Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,262,755 times

Advertisements

Well, it might seem radical, but I would propose to extend BRT at the cost of cutting personal vehicle transportation; so instead of devoting another lane to cars, the BRT would use that. Don't think any buildings would have to be removed. Of course - I have never been a resident of Sevier County (just its neighbor) so there may be details like narrow bridges that have slipped up on me.

To the original post, I also think this is a good project. While much of Pigeon Forge is filled with mindless dribble, I've always found Dollywood and Splash Country to be quality development and I expect no less from the new announcement.

inave - BRT stands for Bus Rapid Transit. It's generally when busses travel in dedicated lanes (Avoiding much of the traffic) and have regular stops at "stations," much like a light rail or streetcar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,345,480 times
I'm firmly in the positive emotions group. I love Dolly and that is no secret on this board. Well, actually it's been quite awhile since I've gone on and on about how much I admire Ms. Parton. I consider her a genius but she also has heart. Dollywood is the most tasteful theme park I've ever been to and I used to live in Orlando! She'll do a great job with the DreamMore Resort.

I know that this has received a lot of publicity but I liked the interview she gave USA Today regarding her plans.

Dollywood launching $300M expansion

Good to hear that Pigeon Forge is getting a facelift, too. Some businesses look fine but others needed to be updated to say the least.

You know, the traffic is what it is. It's a vacation area and that is to be expected. If you go to Cape Cod during peak season, expect to sit in traffic. Same with most vacation spots. But adding an upscale hotel with Dolly's name is most welcome in my opinion.

By the way, I had no idea what BRT stood for, either!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:27 PM

10,093 posts, read 14,495,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Country music legend and Sevier County native Dolly Parton announced Wednesday a commitment to invest $300 million over the next 10 years in her hometown, where she plans to expand her Dollywood properties.

The capital investments include a 300-room resort that will be located on 100 acres adjacent to her namesake parks and a dual-launch coaster currently under construction in Dollywood.

Parton said she has always been a big dreamer who hoped to do more for her home in the Smoky Mountains. The 10-year investment is projected to create 2,500 jobs and generate an additional $150 million annually to the local economy.

[Video] Dolly Parton announces new resort, coaster in 10-year, $300M expansion » Knoxville News Sentinel
Exciting! Good to see she probably refocused her attention to the Pigeon Forge area after the investment with the Nashville thing didn't move forward.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Exciting! Good to see she probably refocused her attention to the Pigeon Forge area after the investment with the Nashville thing didn't move forward.
Actually, she withdrew from that plan after Gaylord sold management rights for its Opryland Resort & Convention Center to Marriott International.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,360,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You know, the traffic is what it is. It's a vacation area and that is to be expected. If you go to Cape Cod during peak season, expect to sit in traffic. Same with most vacation spots. But adding an upscale hotel with Dolly's name is most welcome in my opinion.
Absolutely right, Hik.

I dont think the tourists really mind like some who live around here do. It's expected to be busy, it's a popular destination.

I am with you in the positive camp.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:04 AM

166 posts, read 322,304 times
Compared to places like other tourist towns like - Orlando, the traffic isnt that bad.

Live in Sevierville and travel to Gburg for work. 30 min max...just about all year.

The Dollywood expansion is great news. Strickly in a business sense. the whole 2500 jobs.....i dont buy it. Mostly will be construction jobs and the profession that support it. What your seeing is just greed or should I say profit.

I havent seen any numbers about the amount of new tourist the area will see from this. We are only talking about a 300 room resort!! take a 70% occupancy rate......and you know.

When its all said and done. The residents of Sevier county will be left with nothing more than minimum wage salaries and some new roller coasters. Look up what a average employee makes an hr at Dollyhood.

The truth of the matter is, the PF/Gatinburg chambers better wake up. the REAL draw to the area is the GSMNP. Pigeon Forge is turning into ...well, lets just say its getting tacky. Gatlinburg is a mess.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:59 AM

Getting tacky? It's been that way for at least a couple of decades. Lest anyone forget, or didn't know, before Dollywood it was Rebel Railroad, then Goldrush Junction, then Goldrush, then Silver Dollar City.

