Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 02:42 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times

Advertisements

I plan on visiting Mount Charleston over the summer. Does the area have an alpine feel like the Sierras or San Bernardino Mountains or is it much more arid, desert feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 05:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I plan on visiting Mount Charleston over the summer. Does the area have an alpine feel like the Sierras or San Bernardino Mountains or is it much more arid, desert feel?
Lol like the Sierras, maybe if you enjoy visiting the Donner Summer rest area. It's green and has pines the last 1,000 feet up on the road. When you get up there it's got enough hiking to entertain you for maybe a day and not much else. It's like a novelty more than anything in the summer and a place to go skiing for a few hours in winter.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:07 AM

399 posts, read 562,983 times
You've clearly never hiked North or South loop, Bristleone, Bonanza Peak, Griffith Peak, North / South Sisters, etc. Mt Charleston is phenomenal....HOWEVER, it needs to be gated and now a fee area to manage traffic. Too many visitors are ruining everything that was good about Mt Charleston.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:14 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esas View Post
You've clearly never hiked North or South loop, Bristleone, Bonanza Peak, Griffith Peak, North / South Sisters, etc. Mt Charleston is phenomenal....HOWEVER, it needs to be gated and now a fee area to manage traffic. Too many visitors are ruining everything that was good about Mt Charleston.

People are ruining all of the outdoor recreation areas in the state. Its crazy to me that people go out of their way to enjoy the outdoors but simultaneously destroy it with trash, dog poop and unleashed dogs, recreational vehicles, graffiti, illegal bonfires and so on.

Old 05-04-2023, 12:59 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Lol like the Sierras, maybe if you enjoy visiting the Donner Summer rest area. It's green and has pines the last 1,000 feet up on the road. When you get up there it's got enough hiking to entertain you for maybe a day and not much else. It's like a novelty more than anything in the summer and a place to go skiing for a few hours in winter.

Mount Charleston seems very rugged and the elevation is close to parts of the Sierras. Does it have a very arid feel like the White Mountains east of Owens Valley or does it have a level of greenery similar to the San Bernardino Mountains and drier parts of the Eastern Sierras.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:42 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Mount Charleston seems very rugged and the elevation is close to parts of the Sierras. Does it have a very arid feel like the White Mountains east of Owens Valley or does it have a level of greenery similar to the San Bernardino Mountains and drier parts of the Eastern Sierras.
Definitely a more arid feel, from my brief experiences there. The weird thing is how it goes from dry to SNOW in such a short distance - almost like you cross an imaginary line, and suddenly you're in knee-deep powder. At least when I was there in January, that's how it felt! But still drier than what you see/feel in the Sierras, for sure.

And since I started this thread a year ago, I'm still in California. But now I might be considering LV again, since unfortunately my mother was recently diagnosed with Stage-4 cancer (colon). She really wants me to move there to be near her, so I'm back to thinking about it... I'll start another thread for info, though, since Mt. Charleston doesn't seem to be viable due to lack of housing inventory.

Old 06-08-2023, 07:44 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,255,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And since I started this thread a year ago, I'm still in California. But now I might be considering LV again, since unfortunately my mother was recently diagnosed with Stage-4 cancer (colon). She really wants me to move there to be near her, so I'm back to thinking about it... I'll start another thread for info, though, since Mt. Charleston doesn't seem to be viable due to lack of housing inventory.
So sorry to hear about your Mom.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:16 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Quote:
Definitely a more arid feel, from my brief experiences there. The weird thing is how it goes from dry to SNOW in such a short distance - almost like you cross an imaginary line, and suddenly you're in knee-deep powder. At least when I was there in January, that's how it felt! But still drier than what you see/feel in the Sierras, for sure.

I drive up to Lee Canyon from my house at 2375' to a friends cabin at 8300'. From driveway to driveway it's ONLY 39 miles and you go 6000' feet up in elevation in that short distance. That's the "imaginary" line kinda
True the inventory is limited up there, but there are homes for sale up there. I guess a lot depends on your budget.

Old 07-10-2023, 10:22 AM

117 posts, read 106,451 times
Quote:
Btw, this house is what sparked my interest in the area: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...?ex=2933718177

Isn't that cool?? And it's been on the market for almost a year, so I'm tempted to make a lowball offer like now. Probably some reason it's been sitting for a while, though.
That TV in the bedroom! Has the place been occupied in the last twenty years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas