Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:17 PM

109 posts, read 359,702 times

Advertisements

[quote=BringontheSun;775950]I have an idea what you're experiencing having relocated from Miami.

Exiting Florida has its advantages. All that Florida sunshine and social interaction (some negative) may have given you some advantages. I can remember how impressed people were with me and my family. To some degree my ablitity speak good English rather than the self-proclaimed "lazy English" of most Knoxvillians, resulted in lots of interest. Also, when I unloaded my Miami experience (all the foreigners, crime, over-rated beach, etc.), it validated certain core conservative beliefs about city life.

Now, after several years, it's funny how SOME of the very things that irritated me are the very things I miss...go figure! I have posted two photos to illustrate a contrast. The first photo is one I took in Cades Cove. The second was a non-copyright photo post of Miami.

I get ya BringontheSun,

I am pretty sure that there will be times that I will remember the good times of Miami, but I am so ready to move on,...the big city lifestyle just has exhausted me, plus Miami is only going to get worse...I do not want to be there when it colapses...Plus my main motivation to hurry out besides all of that is I want to start a family...it is that time for me.......

One of the things I have to get use to is ya'lls accent...man..you guys really speak southern up here...I was born and raised in New Orleans and I thought that was a heavy accent, but TN...THAT IS DEFINETLY SOUTHERN..LOVE IT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 08:43 PM

I drove around the downtown area of Knoxville today, what is your opinion about that area? Specifically the University of Tennessee area, Cumberland Ave, etc?? Can anyone provide any insight of the area??? jobs, crime, real estate???? Thanks!

Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,326,725 times
YOU drove around there and want our take on it? That's different! What did you think?

Old 05-27-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
YOU drove around there and want our take on it? That's different! What did you think?
Well I do not live here, so I am asking if anyone is familiar with the area to let me know if it is a pretty decent area??? I thought it was ok, maybe rent there for a while, but again, I do not live there or familiar with that area...any help would be great..thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 01:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,326,725 times
Oh, okay. Well, I wouldn't live there. I suppose it's good for college kids, although it does skirt an area that isn't great, but just on one side. Unless you are going to college there, I wouldn't imagine it being that great of a place to live.

By the way, I was just in that hospital in the neighborhood!

Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 PM

61 posts, read 401,252 times
As a native Floridian myself, I can tell you that you WILL miss the lack of blue skies, white clouds and sunshine.

I have found myself getting depressed at times because we will go days without seeing the sun. And the blue skies are few and far between. I DO love the milder weather. I don't miss the 8-9 months of heat, but I do miss the vitamin D and blue skies.

My husband who isn't originally from FL but lived there for 18 years feels the same way. Lately we have been struggling with it. Just my input. Though when we DO get those clear days, it's breathtaking.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&D93 View Post
As a native Floridian myself, I can tell you that you WILL miss the lack of blue skies, white clouds and sunshine.

I have found myself getting depressed at times because we will go days without seeing the sun. And the blue skies are few and far between. I DO love the milder weather. I don't miss the 8-9 months of heat, but I do miss the vitamin D and blue skies.

My husband who isn't originally from FL but lived there for 18 years feels the same way. Lately we have been struggling with it. Just my input. Though when we DO get those clear days, it's breathtaking.
Then I guess we were really lucky than...We had the most beautiful days here in Knoxville on this Memorial weekend...Today we went to see some real estate..We went to the west area, Dante Court area, saw a new constructed 5 bedroom home for about $217,000 (not that we need to buy right now, but I am just comparing prices for now and just checking out residential areas...) Dante court is around the Powell Area, I thought it was ok, tight area though, it's a bit mixed...then we drove to Farragut area...WOW....that is a very nice area but very $$$$.....Big houses on the mountains, some around the lake...BEAUTIFUL!!!!I wonder where those people work.......Then we toured North Knoxville (Washington Pike and Roberts Rd) lot's of New construction and affordable homes, the one we saw was $209, but there are more lower price ones....Knoxville is getting expensive, however.....But nothing like Miami...Let's see what happens within a year from now....After that we drove to Maryville and went up to Tallassee, up to the lake area....Nice homes, but "far" up in the hills,,,but they do have a SUPERCENTER WALMART!! we went We got a pretty good idea of the area today....

Old 05-27-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Oh, okay. Well, I wouldn't live there. I suppose it's good for college kids, although it does skirt an area that isn't great, but just on one side. Unless you are going to college there, I wouldn't imagine it being that great of a place to live.

By the way, I was just in that hospital in the neighborhood!
Man, we missed ya...LOL....you are right...the downtown area is a good area for young students, or young couples...I would be in the young couple category, this area reminded me of New Orleans...of the west coast area...the homes are very similar..., not sure about this area to live, but my husband and I are thinking of renting for a while until we are familiar with the area...I am still worried about the job situation...Not sure how we are going to figure this out yet....but I guess selling my home in Miami is more stressful since the RE market is not good...I had an awesome say today, but leaving to Miami tomorrow

Old 05-28-2007, 03:46 PM

25 posts, read 100,121 times
Can anyone tell me how far Gatlinburg ids from Downton Knoxville? Or how far Maryville is from DT Knox.? Are these areas within a reasonable commute? Do the have older neighborhoods there? Are these areas growing or is growth flat.? Suzycue you say it reminded you of New Orleans. I'm from N.O. and am looking to relo to the area. What areas of Knox reminds you of N.O.?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Can anyone tell me how far Gatlinburg ids from Downton Knoxville? Or how far Maryville is from DT Knox.? Are these areas within a reasonable commute? Do the have older neighborhoods there? Are these areas growing or is growth flat.? Suzycue you say it reminded you of New Orleans. I'm from N.O. and am looking to relo to the area. What areas of Knox reminds you of N.O.?
I can tell you more less...Gatlinburg is pretty far from DT Knox, it is farther south maybe like 40 min??, Maryville is closer (like 20 min) even though it is also South, but it has better access to the interstate...so I would say Maryville is a more reasonable commute...Knoxville is growing very fast…..I was impressed on the amount of construction that there is in DT Knoxville...The area that reminded me of NO was the area of Cumberland Ave (this is around the University of Tennessee area and DT Knoxville) the homes around that area are very similar in construction of the homes in NO…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville