Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most infuential immigrant group
African Americans 17 40.48%
Italians 2 4.76%
Hispanics 10 23.81%
Irish 6 14.29%
German 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 AM

630 posts, read 1,266,294 times

Advertisements

Is it Blacks, Hispanics, Italians, German or Irish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,842,450 times
It's a tie between African Americans, Italians, and Hispanics.

White kids these days tend to follow the same fashion as African Americans and Hispanics do, the guido population is shooting through the roof, and I'm an Asian-American eating a taco right now while wearing Italian leather shoes.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,034,673 times
I guess I would say the African-Americans. The most distinct group and probably the most influential on American culture, especially in music, entertainment, etc...

Although, most blacks didn't immigrate over...jusayin'.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 AM

399 posts, read 821,797 times
African Americans by far...

Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,344,965 times
Are we talking about recent immigrant groups? Or immigrants that arrived in the distant past?

I mean, you list German as an option here but German immigration to America is nothing more than a trickle these days. Germany itself is a country of immigration now. Irish and Italians are the same way. All three of those groups stopped coming over in mass following World War II.

And if we are including immigrants from the distant past, then Irish, Italians, or Germans wouldn't win anyway because the ethnic group that has contributing the most to American culture is the English. Hands down.

Now if we are talking only about ethnic or racial minorities in the modern day, then I would guess African Americans. Mostly because of their contributions to pop culture.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,433,362 times
Has to be Hispanics-most African Americans didn't come here voluntarily.
Hispanics are the only group who now have information/insructions etc written in their native language.

I never see jobs for german speaking health care workers etc advertised.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,433,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Are we talking about recent immigrant groups? Or immigrants that arrived in the distant past?

I mean, you list German as an option here but German immigration to America is nothing more than a trickle these days. Germany itself is a country of immigration now. Irish and Italians are the same way. All three of those groups stopped coming over in mass following World War II.

And if we are including immigrants from the distant past, then Irish, Italians, or Germans wouldn't win anyway because the ethnic group that has contributing the most to American culture is the English. Hands down.

Now if we are talking only about ethnic or racial minorities in the modern day, then I would guess African Americans. Mostly because of their contributions to pop culture.
I actually don't think that American culture is that similar to any other culture, especially not Europe or England. America has a real culture of rights and entitlement to the point where it often becomes ridiculous.I find the mix of that culture with Christianity here in NC often quite astounding.
I don't think any other country has that same culture. Maybe South Africa? or Australia?- but really that's kind of a shot in the dark.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,344,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
I actually don't think that American culture is that similar to any other culture, especially not Europe or England. America has a real culture of rights and entitlement to the point where it often becomes ridiculous.I find the mix of that culture with Christianity here in NC often quite astounding.
I don't think any other country has that same culture. Maybe South Africa? or Australia?- but really that's kind of a shot in the dark.
You know England is majority Christian as well, right? Hell, where do you think America got it's protestant culture? Answer - England! Guess where we got our system of law? England! Where did we get our language? England!

Australia is similar to England as well. Both America and Australia are daughters of England. Former colonies with large British descended people's inhabiting them.

South Africa, from what I read, is nothing like America. I think if we plopped ourselves within their territories we would feel like fish out of water.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,152,601 times
African Americans, for sure. Sports, music, literature, arts, looks... you name it.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 PM

41 posts, read 96,161 times
I'm surprised this is even a topic lol. Not saying in a rude manner, but African-Americans have played a major role in our society since we were brought here. From building, to working, to Civil Rights progression, to Pop Culture (Music, Sports, etc) lol.

I believe Hispanics have the next influence. Especially on the West Coast and South Western Region. In addition, we have to know Spanish and English nowadays. They are beginning to rival Asian-Americans in corner stores and restaurants.

But I'm happy to say that America is driven by the different cultures that have been brought in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration