Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 06:22 PM

5,594 posts, read 5,055,617 times

Advertisements

What is LLC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 08:22 PM

8,005 posts, read 3,940,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What is LLC?
If only there were a web thing where you could type in a question, "What is an LLC?" ... and then the web thing would give you the answer.

Old 09-05-2023, 08:35 PM

10,040 posts, read 9,532,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What is LLC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
If only there were a web thing where you could type in a question, "What is an LLC?" ... and then the web thing would give you the answer.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=LLC

Old 09-06-2023, 06:43 AM

195 posts, read 142,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Step 1. Form an LLC in Montana.
Step 2. Register the vehicle in Montana in the name of the Montana LLC.
Step 3. Your LLC pays modest LLC fees in Montana, and pays modest registration fees in Montana.
Step 4. Receive your Montana license plates overnight via FedEx

You're good to go. Because the LLC is domiciled in Montana and does not move to Nevada, the vehicle does not need to be re-registered in Nevada.

This is why that is a very, very bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebDF-C7GJec

Old 09-06-2023, 08:14 AM

6,760 posts, read 3,386,526 times
My personal opinion is that this Montana thing is ridiculous. It's a lot of work just to save some money and you're defrauding the state to boot. I would not want to drive around with Montana plates and have to explain why to a cop if I got pulled over.

Further, and I'm not trying to seem righteous or anything, but we don't pay state income tax here and we don't pay tolls, and our license fees support the state. You have to be pretty cheap and indignant to want to live here and skate on license fees while everybody else pays up.

If you want to be cheap and use Montana plates, go live in Montana.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
This is why that is a very, very bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebDF-C7GJec
First, I haven't done the Montana thing.

Second, I watched the 18-ish minute video in its entirety, and learned zero. It was informational to the uninitiated, but otherwise useless to someone who has done even basic research on the matter. Everything he said is true, but also fully disclosed by attorneys in Montana who do this for a living.

Third, the insurance issue he discusses in the video, while true, is a red herring. Your LLC buys insurance on its asset (the car), just as LLCs of operating companies everywhere in the USA purchases insurance on their assets. You don't just call State Farm and ask to add your hypercar added to your personal policy; you buy appropriate business insurance including a business umbrella policy. For example, I know a heart surgeon who owns a medical practice with a half-dozen physicians and probably two dozen other employees. He has business insurance for his business. He also shows up every now and then at Cars and Coffee with an exotic Hypercar owned by his business. There are issues, and he takes care of the issues lawfully.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
My personal opinion is that this Montana thing is ridiculous. It's a lot of work just to save some money and you're defrauding the state to boot. I would not want to drive around with Montana plates and have to explain why to a cop if I got pulled over.

Further, and I'm not trying to seem righteous or anything, but we don't pay state income tax here and we don't pay tolls, and our license fees support the state. You have to be pretty cheap and indignant to want to live here and skate on license fees while everybody else pays up.

If you want to be cheap and use Montana plates, go live in Montana.
I tend to agree with you. No one likes having to pay for registering a Ferrari or GT3 or Rolls, but that's the price tag of owning an expensive toy.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:48 PM

295 posts, read 363,803 times
I just paid $750 on a 2017 Lexus LX570 SUV

Old 10-24-2023, 09:40 PM

775 posts, read 778,522 times
It’s one reason why I’m driving a perfectly good 2006 Taurus with 80k miles instead of falling for the hype of new cars. My registration is $108 a year. It is garaged and I drive less than 2000 miles a year so insurance is good, too. I fill my tank every 3-4. On the. I see some of the vehicles on the roads here and wonder how anyone can afford to drive them. If one has to commute and have the latest and greatest, it costs a bomb.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:46 AM

6,386 posts, read 11,910,331 times
Not that I'm suggesting anyone do this but a friend of mine has gone the South Dakota route. They are famous for the 1-night residency and the lack of smog checks for cars, not to mention reasonable insurance rates. My friend spends about 5 months in Vegas, 3-4 months on the Gulf Coast, and the rest of the year traveling internationally. Note he spends no time in South Dakota. He said he's been pulled over twice in Nevada and he told the officers I just spend winters here and got no issues from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: