Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 486 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family is considering moving to Vegas, and we looked around, and I wanted to get your thoughts on the safety and school ratings.

89149 - near Durangon Dr / Elkhorn Rd

89166 - Grand Teton Dr / Tee Pee Ln. (Bigger crossroads are Grand Teton Dr / N Grand Canyon Dr)

1)Are these two both good/safe? Which one is better if at all?
2)Are these better than southwest location?
3)Which schools are better in terms of zip code?

Last edited by lasvegasquestion99; 04-01-2024 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 11:41 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,712,982 times
Both locations are very close to US 95, road noise might be an issue. The areas seem relatively safe.

I lived in Providence (89149) for about a year (2018-2019), it's a nice area. When I lived up there, traffic was a lot less than where I am now, 89052.

The issue for me was, there were not a lot of restaurants up there. Maybe that has changed. It's a bit of a drive down to Summerlin or The Strip if that matters to you.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:13 PM

48 posts, read 51,999 times
We live in 89143, close to both zip codes you mentioned, very safe and growing quickly, everything we need within 5 min of our house, we're extremely happy with our decision.

Old 04-04-2024, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningja View Post
We live in 89143, close to both zip codes you mentioned, very safe and growing quickly, everything we need within 5 min of our house, we're extremely happy with our decision.
That zip code goes from Farm Road at the south end up past Floyd Lamb Park to Tule Springs. It's about as far north as you can go and a long way from most things in Las Vegas except Mt. Charleston. I thought Providence was too far from most of Las Vegas.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:45 PM

48 posts, read 51,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
That zip code goes from Farm Road at the south end up past Floyd Lamb Park to Tule Springs. It's about as far north as you can go and a long way from most things in Las Vegas except Mt. Charleston. I thought Providence was too far from most of Las Vegas.
It definitely depends on your situation, we had just retired when we moved up here, so didn't have to worry about commuting for work, and I think we've been to the strip twice in the 2 1/2 years we've been here. Also like that's it's a few degrees cooler in the summer because we're about 600' higher in elevation than the valley.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningja View Post
It definitely depends on your situation, we had just retired when we moved up here, so didn't have to worry about commuting for work, and I think we've been to the strip twice in the 2 1/2 years we've been here. Also like that's it's a few degrees cooler in the summer because we're about 600' higher in elevation than the valley.
I lived in Providence for about a year and liked it a lot. That was five years ago and there weren't many restaurants up there then. I bet its very nice now. I almost wish I hadn't moved to 89052, but the circumstances were beyond my control at the time.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:49 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,910 times
Although this is an old map arguably the data is still pretty accurate.
Crime in Las Vegas
Also using spotcrime app you can plug in a specific address and see crime around there. Crimemapping is also a good one.

Last edited by Packrat1; 04-04-2024 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 04-05-2024, 07:31 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
We are in 89052. Many favorable reviews on the local schools and low crime area.

However crime is everywhere ~ mostly property crime. Some tips that will prove to greatly reduce chance of you becoming a property crime victim:

*Have a garage and keep your car in the garage overnight. A large majority of crime here in the valley is car theft and car invasion.

*Crimesafe security screens. Have them installed (average cost $20K for whole house) and consider them part of the price of the home. Virtually NO breakin’s with these screens. People also use security film (work but burglars can’t tell by simple observation they are installed so burglar trespass will occur) or rolling security shutters (have to remember to engage them every time one leaves the house, often people forget) and security cameras or alarms…(limited success)

Old 04-09-2024, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 1,295 times
Summerlin, then Seven Hills/Green Valley, then Southern Highlands, in that order.

The zip codes you mentioned, OP, are good. The further away from downtown, the better. That is really all you need to know. That Providence area is excellent.

Old Today, 09:44 AM

61 posts, read 451,785 times
We moved here 2 years ago and like a lot of people wanted to be in Summerlin or Henderson. After looking at quite a few homes, we decided on the NW. We liked that it was a lot less crowded and had less traffic. We are in 89149, Centennial Hills. There are a lot of food options and things to do in this area. More people are realizing what a nice area this is and are moving here which has caused prices to go up significantly. Crime is not bad, but like anything else you must stay vigilant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: