Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,738 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are looking to move to TN within the next year. My husband has a chance to change his work location to Knoxville. We have family in Bulls Gap and Elizabethton & love to visit them! Right now we live in WV. While it is very nice here, this job transfer looks too good to pass up!
I do have children in 10th and 5th grades, so education is very important to me! My daughter has a GPA of 4.3 & takes all honors and AP classes. Right now we have a larger home on 2 acres in a secluded area within minutes of town. My husband drive 32 miles to work in another state and it takes him about 40 minutes. I would be looking for a similar (or less) commute for him in TN since his job does involve driving all day. I have looked into several areas, and Maynerdville seems nice, but what would the drive be like into Knoxville (John Deere Drive area)? We had lived in MD a while back & moved here for a simple life - to get away from that rat race! We lived about 40 miles from our jobs in Baltimore & it took about 45 minutes to get to work, but anywhere from 1-2 hours to get home (not looking to get into that again!). We would like to have land to have animals (chickens, pigs etc.), also it would be GREAT to be able to hunt on our own property! I do not have an issue with driving 30 minutes to the nearest shopping center (chain stores) but would like the local grocery store to be within 15 minutes. Any other ares we should look at? Here we have unrestricted property, where you can pretty much do anything you want on - do you have that in TN as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
It's Maynardville.

It's in Union County, known for not very good schools. Look on the Knoxville forum, I just put up a thread about local schools. That will get you in the right direction.

Where will he be working in Knoxville? You'll want to be fairly close to where he works.

I'm originally from the northeast and I want to caution you that Knoxville is not the "big" city. It's very small and I consider that a good thing. I'm from a very small town and I prefer to live in Knoxville. It just reads big town; the people are friendly and it is not overwhelming. Besides, the schools are really good and everything is nearby. You'll quickly realize that people have fairly short commutes here. There is absolutely no reason that your husband should be driving for 40 minutes to get to work. And depending on where he works and where you live in Maynardville, it could be even longer.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,738 times
Thank you - and I will check out the school thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Yeah, it's entirely possible to have a mini farm in Knox County and take advantage of better schools. Rural county school systems here are generally sub-par. Knox County has the L&N Stem Academy which is fairly close to John Deere Drive. http://knoxcountystemac.knoxschools.org/

If your husband is working at John Deere Drive, you might want to look at South Knox County (over the lake). Actually, check out some scores and opinions on Sevier County schools (I have no idea - they might be fine). The Seymour area is pretty rural, a quick drive into downtown Knoxville, and a pretty quick drive into Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.

Here's a beautiful shot of Seymour from its Wikipedia Page:

Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM

John Deere Drive is off of Cherry St.

I'd be looking at somewhere west of Knoxville if schools are a concern, and they are for this excellent parent. South Knoxville schools are struggling. I'm not sure if they are still failing but they were. Sevier County schools? I wouldn't send my kid there.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Hate to hear that about South Knox & Sevier schools. However, my suggestion about the L&N stands, although the OP would have to research enrollment policies. South Knox County is quite close to Cherry St.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:01 PM

394 posts, read 794,363 times
I'll second west Knox county. Hunting on your own land could be an issue. What's your budget?

You really need to come down and see for yourself (and read the forums as much as you can. Hint: use the search function).

We moved down from DC for retirement. The worst traffic here is a piece of cake compared to DC.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Hate to hear that about South Knox & Sevier schools. However, my suggestion about the L&N stands, although the OP would have to research enrollment policies. South Knox County is quite close to Cherry St.
And that's a good thing?

I don't ever bring up L&N since they only take rising 9th and 10th graders and then they could face a lottery system. It also is pretty specific. In other words, I would certainly suggest it if a parent said their kid was into science, technology, engineering and mathematics and fit the grade requirement. But that was not mentioned by the OP.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 AM

345 posts, read 921,991 times
I can't comment specifically about the schools because my children are grown and didn't attend here.
That said, I have a co-worker who's daughter graduated from the high school in Maynardville. She was also a 4.0 or better average student and has maintained that average in college. I live in Sevier County and attend Church here with many teenagers. I don't ever hear anything negative about the schools from them or their parents. All that just graduated are going to college; UT, ETSU, LMU, etc. Doesn't sound that awfully horrific to me but guess I'm partial because I live there and have close friends and family there.

What about Gibbs? That's a good school and the drive wouldn't be too hateful to John Deere Dr.

You can also try Straw Plains to live. The key is you state you are looking for property. You may want to check Blount or Sevier County. Or Jefferson. New Market area, just next to Straw Plains, sounds like are area you are looking for. Just a suggestion.

We almost bought a house in Maynardville. My husband used to work on Tazewell Pike, not near Knoxville but outside the city. It was lovely out there. We also almost bought a house in the Buffat Mill Rd area. Trust me, I've been through all those areas. But you are looking for land; seclusion. I understand completely.

Everyone here has their opinion of the area, as you can see.

John Deere Dr. is accessed by exit 390 off I-40. No offense but I wouldn't live in West Knoxville. The daily commute in rush hour through Knoxville is hateful. Some will say "oh it's not that bad" but that is my opinion. If you are used to it, and aren't bothered by it, then go for it. I used to drive rush hour to and from work every single day where I used to live. While we drive to work during rush hour every day, we exit at 390, just before the slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am traffic starts. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I wish you the best in your search. I know exactly what you are going through...it's tough. You'll find "home" soon enough though. Keep us updated on your progress and welcome to Tennessee!

Old 08-27-2013, 03:09 PM

79 posts, read 121,131 times
Maynardville has hunting. Every spring I see wild turkeys and deer in the city limits on hwy 33. Cows horses and pigs anywhere you want and it takes 20 minutes to get to Knoxville. Good luck evaluating the schools but you know it is the student who determines how much is learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville