Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:28 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,712 times

Advertisements

J&EM and Susanne are u guys all planning on renting or buying? If so where in the area do u think was a good deal, or haven't you got that far?

I am liking that I won't be the only one that is not from the area........LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 12:14 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
We are just beginning our search for a new home. Last weekend's trip was just to see if we really would like Tennessee as much as we thought we might. We've traveled through before and have seen some of Kentucky as well as states towards the south and west (AR, TX, NM, CO, KS, MO and so on...) have family in FL, SC, NC, VA so have been around a bit without anything "calling" us.

Suzanne I do understand the traffic... my son rents in Pt. Orange and goes to school in Daytona. He complains about Daytona traffic but likes Orlando traffic even less. Our traffic has become worse over the years too, but not quite as bad as Orlando. Funny that we were there the same weekend.

The area around Maryville, especially towards the mountains was just beautiful and the people we met in that area were quite pleasant to us, so now we feel it is a very likely place for us to move to. Parts of the area around Greeneville were also beautiful. The next step will be harder as we actually try to buy a home. We haven't decided if we will rent and buy later or just go for broke and buy now. First order of business will be getting an agent to set up some places we can see on our next trip down. I have no clue what is better or worse as far as places to buy, so have no answers on that one! Give me another month or so and I might know!

I've been reading the forums for a while, and while a few cranky people get annoyed at the question, I think most of us worry about fitting in or being rejected for being an outsider or non-southerner. Knowing others are in the same boat does make it feel a little less likely that we will be odd man out.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:08 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,557 times
J&Em
I can give you the name of a realtor if you are interested. If so, let me know and I will send you a pm.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:11 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,681,557 times
Sillygal
We will be purchasing--preferably new construction.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks, I'd love some references! Once we have things narrowed down to what and where it'll help if we can have someone to work with.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 PM

812 posts, read 1,674,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne1945 View Post
We, too, just visited M'ville this past weekend. What a relief from traffic as we usually face in the Orlando area! Also, what a difference when folks truly go out of their way to help, answer questions, show patience and courtesy. We WILL be calling M'ville home shortly.
Orlando traffic isn't THAT bad (unless there's a magic game or you are talking I-4 by the attractions). Comming from Longwood/Altamonte springs, I do have to say I like it better, but compared to Miami, Orlando is not that bad..

Old 05-05-2007, 03:54 AM

32 posts, read 129,465 times
We just returned from our trip to Seymour and Maryville. Our trip was for the purpose of buying our new home in Tennessee!!!! After putting in a bid for a home in Seymour, we were told that Sevier has a 24 hour rule of some sort - anyone can come along and bid on the house and you can get bumped if you can't get the money in 24 hours. Since our house doesn't close til May 30, we lost a home. As fate has it though, our realtor showed us some beautiful homes in Maryville. For anyone that hasn't visited Maryville, please do. Yes, they have the busy traffic in the city, but the outer area is serenity now. Maryville has everything you need, and then some. We bought a home with an absolute gorgeous mountain view of Chilhowee Mountains in Blount County. We move in on May 31st and we can't wait! Our year long wait which seemed like eternity is coming near for us to move to the lovely state of Tennessee. We're from Illinois with no intentions of trying to change anything but hoping to contribute to the friendliness and economy of the area. Our next step will be to get our 13 year old son involved in the area starting with a church and finding his new school, and of course some new friends. Thanks to everyone for all of your insight.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,623 times
I used to live in Clinton which is not far from Maryville. I ran a recruiting station there in Maryville. What questions do you have?

Old 05-05-2007, 03:01 PM

We are leaning to recently constructed (as in last 10 years) but have not ruled out older homes in really good shape. I do not want to start out with another home to fix and pour $$$ into for years on end. Wish it could be brand new, built for me, but we don't have the time or $$ or patience.

Thanks Marine1, at the moment I don't have any beside finding some reliable and trustworthy Realtors to work with as we narrow down the areas we think we would be happiest living in as we grow old and grayer.

I'll be asking more questions as we go but am doing as much research for facts and numbers as I can so I don't get too silly in my questions.

Here is a typical silly but necessary one...One thing I never paid attention to is what the chains of supermarkets are in the area. Having family all over has made me realize the very things I think everyone has do not exist in other states, and in other places they have things that the locals are amazed I do without. So what places does one food shop and do any carry organic food? What about... Local farmers markets??? Book stores???

Where are good places to find walking and hiking trails that are not inundated with tourists? We have a lovely state park that is only "ours" for 5 months of the year, the 5 coldest most miserable ones. After that the locals don't go as the "city" folk descend for the warm weather.

I'm sure I'll have more as we start seeing possible homes to move to.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:24 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYoda View Post
We just returned from our trip to Seymour and Maryville. Our trip was for the purpose of buying our new home in Tennessee!!!! After putting in a bid for a home in Seymour, we were told that Sevier has a 24 hour rule of some sort - anyone can come along and bid on the house and you can get bumped if you can't get the money in 24 hours. Since our house doesn't close til May 30, we lost a home. As fate has it though, our realtor showed us some beautiful homes in Maryville. For anyone that hasn't visited Maryville, please do. Yes, they have the busy traffic in the city, but the outer area is serenity now. Maryville has everything you need, and then some. We bought a home with an absolute gorgeous mountain view of Chilhowee Mountains in Blount County. We move in on May 31st and we can't wait! Our year long wait which seemed like eternity is coming near for us to move to the lovely state of Tennessee. We're from Illinois with no intentions of trying to change anything but hoping to contribute to the friendliness and economy of the area. Our next step will be to get our 13 year old son involved in the area starting with a church and finding his new school, and of course some new friends. Thanks to everyone for all of your insight.
What a wonderful post! Congratulations on your new home in Maryville. I hope you and your family will love living there. Keep us posted on your family's progress with the new hometown. It sounds like you're doing the right thing, and I'm delighted you're moving to Tennessee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville