Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:48 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times

Advertisements

[quote=jfkIII;2631202
According to Forbes lists, Julia is right on with this. LV made the lists for the top sedentary and obese U.S. cities, while New York City did not appear. I had once heard on NPR that this was due to the amount of walking that NYC dwellers do.

[/QUOTE]

Only in Manhattan can a beautiful woman in a VERY expensive dress walk down a crowded street in sneakers and change into 5" cfm's without ever missing a step.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Ahh yes...but remember I was a college student in NYC. A college student wants one thing beyond all good sense...a car. While slogging up the east side from Bellevue in a foot of snow...what do you want? A car...When crashing across Central Park late for an appointment and it is 92 and 95 what do you want? A Car... When heading home after class and working a night shift what do you want? Anything but getting on the frigging F train.

New Yorker walk almost everywhere...and hate every minute of it. You ever done 242nd to the shuttle to the east side to the F train to Jamaica? There are less pleasant things on earth but I have not done one in the last 30 aor 40 years. You take a bath when you get home because you stink from the subway....

Old 01-26-2008, 10:02 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
Worked in Manhattan for six straight months one time. Walked everyday from Penn Station to Madison & 23rd and loved it...even in the rain. Even though the walk was over a mile and took 20 minutes or so...you'd swear you only walked a couple of blocks.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Worked in Manhattan for six straight months one time. Walked everyday from Penn Station to Madison & 23rd and loved it...even in the rain. Even though the walk was over a mile and took 20 minutes or so...you'd swear you only walked a couple of blocks.
Sure you did...and above all other things you loved changing trains in Jamaica...sure you did.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,504,856 times
ahhh...the LIRR....hated that part, for sure...but did love the brisk walk. Like fitting in exercise without even knowing it.

One thing I remember most...was the day of the Rodney King verdict. LA had started their rioting, so the NYC mayor (Dinkins) thought it might spread to NYC and shut down the city. It was a mass exodus for the trains...and very odd to see all the gates down on the stores at 4pm as everyone tried to get out of there. Penn Station was a complete madhouse...so packed that your body simply moved any which way the sea of panicked people pushed it. I remember just climbing on any train out of there, as you could not make it to your usual gate. I ended up on some train on the north line, when I lived in Babylon (south line). The train's last stop was Seaford, I believe, where I just called my ex to pick me up.

Pure chaos...and never needed...as the violence never spread.

Last edited by jfkIII; 01-26-2008 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-16-2008, 12:45 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,552 times
Shootings, here, there, everywhere. Students, graffitti artists, Metro, Henderson PD; one for all, and all for one. Gee, I forgot about the predatory family court judge.

Last edited by sheriff; 02-16-2008 at 01:18 AM..

Old 02-16-2008, 06:39 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,714,496 times
Wow, lots of stuff going on! not just here.. but the whole USA.. Maybe there should be a "USA is a CessPool"

Old 02-16-2008, 09:04 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Shootings, here, there, everywhere. Students, graffitti artists, Metro, Henderson PD; one for all, and all for one. Gee, I forgot about the predatory family court judge.
da#$ Sheriff...I thought they'd throwed you in jail or somethin......yep....it's spread from Las Vegas to Indiana now.....all our fault

Old 02-16-2008, 02:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
Wow, lots of stuff going on! not just here.. but the whole USA.. Maybe there should be a "USA is a CessPool"
Please! Don't give him any ideas.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sorry Julia...it is walkable but you have to be in pretty good shape. Around 13 miles long by 2.3 wide. And remember that depends on whether you are talking about the island or the borough. And again before or after they screwed with the top of the island. I was born in Washington Heights...and the family still ones an apartment at 1803 Riverside Drive and a three plex over at the foot of Van Cortlandt Park.

And I disagree...even though I used to be an expert NYC type it is far easier to get around with a car in Vegas than it is without one in NYC. Cars of course don't work in NYC. But they do in Vegas.

Sure the subways was great...but then you had the shuttle and the express and the local and the crowds and...Generally one allowed an hour to get anywhere in Manhattan unless you were only working the prime business district. And then you still needed a half hour.
I lived in Washington Heights for six months, and that was one of the major disadvantages of it's location. I lived at Ft.Washington and 168th, very near the subway station. However, it seemed like a big deal to get into the cooler parts of Manhattan when I did want to go. There wasn't really anything in its immediate proximity. I later lived in other areas of NYC, and could much moreso get into the NYC life.

All that being said, you do make some valid points which is interesting for a person like myself who is VERY PRO-NYC as the ideal public transportation system. I mean the fact that car simply DOESNT work in NYC. That has its plusses and minuses though. On one account, ALL kinds of people are on the subway and not just the lowest income and down-on-their-luck ones like you'd most often see on Vegas CAT system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas