Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,201 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Eastern TN. My husband is retired and I will work from home. We plan to buy a lakefront lot and build a home. In our research we've found we like Norris Lake, Cherokee Lake, Douglas Lake, and Watts Bar Lake. I need to be within 1 hour from the airport as I travel occasionally for work. Things we'd like: to be near a town with grocery store, some restaurants, a target like store. We don't want to be too remote. Being within a gated community is fine, but we don't want too many restrictions, also we are down sizing and want to build ranch house with about 1700 sq ft. so can't have a requirement to build something too big. We are going there for two weeks in June to see what will work.
Any help/suggestions would be so appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 07:55 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-girl View Post
My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Eastern TN. My husband is retired and I will work from home. We plan to buy a lakefront lot and build a home. In our research we've found we like Norris Lake, Cherokee Lake, Douglas Lake, and Watts Bar Lake. I need to be within 1 hour from the airport as I travel occasionally for work. Things we'd like: to be near a town with grocery store, some restaurants, a target like store. We don't want to be too remote. Being within a gated community is fine, but we don't want too many restrictions, also we are down sizing and want to build ranch house with about 1700 sq ft. so can't have a requirement to build something too big. We are going there for two weeks in June to see what will work.
Any help/suggestions would be so appreciated.
Hello - welcome to the forum. You will need to come visit to see what feels right and suits your needs. Also, please research this forum on previous threads. All the best!

Old 03-08-2020, 08:53 AM

585 posts, read 634,436 times
Budget is another huge consideration. You could build in Kahite or Rarity Bay or WindRiver, or even Tellico Village. You could also build directly on the Tennessee River (Hello Concord!) or is a lake a "must?" What size lake do you prefer? Big enough to fish and get lost, or more pond-like? Water clarity? Do you have a preference for East or West Knoxville areas? South or North?

I know you provided a good starting point, but we really do need some more information in order to better direct you to areas you might prefer.

The primary Target stores are in Farragut, Maryville, and there's one off the Pellissippi Pkwy (Alcoa?) I believe. All are within your 1 hour to the airport. That might help narrow your areas down.

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 03-08-2020 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: Address shopping requirements

Old 03-12-2020, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 9,201 times
Thank you for your reply! It looks like Kahite, Rarity Bay, WindRiver, or Tellico Village is above our budget. Also, I don't want to have to ask permission and color options to paint my front door. (Not that I want to paint it purple ;-). That being said, I wouldn't mid some restrictions such as trailer homes. We are middle class folks, my husband is planning on being the contractor for the new house as he has done that a few time before, and we are hoping to spend about $150,000 at the most on a lot. Lakefront is a must. We'd prefer a large lake rather than pond-like. We don't know the difference between it being north, south, east, or west of Knoxville (We would welcome any insight). We don't need Target per se, we just want a town close enough with some type of shopping and a few restaurants. We would love to be able to narrow down some areas as the four lake areas are far and wide. I am new to this site and love it! I've learned a lot so far. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:34 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Keep in mind impounded lakes (reservoirs) fluctuate a lot. If you're on a spur you may look at a muddy lake bottom at times. Then there's draw down too. If you're a boater with a floating dock, it can be a big deal. I prefer being very close to sharp drop offs rather then gently sloping lake edges.

I prefer Norris Lake, will not meet your airport needs, but you soul will be happy.

https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Envi...Health-Ratings

Old 03-13-2020, 08:53 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
Budget may be a problem for a decent lot.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:54 AM

196 posts, read 259,138 times
Norris is a bit farther from an airport, but that lake is amazing.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:19 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,510 times
A relative in the family has had a houseboat on Norris Lake for decades (a minimal-frills cabin on water really). I went once not too long ago. Their boat is based at one of the marinas off TN-33 just after one leaves the New Tazewell area. The lake is nice, with a lot of property on and around the shoreline. However, it felt more rural and is pretty far away from a decent sized metro area with what you are looking for.

Last time we visited Gatlinburg we took a road trip to Dandridge. We drove over Douglas Lake and the lake was pretty low, so low that some of the houseboats weren't even near the current waters edge. That definitely would've sucked, but it was the mid-Fall season and temps that year were pretty cool so I doubt it was prime boating season anyway. A store worker we spoke to in Dandridge said she lives in Knoxville and drives there for her job.

I'd say Douglas Lake over Norris Lake due to the proximity to Knoxville.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:00 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
A relative in the family has had a houseboat on Norris Lake for decades (a minimal-frills cabin on water really). I went once not too long ago. Their boat is based at one of the marinas off TN-33 just after one leaves the New Tazewell area. The lake is nice, with a lot of property on and around the shoreline. However, it felt more rural and is pretty far away from a decent sized metro area with what you are looking for.

Last time we visited Gatlinburg we took a road trip to Dandridge. We drove over Douglas Lake and the lake was pretty low, so low that some of the houseboats weren't even near the current waters edge. That definitely would've sucked, but it was the mid-Fall season and temps that year were pretty cool so I doubt it was prime boating season anyway. A store worker we spoke to in Dandridge said she lives in Knoxville and drives there for her job.

I'd say Douglas Lake over Norris Lake due to the proximity to Knoxville.
There are drawdowns on most lakes around here in the fall. Boating into October or later is usually going to be a bit ugly on any lake that does have a drawdown.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:29 PM

165 posts, read 93,519 times
My husband and I are also considering Eastern TN. for retirement/work P/T. We’ve travelled a little over the years, but not there. From some research, TN might be worth a look, so we’ll be checking on it soon. I find it odd that not many homes are built as a ranch, 1 story. We’ll probably build too. Good luck to us both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville