Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 04:52 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,300,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrbwannabe View Post
We once thought we were going to move to Vegas, and my friend that had lived there before say to stay away from North Las Vegas, that it was like the ghetto of Vegas and you'd get shot. LOL. But that's all I know, I'm not a native.
Thats the old southern part of NLV. The newer North Las Vegas, which is north of Craig, is nice. One of the fastest growing cities in Nevada besides Henderson.
It is definitely nowhere near a ghetto. There are many million dollar homes there plus the new master planned community of Park Highlands being built will have many more million dollar homes. Your friend was most definitely thinking about the old nlv. Also known as Northtown to oldtimers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 06:41 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,749,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrbwannabe View Post
We once thought we were going to move to Vegas, and my friend that had lived there before say to stay away from North Las Vegas, that it was like the ghetto of Vegas and you'd get shot. LOL. But that's all I know, I'm not a native.
North Las Vegas has always had a reputation for behing the ghetto of the valley. No matter how many new homes they build or how they try to clean it up it will remain having that reputation. Much of it is deservedly so!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
North Las Vegas has always had a reputation for behing the ghetto of the valley. No matter how many new homes they build or how they try to clean it up it will remain having that reputation. Much of it is deservedly so!
On some subjects you are simply hopeless. A little buried racism maybe?

The northern part of NLV is interchangable with middle class Henderson and the middle class portions of the City of Las Vegas which are next to it and virtually identical in all meaningful parameters.

On a bang for the buck basis it is generally superior to anyplace on the south side. You get more house and as good or better schools for the same money.

Now if you are reasonably well off you don't need any of this. Head to any of the ritzy suburbs of Henderson or Summerlin or similar.

If however your are not taking home a few hundred thousand a year you may want to look at North Las Vegas. Certainly don't turn it down because RedWingFan does not like people of color...who can't afford that part of NLV anyway.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:41 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,692,005 times
I love that part of the valley because there's nice restaurants, a lot of shopping, and a diverse mix of people.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:52 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,057,446 times
I agree, olecapt. Using the term ghetto is disturbing in that it connotes cultural or racial overtones. Veiled racism, perhaps.

--'rocco

Old 03-11-2007, 12:10 AM

13 posts, read 114,892 times
Default Just to clear up some confusion.

Re: yes, pretty much anything east of Maryland and south of Desert Inn, and I believe olecapt said something about good apartments off of Decatur and Tropicana or Flamingo[/quote]- Is this area called a specific name like East LV or South?

Re: North Las Vegas, Thanks for the input from all of you that gave it, from what I gathered North LV beyond Craig should be OK and affordable for a Military Family. Thanks for your help everyone.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,692,005 times
there is no specific name for the area. East of Maryland South of Desert Inn, I guess would be considered SE or Central, it could also be called Paradise, Las Vegas National Country Club, East Side, not really sure what other names to use for it.

Decatur and Tropicana/Flamingo would be West or Southwest

Old 03-11-2007, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
On some subjects you are simply hopeless. A little buried racism maybe?

The northern part of NLV is interchangable with middle class Henderson and the middle class portions of the City of Las Vegas which are next to it and virtually identical in all meaningful parameters.

On a bang for the buck basis it is generally superior to anyplace on the south side. You get more house and as good or better schools for the same money.

Now if you are reasonably well off you don't need any of this. Head to any of the ritzy suburbs of Henderson or Summerlin or similar.

If however your are not taking home a few hundred thousand a year you may want to look at North Las Vegas. Certainly don't turn it down because RedWingFan does not like people of color...who can't afford that part of NLV anyway.

Olecapt, we had this very discussion before. You seem to think that because they have built some nice homes in some areas of North Las Vegas that the stigma/reputation has went away. That's not true. I know you'd like to believe it is so, but it's simply not. North Las Vegas has always had a reputation of being a ghetto. Build as many nice houses as you would like and people will always talk about how it has/had a reputation of being a ghetto. You turned it into a race issue, not me. I said nothing about color, merely what people see the cities' reputation as.

Furthermore, even if you can afford to live in one of the nicer areas of NLV, you are just down the road from the ghetto part and may even drive through it to get to where you are going. Personally I wouldn't buy anywhere in NLV, not even where nice houses have been built.

Ask people that are natives or who have been there longer than olecapt and they will tell you that NLV has always had that reputation. I'm curious as to why you turned it into a race issue. Maybe you have underlying predjuce problems.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
I agree, olecapt. Using the term ghetto is disturbing in that it connotes cultural or racial overtones. Veiled racism, perhaps.

--'rocco
Not at all. The word ghetto at one time was originally a word to describe where the section of Jewish people lived. That's not racial. Later, and in modern times we use the word to describe a lower class, seedy part of a city that does not necessarily have anything to do with culture or race. That's the connotation most people use it for today.

But if you want to be technical - If you look it up in the dictionary it says that it's an area where minorities live. Well, if you look up the statistics of NLV you will see that it's only 37 percent white, so that fits the description. NLV is mostly minorities. So my use of the word was in keeping in what the definition of the word is. Even if you don't care for it.

However, since you despise the word so much and want to be so politically correct, I'm open to considering alternative words to describe it. Can you offer any that you would not equally find offensive? What word would you use to describe an area that is largely minority, has a higher than average crime index, many poor areas, lots of public housing, poor schools, etc.?

Let's look at one statistic - crime in NLV:
Personal crime index is 299, the national average is 100. It has three times the amount of crime as the rest of the nation. In comparison, Henderson's index is 105, around the national average.

Property crime index in NLV is 388, national average is 100, Henderson is 96.

Personal crime incidents per 100,000 in NLV is a whopping 695, in Henderson it's 203.

I think you are getting my point. It has a reputation of being a high crime area and the statistics back that repuation. If you are going to buy in the valley, go to Henderson, especially Green Valley.

Keep in mind that as growth continues it may lose it's reputation...Maybe! But we are talking about it's REPUTATION and that is of it being a ghetto (or you can replace that with any word you fee more comfortable using, I don't mind).

Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Well you got the statitics wrong at the start. According to the 2000 census NLV is 55% white. But since then the population has doubled and that increase likely reflects Nevada makeup. Which suggests NLV at this point is likely 65 or 70% white.

Neither NLV or Henderson publish their detailed crime statistics so it is not possible to compare neighborhoods. Thus while it is apparent that both cities have lower socio/economic neighborhoods with the resultant high crime it is not possible to compare their middle class neighborhoods. There is however no reason to believe they differ significantly.

The issue is not the "reputation" of North Las Vegas. It is whether NLV is a suitable place to buy or rent a home. Just like in Henderson it is a perfectly reasonable place if you avoid the troubled areas. The same thing is true of the City of Las Vegas. Don't buy at D and Monroe if you want a quiet crime free life.

The disservice done when this sort of junk is communicated is that you deprive some people of what may be the best alternative available to them.

The bang for buck in north NLV is simply better than in Henderson or much of the NW or SW. Again if you are well off there are better alternatives. If you are not it may be the best solution available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas