward to moving to Lexington but this housing search has me all stressed out.

I completely understand... I myself am in the process of moving from Lexington to Charleston, SC and we're having a lot of hiccups finding a home as well. Since I do work in the Chevy Chase area, I'll be more than happy to keep an eye out for For Rent signs for you. If I come across any phone numbers, I'll send them in a direct message.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emalineky View Post
I completely understand... I myself am in the process of moving from Lexington to Charleston, SC and we're having a lot of hiccups finding a home as well. Since I do work in the Chevy Chase area, I'll be more than happy to keep an eye out for For Rent signs for you. If I come across any phone numbers, I'll send them in a direct message.
I would really appreciate that. Thank you! Good luck with our home search.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,701 times
Check out the area on the northern end of downtown (Church St, Short St, around Gratz Park and between downtown and Transylvania). There are some apartments there, although most are not large apartment complexes. The area is great! I lived there for a little over a month and loved how it is in the center of the restaurants and some shops and beautiful old neighborhoods. It's an easy drive or a long walk to UK, and there is a free trolley/bus that connects downtown, UK, and Transy. Also, check out Park Plaza downtown. It is walkable to UK and is smack dab in the middle of downtown.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:47 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
I vote for Chevy Chase or Ashland Park. Very attractive and an easy walk/bike ride/drive to Vine. It's a very mixed neighborhood with a nice park, grocery stores and easy access to downtown.

I think you'd have a lot of luck if you drove around the neighborhood looking for signs.

Park plaza might be good for you. It's a high rise apartment though. The only one in the city...lol

I wouldn't recommend the area around Transy. There is a lot of crime in that area. I mean, it's safe overall because Lexington is safe overall, but I've personally encountered crime there. It's on the edge of the 'hood, to be blunt and not politically correct. Regular drug deals (beyond the college kind) and active street prostitution is just a few blocks away.

I also wouldn't recommend living outside the city. The rush hour traffic is not good. The roads aren't built for the amount of traffic they get. You can expect stress and traffic jams on a regular basis. It's not terrible, but if you can find a place closer to work, it will be worth it, IMHO. But driving in the country where horse farms are after a snow is absolute bliss...if you have no where to be in a hurry!

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area