Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,010,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David702 View Post
No, the real reason is because I'm getting laid off, but thanks for making assumptions. You know what they say about ASSUMPTIONS right?

If it was based on the home value, i would of walked away 8 or so months ago.

point is you are not laid off yet.. my buddy was laid off from cc in construction.. he was installing glass, he was out for 6 months.. they called him back this week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,822,257 times
I wish all these people that are reading the OP's mind would help me play some poker sometime! I wish I could tell what people were really thinking over the internet!!!

I would do the exact same thing, do what you can to make the situation the best for you and your family in the long run.

I don't care what you guys say, you would do the same thing (or some even worse) to protect and care for your family any way you can. If you say you wouldn't, well, I am glad you arent married to me or anyone in my family then.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM

202 posts, read 583,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
See people. This is what happens when you buy a house you CAN NOT afford. So Wake up America!!

If you have the money (saved) (in cash..whatever), and a locked in job.

Really? I bought a house I could afford but now my husband has been out of work for 8 months and we are about done with our savings. He got a job but it is only paying 1/3 of what he was making before. So you see when we bought our house with a conventional mortgage we could afford the payments. Not so much now. Since we had over 6 months worth of payments saved we figured if anything happened we would be fine then the economy took a nose dive. Do you really want to tell people that it is there own fault they could be losing their homes?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks yellowsnow,

Everyone, just think if it happen to you, what would you do?
If you have a home and could currently afford the payments, and now, you were told you were going to get laid off. Now, what are you going to do?

Keep paying the mortgage or save the money for your family?
What comes first? A family that loves you or a bank who knows you by a loan number?

That's what I thought.
David your best option is to try and find another job before you get laid off then if you can't you will get unemployment for atleast 6 months and at that point is when I would stop paying if you have to. It is a fact that the banks won't work with you until you stop paying your mortgage, I know because I just had friends who went through this. We are in the same spot you are and trying to figure out what to do. Good Luck.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
No, the real reason is because I'm getting laid off, but thanks for making assumptions. You know what they say about ASSUMPTIONS right?

If it was based on the home value, i would of walked away 8 or so months ago.

David you may be getting laid off, in the meantime look for another job. Think about it, your credit will be ruined for quite sometime if you just stop paying now. Give it time you don't know for sure if things will work out or not. Surely there is another job out there somewhere. I have been there done it, we have had a rough 8 months. Good Luck.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 PM

815 posts, read 2,053,157 times
The OP didn't purchase the home with the intent to defraud.

Few people do, the intent to defraud came later

Now since he/she has had to accept the fact that they are going to lose the home

Not written in stone

the question becomes how do I salvage what I can from the disaster?

How about your character?

For most people, walking away isn't an easy decision

At least the first time. Stealing becomes easier after the first time.

Is there a law or something that forces people who live in Las Vegas to abandon their ethics?
Or is it just a general principle that most people in Las Vegas justify....sort of like honor amongst thieves? I hope to retire there one day, but I am not going to alter my ethics just to fit in.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Your best option is to quit paying your mortgage right now. Then, after 2 or 3 months of being late, they will be willing to work with you. It is unfortunate, but this is the only way to get the bank will to bargain with you. Then you can either try to short sell it, or refinance it. I would also suggest contacting Olecapt as he is more knowledgeable about this than I am.
Banks aren't going to work with people who have no ability to pay the mortgage, all that would do is start the foreclosure process IMO.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:58 PM

37 posts, read 174,633 times
Hey Airics,

"The point is that the law says they can" ?? Really?
Are you an attorney?

I'm not, but I read my facts before I open my mouth.
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Statutes/...200914page1330

Old 09-01-2009, 02:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is not necessarily true. I agree with you that he should talk with his bank first, but take action if they deny refinancing the house. My best friend bought a house in the year 2000 for $90,000. By the year 2005, it had more than doubled, and he sold it for $190,000. He made $100,000 in profit. He then bought a house for $225,000 six months later in 2006. His house then tumbled down to $129,000 not too long ago. He tried to short sell it or refinance it, but they would not do it. He was given professional advice to intentionaly not pay his mortgage for 3 months, and try again. After doing this, the bank now went for it, and he got the house refinanced to $129,000, and his mortgage went from approximately $1,400 to $800 a month.
Doesn't make sense, most banks won't run around making 100k gifts.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,850,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
The OP didn't purchase the home with the intent to defraud.

Few people do, the intent to defraud came later

Now since he/she has had to accept the fact that they are going to lose the home

Not written in stone

the question becomes how do I salvage what I can from the disaster?

How about your character?

For most people, walking away isn't an easy decision

At least the first time. Stealing becomes easier after the first time.

Is there a law or something that forces people who live in Las Vegas to abandon their ethics?
Or is it just a general principle that most people in Las Vegas justify....sort of like honor amongst thieves? I hope to retire there one day, but I am not going to alter my ethics just to fit in.
Don't turn this into a "Las Vegas is shady" thread. You know full well that this stuff is happening everywhere.

As for the OP, you don't make the decision to walk away due to being laid off in a couple of months. You will still have to pay rent somewhere, won't you? If you are out of work how will you afford that? I would think that priority number one right now would be to secure employment, and if need be work multiple jobs to pay the nut.

That said, you are looking at anywhere from 4-6 months to be evicted after being served with a notice of default, which should likely take around 2-3 months from your first overdue payment. I know people that have been in there homes for over 12 months without a house payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas