Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,451,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I think most people share that point of view but I would challenge you to examine how many assumptions you are making about the OP based on the limited amount of information he/she posted. People who actually need help seem to get chased away on this forum without really knowing much about their situation. Everyone is the shining example of righteousness when on the internet. This is not necessarily directed at you pommy. The situation just made me think about it.
I wasn't addressing the OP or judging the OP. I was making a statement in general. I still maintain that many people lack incentive to seek work when receiving extended unemployment benefits.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:21 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,592,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
You are 100% correct but thats only a small percent of the military. Most of my active duty friends are dental assistants, cooks, lodging managers, mechanics(me),teachers(me), clerks, radar technicians etc.

Most of them have never had to carry a weapon besides the training for just in case instances. Or when we deploy.

Not everyone is infantry.

I am aware of that and that is a valid point. If it came down to it though and they were called upon they could and would be required to engage in combat though correct?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,215,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I cannot remember. I had one friend who I know served in Desert Storm. I had two other friends serve in the Army. I have not talked to any of them in so many years so I just don't know.
So for all you know, they could be doing exceptionally well.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I am aware of that and that is a valid point. If it came down to it though and they were called upon they could and would be required to engage in combat though correct?
Yes, 100% correct. Everyone fights if it ever came to it, but if it came down to a cook, dental assistant, clerk, mechanic or electrician having to directly engage in combat................You can definitely expect a major draft.

This would mean that most infantry is injured or dead. and they would need other non infantry to back-fill the infantry positions. Then someone else will have to do the unfilled jobs.(reservist/guard/draft)

Basically like the WW2 scenerio which had hundreds of thousands of women doing jobs that men were normally doing.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:14 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,489,823 times
I'm wondering what all this totally ignorant, and frankly, scary, talk about the military has to do with the OP's question about when they might expect their benefits to be renewed.

To the OP, call ESD. I think you might have to reopen your claim if you stopped collecting, or ran out of benefits seven weeks ago. For all they know you may be back to work. You may be able to do it on line.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:15 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,380,714 times
Here are a few idea's to get unemployed people out there and doing at least something.
Call them up for jury duty. Let the working people go to their jobs and use all the unemployed for something useful while they are looking for work. And the one's that are chronically unemployed because they dont' want to work, they will have to do it too.

Up the age for the military. Instead of 32, up it to 49. People are far from old at 49, and into their 50's even. Give more people a chance if they want to serve. If you have to go to war, and you have to shoot people, just try to pretend it's just a tool you work with. Or it's either them or you. Although I do not like war either, people need work of some kind. And it is interesting, you get to travel, go to places you've never been and go to places you've never wanted to go to as well.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Here are a few idea's to get unemployed people out there and doing at least something.
Call them up for jury duty. Let the working people go to their jobs and use all the unemployed for something useful while they are looking for work. And the one's that are chronically unemployed because they dont' want to work, they will have to do it too.

Up the age for the military. Instead of 32, up it to 49. People are far from old at 49, and into their 50's even. Give more people a chance if they want to serve. If you have to go to war, and you have to shoot people, just try to pretend it's just a tool you work with. Or it's either them or you. Although I do not like war either, people need work of some kind. And it is interesting, you get to travel, go to places you've never been and go to places you've never wanted to go to as well.
I dont know much about unemployment but this is a great idea.

My question is...When someone is collecting UE, do they have to do anything like report somewhere? Or just call once a week? If not I think those that are collecting UE should back fill city/state jobs. Even if its filing paperwork or picking up trash at a city park. Just something to keep them waking up every morning and active.

Just a thought.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I'm wondering what all this totally ignorant, and frankly, scary, talk about the military has to do with the OP's question about when they might expect their benefits to be renewed.

To the OP, call ESD. I think you might have to reopen your claim if you stopped collecting, or ran out of benefits seven weeks ago. For all they know you may be back to work. You may be able to do it on line.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,489,823 times
Looking for work is a full time job. There's not much time for jury duty, or anything else. If you said that about welfare recipients then I might agree, but people on unemployment want a job. There is a problem with people giving up after a while, which is understandable. Losing your job is almost always devastating and being turned down for work several times a week is very depressing. ESD is probably so overwhelmed themselves with so many out of work that they might not be doing some things that we used to do, but I don't know that for sure. One of those things was to bring people in for extra help in finding jobs. If they didn't show up they were cut off. The reason isn't to punish them though. The reason is that it is easy to give up unless someone keeps pushing you. Most job seekers are required to look for work at least three days a week, and to keep proof of the job search. After a certain number of weeks we would increase their work search to four days or five days a week. When someone has a problem, he'll solve it if you give him a bigger problem. Sounds strange, but it's similar to a batter swinging two bats before he comes to the plate. As people get more and more sure nobody's going to hire them, they need to know that somebody has confidence in them, and that might take a kick in the pants. I don't think that there have ever been this many extensions on UI. I'm surprised that they are getting more than a year of benefits, but there just aren't any jobs. UI is not enough to live on. People get the idea that it's some kind of welfare and that people just want to sit at home a do nothing while they get UI benefits. It may be true in a few cases, but not many. Most UI recipients just want to work, and if they quit looking they will lose their benefits or end up paying it back. A few get away with it, but most get caught eventually.

BTW: it is called UI, not UE. Stands for Unemployment Insurance because it is just another group insurance policy paid for by your employers over and above your salary, to insure you'll get a stipend to tide you over while you look for another job if they can't afford to keep you on.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:25 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,380,714 times
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Welfare recipients. They should be picked first of course.
As for the unemployed, some do give up. They are probably the newly homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas