Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 05:49 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times

Advertisements

According to money magazine, Henderson and Spring Valley are pretty good places to live in NV.

Best places to live 2008 - Henderson, NV - from MONEY Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 06:21 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
Good to know. Even though I am still moving down the chart from #61 at least I will still be on it!!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:24 PM

Oh, and Henderson was actually 84th!! That's even better!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:26 PM

whoops, it is 84th... close enough!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Weird list. Pass the grain of salt. What? four cities above 200K?

Spring Valley? That is not a city or even an incorporated town...it is simply part of unincorporated Clark County.

Planned communities? Since when. Neither Henderson nor Spring Valley is "planned". Both are zoned but that is about it. There are planned areas in each but lots of unplanned happening too.

Why not Summerlin? Because it is part of the City of Las Vegas. But Spring Valley is part of Clark County.

All weird and strange.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You know these lists are not to be taken seriously anyways. Its only someone's opinion.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,849,858 times
Not to mention that the "city" of Spring Valley only has a 4.25% sales tax as opposed to the 7.75% the rest of the state is paying.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,364 times
Money Magazine is a joke. And this article is a total joke. I've lived in quite a few of the cities and can personally vouch that several are dumps where you would not want to raise a family and many have horrible economies. Some of the best cities on this list are near the bottom. And then there are plenty of fine communities not even on the list.

The fact that 6 cities on the list are in MI and 4 of those are immediate suburbs of Detroit should say something. Homes that folks aren't just walking away from, they are burning to the ground? No jobs and centered around the crime capital of the entire planet? Gimme a break.

And don't get me started on the number of cities from Oklahoma on this list. They just got their first NBA team...welcome to the 1950's. Norman should be in the top 10 only if they are counting meth labs per capita.

Seems like the scoring system was horribly biased for some arbitrary factor like air quality or number of museums. Because if all numbers were ranked equally Henderson should have been much higher. (Bellevue, WA should have been much higher too, but that is for a different board)

Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
The fact that 6 cities on the list are in MI and 4 of those are immediate suburbs of Detroit should say something. Homes that folks aren't just walking away from, they are burning to the ground? No jobs and centered around the crime capital of the entire planet? Gimme a break.
C'mon, I am not saying that all those cities should be on this list but it ain't all that bad. Quite the exaggeration. I know no homes that are going up in flames on a regular basis due to people losing them. Not in the 'burbs anyway. Maybe in Detroit. Detroit is a world away from me and I am in Sterling Heights. I don't ever have to know it is there if I choose not too. If I don't listen to the news, I would never know. Most likely just like Henderson to the Strip.

The no jobs is definitely true and the housing market is not good unless you are a buyer and don't need to sell here to do that.

That being said, I do agree that the list is a little skewed.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,365,413 times
It's pretty obvious that whoever wrote that doesn't have a clue so why give it any attention? The assumption of these things is that "a magazine" has intelligence and is all knowing. It wasn't "a magazine" that wrote that, it was an obviously ignorant human...which, I hate to tell you, most reporters are. They always let their prejudices override their good sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas