Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces
 [Register]
Las Cruces Dona Ana County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 02:07 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,280,363 times

Advertisements

A small, simple house in my neighborhood just went on the market. A hard-working low income, single mom with kids lives there. I'm pretty sure they rented it. Within hours, the people who don't need homes had descended on it and were eyeballing it for profit, before a single working class person could even view it. I spoke to one of the potential buyers. They already own a much nicer house elsewhere. They don't even need a house. They have no plan to live there. Lots of people do need housing, and can't afford any.

If they buy it and snazz it up, as is their plan, it will no longer be affordable to buy OR rent for a low income single mom with kids. It will become yet another in the ever-increasing number of houses that will be bought and lived in by people who don't even need a place to live, and don't need to make a living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 02:12 PM

10,995 posts, read 6,860,952 times
I only have two things to say:

It's happening all over. I've lived a few different places in the past 23 years, right before each area "boomed," making the COL go sky high. Very frustrating. It was only a matter of time before it started happening to Albuquerque. (Already happened to Santa Fe years ago.) Now Las Cruces. I'll bet no one ever thought it would happen there, but then again...

Old 07-28-2022, 02:35 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
This is actually going on in neighborhoods built as "affordable housing" projects 10-20 years ago. As the people who bought them and occupied them for years moved on up, they've kept their initial "investment" (not realizing, that one reason the housing was affordable is that some city codes were waived to make the homes cheaper to build, and the cheapest materials were used throughout, and started giving out at the 20 year mark, requiring replacement). This is an area where every home has cement slab floors and no insulation, costing more to heat and cool.

A new start-up property management agency targeted the neighborhood, and has been going around telling LL's renting out what once were their own starter homes, that they could nearly double their rent, if the spiff the homes up a little. So those renters get pushed out, wondering what's left for them in the "affordable" category. Moving to the villages outside of SF? Lamy, Glorieta? REITs are starting to take over rentals or to build apt buildings there, that charge Santa Fe "market rates".

Old 07-28-2022, 03:37 PM

16,072 posts, read 10,732,474 times
I don't think there are affordable homes being built. At least not that anyone wants to live in. I see corporate feedlot neighborhoods going up. I guess it looks better than an apartment if you have a family but not much better.

When I moved here I tried to buy a foreclosure home during the recession. The flippers were in cahoots with the banks and feds so a single person could not even get attention. We never even got a call back.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:01 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I don't think there are affordable homes being built. At least not that anyone wants to live in. I see corporate feedlot neighborhoods going up. I guess it looks better than an apartment if you have a family but not much better.

When I moved here I tried to buy a foreclosure home during the recession. The flippers were in cahoots with the banks and feds so a single person could not even get attention. We never even got a call back.
It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!!!

Old 07-28-2022, 05:42 PM

10,995 posts, read 6,860,952 times
To me, and a lot of other people, it seems that big money is swooping in and buying up large swaths of previously "undesirable" or "not impressive" or previously non-marketable areas. Nothing impressive left for them to "rape and pillage," IMO.

15 years ago I was a penpal with someone in Vancouver, B.C. Heard a lot about what happened up there with foreigners swooping in and buying up scores of properties and driving prices way up and natives way out. Same thing happening all over the country. Seems like that's why some people are buying land and building off grid. Makes sense to me, except there could be a danger in that (bureaucracy will find a way...)

Old 07-28-2022, 10:38 PM

16,072 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!!!
More likely a convenient and lazy arrangement based on prior experience. It's easier to unload properties.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:11 PM

398 posts, read 206,286 times
There was some TV show 'house flippers' or some poop like that. Its awful. Lets take an affordable house load it up with useless nonsense. Anyway nice thread. Its true.

Old 07-29-2022, 10:08 AM

565 posts, read 470,942 times
Hooverville, USA

Old 07-29-2022, 11:41 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

REIT's moved in on the foreclosed homes market pretty quickly. They've turned those properties around and offer them as rent-to-buy schemes (dominating the Craigslist rental listings), or just plain rentals. So with that level of capital coming into a community or region with foreclosed homes, they're able to commandeer the market, buying in bulk, as it were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Las Cruces