If they are starting to renovate some of these hotels and attractions it would be a huge step in the right direction. Same with Gatlinburg. It looks a little better but the quality of the food and items in the stores is awful. It's not Martha's Vineyard or Kennebunkport, that's for sure.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:41 AM

345 posts, read 923,428 times
I will be the first to agree with "being tacky". But I believe that is slowly changing. Upgrades and facelifts of this magnitude cannot happen overnight. That said, the old run down hotels at the end of the Parkway are being purchased and either torn down and rebuilt or being renovated. The old motion theatre that sat empty for so long was just torn down and a new business is going in. Give it time, it's slowly happening.

Look at the Island. Did anyone seriously think that place was going to be reborn? I didn't. But look at it now! The Wheel is attracting people, tourists and locals. And the Margaritaville is being constructed and will be open next year. Things are happening here for the better.

Give it time. Tacky is slowly on it's way out.

Look at other nearby area's and how they've just continued to go down down down. Like Cherokee. It just pains me to see that area and what it's become. Pigeon Forge could have been like that and continued to go down, but it hasn't.

While I will agree with the job number that it says are being brought in, I believe it is lower as well, that number is designed to be a guesstimate, imho. With the birth of this new resort, the birth of other businesses will hopefully happen.

You can choose to think negative or positive on this project. Considering what I've seen, as a tourist years ago, to a resident now, I believe it's positive.

As far as Gatlinburg goes, it is what it is. It can't really get bigger, only attempt to restructure what it has. They are working on that as well and I give them credit for working on the ever so frustrating parking issue.

People used to think Knoxville was rundown and lost. And look at it now! It's rebirth has come through with the heart and soul of countless individuals who believed in it. My gratitude and respect for those people is immeasurable, as I come from a city just like Knoxville that just continues to die because those with the vision can't get past the starting line.

Sure, I'm partial. I live in Sevier County. But I see the upgrades and hear the talk of those who call this place home....and those who truly love this area, and hang their hat here, believe in the rebirth of the "tacky" portion of town.

Things are happening for the better here, just like in Knox County. I support the rebirth and look forward to the bud opening and the flower blooming here....

Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 AM

I have to wait to give you more rep, Mrs. Mopar.

This is so true about Knoxville. The difference is people avoided downtown like the plague. A certain group of people keep coming back to Sevier County over and over. But I'm glad the area is changing. Nothing wrong with a tourist area, they happen to be some of my favorite spots. But when they are an eyesore...

Where I come from, people get so mired down in regulation up there in Nanny Central that they can't past their exploratory committees. It's one reason I love Knoxville, it reminds me of Worcester. More aptly, it reminds me of what Worcester could have been.

Dollywood won't bring in big-paying jobs. Well, a few but not many. If you want that, you'll have to opt for a factory among the Smokies. But a nice resort, which is what she will create, should bring in other businesses like hers.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,813,585 times
When did you first imagine a resort? I imagined it about the same time I imagined building Dollywood. Then, within the third year after the park opened, I thought, we need our own resort. Because everybody would ask me, "Is there a hotel there?" and I'd say, "There's great hotels in our area." They'd say, "Yeah, but we want to stay kind of closer in." That was when I got the idea that people would really feel more comfortable if they knew they had a room near the park.
Dolly Parton imagined a Dollywood resort from the beginning | The Mountain Press

“This is the realization of a dream I’ve had for more than 30 years,” Parton said. “My DreamMore Resort conjures up thoughts of a simpler place and time when Mama and Daddy and all us kids spent hours on end just swapping stories and catching up. I want to offer families more than a place to stay; I want to invite them on the porch and in my front door where they can slow down, kick back and enjoy all that this beautiful area has to offer.”

...Featuring a variety of accommodations, the resort celebrates the iconic Southern gathering spot, beckoning to a time when families and friends sipped iced tea, enjoyed homemade ice cream and socialized. Centered on the rich traditions of storytelling, family and togetherness, the resort will feature many special touches including family sanctuaries like fire pits, swings and hammocks plus story spots scattered throughout the grounds.

Showcasing design features and décor elements that celebrate the area’s natural beauty, Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort includes an indoor and outdoor resort pool complex, a spa, and a full-service farmhouse-style restaurant.

Dollywood - DreamMore Resort

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville