Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:19 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Good to know that you liked it. I would really love to go to that church.
With good reason Chris Buice is great. I think there are podcasts of some of his sermons on their site now, too.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Found it!

TVUUC

Old 05-18-2008, 04:45 AM

As some of you may have read, I am house hunting in Knoxville.

We did some searching in the area around Amherst Road. I believe we were in the area called "Hunting Hills West" and "Countryside." This is country suburbia.

Outside anyway, there were more blacks than whites. White neighbors sitting around with black neighbors. Two little boys skateboarding. One white and one black.

One of my good friends live near there and he says his neighborhood is the same way.

This is in WEST Knoxville. It looks like diversity is alive and well.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:32 AM

23 posts, read 60,520 times
Default Home Sweet Home

My German wife and my half- Puerto Rican self moved here in 1995. I have lived on the east side, attended the university, worked in Oak Ridge and now live on the west side. Because of the university and Oak Ridge, there is more diversity in Knoxville (and Knox County) than most areas this size (that is my unofficial take). We love it here and you will find that Knoxville will be what you want. There are areas in East Knoxville I wouldn't live; there is also a subdivision in west knoxville full of elite and rude people I wouldn't live in either. MOst places are fine - just find your place and welcome to knoxville.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:54 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Hik and Chuck51, those were both really nice-to-hear posts. One of the things that I have always enjoyed living in a college or university town is the wonderful blend of cultures, languages and backgrounds of your friends and neighbors.

We all are enriched by communities like Knoxville. I am sure that you will find just the right spot to live Indychic - and hiknapster! We will all be hoping for the best for you, I am sure.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 AM

38 posts, read 181,562 times
Talking I'm a Knoxville Resident!

YAY! I'm a Knoxville resident! Well, as of July 1st I will be a Knoxville resident. YAYAY!

We came down this past weekend to drive around and really get a feel for some of the areas that I've seen on the map and have heard about in this discussion board. It rained quite a bit while we were there, but it was still a great visit. Mostly, we were able to see how we were treated - and I can sucessfully say that my experience at the airport probably was an isolated event. Sad that was my first experience in Knoxville...but, at least it's not representative experience. The people were super nice and random people would talk to us...alot. LOL. We went to a SHoney's buffet...and while in line for the buffet I chatted with another young lady who pretty much covered her entire teenage years for me.

The west end was a bit expensive in terms of rentals. We didn't see many homes for rent (in our price range), and it looked like we'd have to do an apartment if we moved over there. So, we ended up renting a condo in the Inskip / Fountain City area (I think the exits were Broadway and Merchant around there). I love it!

Admittedly, the prices in Knoxville seem to be a little bit more than they are here in Indianapolis, IN. This was shocking...but, I suppose it's because it's a college town. I'm paying about 200-300 more than i wanted to, but the place is pretty much brand spankin' new.

Gas was cheaper in Knox than at home - so maybe I'll save a few dollars there. And, knoxville seemed smaller than Indy in terms of getting to and from different sides of town, which is awesome. Overall, I'm very happy to be moving to the area. We went down to the riverwalk, and drove around Neyland stadium, the Women's basketball hall of fame, old city (during the wee hours of the night to see the party folk)...somewhere on that drive I completely sold my partner on life in Knoxville. He's also excited that we're so close to Gatlinburg. What a pretty area of the country!

Thanks, everyone! All the comments were very helpful.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychic View Post
YAY! I'm a Knoxville resident! Well, as of July 1st I will be a Knoxville resident. YAYAY!

We came down this past weekend to drive around and really get a feel for some of the areas that I've seen on the map and have heard about in this discussion board. It rained quite a bit while we were there, but it was still a great visit. Mostly, we were able to see how we were treated - and I can sucessfully say that my experience at the airport probably was an isolated event. Sad that was my first experience in Knoxville...but, at least it's not representative experience. The people were super nice and random people would talk to us...alot. LOL. We went to a SHoney's buffet...and while in line for the buffet I chatted with another young lady who pretty much covered her entire teenage years for me.

The west end was a bit expensive in terms of rentals. We didn't see many homes for rent (in our price range), and it looked like we'd have to do an apartment if we moved over there. So, we ended up renting a condo in the Inskip / Fountain City area (I think the exits were Broadway and Merchant around there). I love it!

Admittedly, the prices in Knoxville seem to be a little bit more than they are here in Indianapolis, IN. This was shocking...but, I suppose it's because it's a college town. I'm paying about 200-300 more than i wanted to, but the place is pretty much brand spankin' new.

Gas was cheaper in Knox than at home - so maybe I'll save a few dollars there. And, knoxville seemed smaller than Indy in terms of getting to and from different sides of town, which is awesome. Overall, I'm very happy to be moving to the area. We went down to the riverwalk, and drove around Neyland stadium, the Women's basketball hall of fame, old city (during the wee hours of the night to see the party folk)...somewhere on that drive I completely sold my partner on life in Knoxville. He's also excited that we're so close to Gatlinburg. What a pretty area of the country!

Thanks, everyone! All the comments were very helpful.
Welcome to Knoxville!! It sounds like you'll fit right in.

And I think you're going to be living in a nice part of town. I'm not too far from the Inskip area. You're close to Fountain City and North Knoxville and some WONDERFUL locally-owned restaurants: Louis's, Harby's, Litton's, the Creamery, Fat's BBQ, and on and on.

Good luck with the move! Let us know how it all goes for you.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Smile Another happy camper.

Congratulations, Indychic! It is so exciting for me to follow someone through their process of finding just the right spot for them that right now I feel like your "mama"!!

I am very happy for you and your partner. What a wonderful way to visit and savor Knoxville to drive around and take in lots of different areas. I am sure that you are going to enjoy living there.

Your experiences is meeting and greeting other Tennesseans sounds pretty typical. It is a lot of fun, if you like to chit-chat, to exchange recipes and family histories while in the movie ticket line! It just all makes one feel that much more at home.

Keep us informed on the progress of your move and your impressions. It is enjoyable for us to keep up with others, and you will be helping someone else along the line through your search and experiences.

Best of everything, Indychic!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:43 PM

We told you!

We are a chatty bunch, aren't we?

Glad you liked our little city. I'm glad to call you neighbor! Welcome!

Old 05-19-2008, 03:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Just adding my Congrats and Welcomes to the ones already posted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville