Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 71,914 times

Advertisements

I moved to las vegas in october this year, so i have only been here a few months, so far i do feel that there is a lot of crime here, from what i see on the news and see on the streets. i live in north east las vegas near las vegas blvd. and i am starting to think it might have been a big mistake to move here becasue from what i have heard this is one of the worst neighborhoods. i see the bums on the street and the graffiti, the ganster looking guys with tinted windows in their cars, it isnt all new to me becasue i am from san diego county, ca. but is it really dangerous to be living here? i am 7 months pregnant, my husband and i moved here thinking it would be nice for a change and to be able to get an bigger place to live for a cheaper price, but now i just dont know if this is the kind of place i even want to have an infant living in. last week my moped worth $2000 was stolen from my driveway, it was locked up to a post and they cut the lock. now this week 5 peoples cars in my trailer park have been broken into, i am getting really worried and want to know if i just moved to the middle of the worst part of vegas or something along thoes lines. please give me some feedack and advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 03:54 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,747,514 times
There is higher crime in Las Vegas than many other larger cities. However, if you moved anywhere near Las Vegas Blvd. it was a big mistake. You should move away from there and fast. I wouldn't live anywhere near that road. Too much crime because it's where the bums and gangs hang out.

You can find some decent neighbhorhoods in Vegas. Look into moving to Summerlin or the Green Valley area. You can also look at crime maps on the Las Vegas Metro Police Dept. website (lvmpd.com). You can type in your address and see all the crimes around there for the last month. You can do that for areas you are considering moving to. That way you can see what areas get less crime.

So my advice, before you leave the city, try leaving that area of town. You aren't in a good area of town. Move to a nicer area and see how you like it. I can say that I lived in that city for over 9 years and the only crime that happened to me was that someone tried stealing my car once (they were unsuccessful though). But that can happen anywhere...

Old 12-08-2006, 07:55 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Redwingfan has that one about right. That is one of the highest crime areas in Las Vegas...a factor of 5 to 10 times as bad as the more reasonable areas. If you are between Owens and 95 you are in the City of Las Vegas...if North of Owens the city of North Las Vegas. Be very careful and move at the first opportunity.

Old 12-09-2006, 12:54 AM

4 posts, read 81,250 times
I live din Las vegas for only 3 months ,and ran back to New York.I lived in central Las Vegas on Swenson Steet.While I was there when I watched the new all the crime was in north las vegas I thought maybe i got lucky living in Pinewood , not so

Old 12-09-2006, 11:16 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,689,018 times
Green Valley is not a crime free area. The area that you're living in is ok. Its not as bad as some other people think it is. You'll be finding grafitti and bums everywhere else.

Old 12-10-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
Green Valley is not a crime free area. The area that you're living in is ok. Its not as bad as some other people think it is. You'll be finding grafitti and bums everywhere else.

It may be better than naked city but not by much. Upon what do you base your opinion?

Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,747,514 times
If you do a search online you can find a list of the most dangerous cities and Vegas is certainly high up on that list.

And speaking of grafitti... I despise it and Vegas is filled with it! Since leaving there I have traveled to many states and cities and have not seen any grafitti. Vegas has it the worst I've seen of any city.

Oh, and olecapt, before you try to refute what I'm telling people I must be fair and tell you that a while ago someone did tell me how to put someone on my ignore list It's beautiful, you are the only person on it and I never have to see any of your posts! I love it.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:20 PM

31 posts, read 187,166 times
graffiti in new york is way worse than vegas, la, chicago, philly... all way worse in grafitti so i would probably have to agrue with redwingsfan. im not sure about crime, but in my opinion; las vegas isnt that bad.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hky3212002 View Post
graffiti in new york is way worse than vegas, la, chicago, philly... all way worse in grafitti so i would probably have to agrue with redwingsfan. im not sure about crime, but in my opinion; las vegas isnt that bad.
Redwingfan hates Vegas and is not bothered by Facts. I don't write for her so I could care less whether she reads my stuff or not. I write for the people who are asking the questions.

There is some graffitti in Las Vegas. Mostly it is taken care of promptly. It is much less than in many number of cities around the country. A lot of that is because the City/County wants to look good for the visitors.

I suspect RedWingFan knows that but ignores it so she can knock Vegas.

Of the roughly 50 cities of more than 500,000 Las Vegas is 28th for violent crime. Middle of the pack and doing quite well when you consider the 40 million visitors each year.

Last edited by olecapt; 12-10-2006 at 10:22 PM..

Old 12-11-2006, 03:15 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Like someone else here said, I definately would move out! Its not a safe place to start a family and that trailor park is a bad area at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas